Can police park on hard shoulder or shevrons of a motorway?

i recently saw police parked on the hard shoulder of a motorway under a bridge just before an ON ramp waiting for people joining the motorway on mobile phones.
im sure this is not legal as hard shoulders of motorways and dual carriagways are meant for emergency situations, surely sitting waiting for law breakers is not allowed in uk ?

Yes they can,obviously they wouldn’t sit on the hard shoulder if the other 3 lanes were at a standstill.
They are not governed by the same rules of the road as us Normals

Thay’ve been perched wherever they like for as long as i’ve been driving, they’ve probably gained grandfather rights by now… :sunglasses:

Probably covered by the same rules that state that a camera van can park on a site designated for “Police Patrol Vehicles Only”. By no stretch of the imagination can a camera van be described as such because the driver/operator is generally a civilian.

Unfortunately it comes down to the same old ■■■■■■■■, they can break the law to prosecute you breaking the law. A bit like when they jump in from a standing start, and do 140 to catch you, because you went past the radar gun at 80 :open_mouth:

Obviously up to them who charges the Chargers[emoji6]

I see them regularly on A1 just as it splits left to Team Valley from A194(M).

They sit on the chevrons between A1 and joining road from Washington/Birtley quite a lot. Best of luck to them. I’m doing nothing wrong so they’re not my problem !

As far as I am aware they cannot just do what they like and are subject to normal rules of the road unless its an emergency which would require them to be on blue lights.

How do you know they were waiting for mobile phone users? They could have been doing anything or waiting for someone in particular.

Regardless of wether it’s legal or not they do it, oddly enough I don’t know anyone inclined to ask them to move on.

Plod feel they are above the law, and do just as they like

This is opposite my office - they drive into the free car park (in the background) round the cars, pull up on the wrong side of the road, on double yellows, 2 wheels on the footpath, so their door is as close to the fish & chip as possible

I can also point out that the Police Station is about 250 yards away

And they wonder why they get little respect from the public !!

Don’t get me started on coppers, they never stick to speed limit, I got a parking ticket in a town center on my car about 12 yrs ago, its pedestrian area rest of wk but on a Sunday you can drive down it & parked there several times along with everyone else, anyway wether I was right or wrong in parking there a police van was parked outside Mc Donalds lower down, went to ask them if I wasn’t supposed to park there & a copper come out to the van with his Big Mac he said I couldn’t park there, so I said you’ve parked there, he then replied “were Police park were we like” that annoyed me more than ticket :smiling_imp:

Toddy2:

Plod feel they are above the law, and do just as they like

This is opposite my office - they drive into the free car park (in the background) round the cars, pull up on the wrong side of the road, on double yellows, 2 wheels on the footpath, so their door is as close to the fish & chip as possible

I can also point out that the Police Station is about 250 yards away

And they wonder why they get little respect from the public !!

It’s pictures like that that make me want to be in a wheel chair and put a nice big scratch down the side trying to get past

Juddian:
Thay’ve been perched wherever they like for as long as i’ve been driving, they’ve probably gained grandfather rights by now… :sunglasses:

not allowed :laughing: must have dcpc :sunglasses: or leave the industry. Lol :grimacing: