Can i work 16 hours a day?

is it possible to work upto 16 in a day if i spend over 4 hours continually parked?

not unless you deliver to a country outside the EU ,on ATER rules it still applies

Mr B:
is it possible to work upto 16 in a day if i spend over 4 hours continually parked?

No, the regulations stipulate a daily rest of 11 hours within the 24 hour period from the beginning of the shift, alternatively you can have a reduced daily rest of no less than 9 hours within 24 hours from the beginning of the shift, a reduced daily rest can be taken three times between two weekly rest periods.

If you have a reduced daily rest of 9 hours, it still leaves a maximum spread-over of 15 hours, that includes breaks.

Or you can have a split daily rest, the first part of a split daily rest should be no less than 3 hours, and the second part should be no less than 9 hours, this still leaves a spread-over of 15 hours.

malcolmj:
not unless you deliver to a country outside the EU ,on ATER rules it still applies

I think you’ll find that’s only if you have a split daily rest, under AETR regulations the last part of a split shift should be no less than 8 hours, but a split shift totals 12 hours rest.

Page 21 Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs

AETR rules

Rest periods

Daily rest periods

A driver must take a daily rest period of at least 11 continuous hours. This must be taken within each
period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily or weekly rest period.
Alternatively, 12 hours’ daily rest may be spread over the 24-hour period, taken in two or three periods,
the last of which must be at least 8 consecutive hours, and all of which must be at least 1 hour.
Drivers may reduce their daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, although this can be
done no more than three times in each fixed week. Reduced daily rest must be compensated for by
an equivalent period by the end of the week following the week when the reductions took place. This
compensating rest does not have to be taken in one block, but each piece must be added to another
rest period of at least 8 hours’ duration.

thanks. I heard it was possible but the guy who told me wasn’t very convincing.

Mr B:
thanks. I heard it was possible but the guy who told me wasn’t very convincing.

It used to be do-able, but the goalposts were moved recently (April ish this/last year) and that was one of the little dodges we lost.

You could get PAID for 16 hours under AETR rules if your boss said he will pay you from when you start the day to when you finish - that in effect would mean that the boss would pay you for the other 4 hours of rest you took during the day.

was always under the impression that you could have either a 4 hr break or a 2+2 or a 1+3 then extend your day to 16 hrs and reduce rest period to 8 hrs as this gave you a 12 hr break ,been in weighbridges a few times and never been pulled up for that yet??

volvotrucker:
was always under the impression that you could have either a 4 hr break or a 2+2 or a 1+3 then extend your day to 16 hrs and reduce rest period to 8 hrs as this gave you a 12 hr break ,been in weighbridges a few times and never been pulled up for that yet??

you could before last april :wink: but not now :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

volvotrucker:

Not since April Last Year

3 hrs consecutive + 9 hrs Consecutive for split shift

It use to 2 breaks exceeding 1hr totalling 4 hrs + 8 hrs but thats now long gone :frowning:

Yes you can work a 16 hour spread. like you say if your parked on break for 4 hours uninterupted for 4 hours you may take a reduced rest of 8 hours.
uninterupted is the term used not 1+3 or 2+2 or any other EU rubbish that they want to confuse us with just to make money from fines.

limeyphil:
Yes you can work a 16 hour spread. like you say if your parked on break for 4 hours uninterupted for 4 hours you may take a reduced rest of 8 hours.

Read the above again and read the bit about the rule change again.

No you cant do 16 spreadovers hours anymore

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:

Yes you can. i got pulled and asked the horses mouth.

limeyphil:

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:

Well … that’s what you get for talking to horses, wrong information :wink:

No longer can you do a 16 hour spread-over, under EU regulations 15 hours maximum.

It was a pantomime horse :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh no you can’t. :laughing:

Oh yes you can!

Well actually since 11th April 2007

‘rest’ means any uninterrupted period during which a
driver may freely dispose of his time;

‘daily rest period’ means the daily period during which a
driver may freely dispose of his time and covers a ‘regular
daily rest period’ and a ‘reduced daily rest period’:
– ‘regular daily rest period’ means any period of rest
of at least 11 hours. Alternatively, this regular daily
rest period may be taken in two periods, the first of
which must be an uninterrupted period of at least 3
hours and the second an uninterrupted period of at
least nine hours,

Oh no you cant.

Full Rules

edited to fix the quote - repton

What was supposed to be wrong with the 16 hole rule anyway ? I had no problem and found it very useful to me at times. :unamused:

limeyphil:

No you can’t. The horse lied. As others have already said in this thread the 4+8 break option to allow you to do a 16h shift no longer exists.

Paul

repton:

limeyphil:

No you can’t. The horse lied. As others have already said in this thread the 4+8 break option to allow you to do a 16h shift no longer exists.

Paul

The horse lied did he.
Then go to the high court in london. thats the horses mouth i’m talking about.
The same rules say you can’t work seven days.
well the high court see’s it a bit different.
quote from judge. “you can have 10 cards in a week as far as i’m concerned providing you have taken the required breaks and rest. case dismissed”.
don’t trust what you see in magazines. the result of test cases is what counts.
the tacho laws have not been replaced in the UK, they have been added to.
that makes a big difference when you are up against it.
open your minds to the bigger picture.

limeyphil:

Wheel Nut:

Well, the horse was talking out of his arse. The fact that you can’t tell one end of a horse from another is rather disturbing :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

It was legal up until 11 April 2007, when the rules changed. Now the maximum “spreadover” length is 15 hours, as your final rest period has to be a minimum of 9 hours (and 24-9=15).

The only advantage of using the “split daily rest” now is that it doesn’t use up one of your “reduced daily rest” days.

You can do a 21-hour spreadover shift if you’re running multi-manned, as you need 9 hours rest in 30.

DAFMAD:
What was supposed to be wrong with the 16 hole rule anyway ? I had no problem and found it very useful to me at times. :unamused:

From the same free information already posted above.

(16) It has proved possible under the rules of Regulation (EEC)
No 3820/85 to schedule daily driving periods and breaks
to enable a driver to drive for too long without a full
break, leading to reduced road safety and a deterioration
in the driver’s working conditions. It is therefore
appropriate to ensure that split breaks are so ordered
as to prevent abuse.

(17) This Regulation aims to improve social conditions for
employees who are covered by it, as well as to improve
general road safety. It does so mainly by means of the
provisions pertaining to maximum driving times per day,
per week and per period of two consecutive weeks, the
provision which obliges drivers to take a regular weekly
rest period at least once per two consecutive weeks and
the provisions which prescribe that under no circumstances
should a daily rest period be less than an
uninterrupted period of nine hours. Since those provisions
guarantee adequate rest, and also taking into
account experience with enforcement practices during
the past years, a system of compensation for reduced
daily rest periods is no longer necessary.

Wheel Nut:

DAFMAD:

From the same free information already posted above.

(16) It has proved possible under the rules of Regulation (EEC)
No 3820/85 to schedule daily driving periods and breaks
to enable a driver to drive for too long without a full
break, leading to reduced road safety and a deterioration
in the driver’s working conditions. It is therefore
appropriate to ensure that split breaks are so ordered
as to prevent abuse.

(17) This Regulation aims to improve social conditions for
employees who are covered by it, as well as to improve
general road safety. It does so mainly by means of the
provisions pertaining to maximum driving times per day,
per week and per period of two consecutive weeks, the
provision which obliges drivers to take a regular weekly
rest period at least once per two consecutive weeks and
the provisions which prescribe that under no circumstances
should a daily rest period be less than an
uninterrupted period of nine hours. Since those provisions
guarantee adequate rest, and also taking into
account experience with enforcement practices during
the past years, a system of compensation for reduced
daily rest periods is no longer necessary.

This may be what some EU pen pusher wrote.
However if the high court rules differently then that sets the law.
Which it did.
like i said “open up your mind”