Can I tow my 3.5ton recovery truck with my 3500kg trailer?

Hello

Quick question, so I had a 3.5 ton recovery truck where the engine seized on it and instead of fixing it I decided to buy a trailer and use it with my Mercedes ml320. I now have sold the truck but the customer wants it delivered so my question is, can I tow the truck on my trailer legally? I don’t see a issue with weight as the truck only weighs 2000kg but the length (bed) of the truck would stick out of the trailer by about 1 metre. My trailer is super long 19ft long and the truck fits on the trailer no issues and would be strapped down on all 4 wheels no issues. Can I also tow medium based vans/long wheel base vans etc on my trailer? Thanks.

Are you sure your ML is 3500 capacity (some are 2650) and the trailer is less than 1500 (obviously)
gov.uk/government/publicati … he-vehicle
No requirement for less than a metre, clearly visible over a metre, marker boards only required 2m out the back.

Sounds like it’s fine.
(You haven’t said you have a B+E license [emoji1787])

stu675:
Are you sure your ML is 3500 capacity (some are 2650) and the trailer is less than 1500 (obviously)
No requirement for less than a metre, clearly visible over a metre, marker boards only required 2m out the back.

Sounds like it’s fine.

Logbook states 3500 and trailer itself has plate for 3500kg with trailer weighing about 800kg which in theory gives me 2700kg to play with.

b+e license don’t have only as I have read since December 2021 it is no longer required to do a test for trailer? Correct me if I’m wrong thanks.

Looks ok to me

Can trailer lights be seen with the 1 metre overhang :question:

stu675:

When the government altered the licencing in 2022 doesn’t everyone have B+E now like it used to be for everyone who passed their car test before 1997?

yup, b+e no longer requires a test.

Hussnainh8:

stu675:

Sounds like it’s fine.

Logbook states 3500 and trailer itself has plate for 3500kg with trailer weighing about 800kg which in theory gives me 2700kg to play with.

b+e license don’t have only as I have read since December 2021 it is no longer required to do a test for trailer? Correct me if I’m wrong thanks.

Yup, you’re fine. gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-f … utumn-2021

Interestingly there’s still a difference between people who passed prior 1/12/97 who have an 8,250 GTW and those after who get 3,500 + 3500 MAMs

stu675:
Interestingly there’s still a difference between people who passed prior 1/12/97 who have an 8,250 GTW and those after who get 3,500 + 3500 MAMs

LGV C1 7.5 + 750kg trailer = 8250 for example

Does not matter with B+E because any trailer over3.5 tonnes would require more than over run brakes

used to be the case that suspend and tow trucks were exempt from test and very low road tax . you had to go into the tax office in january in person to tax them .have a feeling theyre still exempt judging by the very old trucks i see about

dropbox.com/s/grmjt1bm5cqvu … 5.jpg?dl=0

Thank you guys for the help. Last question I have, yestarday I towed a medium wheel base van weighing around 2000kg and although I had no issues loading it as well as the trailer handling the weight no issues, I couldn’t seem to go more than 45mph on the motorway as it was swaying everywhere. What’s the reason for this? I’m thinking as the weight of the van is at the front and wind blows the roof causing it to sway? I also would like to clarify ones again to 100% make sure it is legal to tow a van this size. Mwb or a lwb. I’m not over weight and I am strapped down on all 4 corners but I can imagine how the police would see it and cause a issue over it potentially.

Thanks.

Too much weight on rear of the trailer and not enough on the nose so taking weight off the rear tyres of the car. A useful and informative video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

I would have that van right up with its nose nearly touching the winch, another 18 inches forward will make a world of difference to the balance.

^^^ that’s the perfect video fuzrat to explain it.
But you do need to know your towball weight limit of the car and you could measure the trailer as per pic.
Check this out! amzn.eu/d/fltIsik

More here
caravanguard.co.uk/news/tip … tched%20up.

Hussnainh8:
? I also would like to clarify ones again to 100% make sure it is legal to tow a van this size. Mwb or a lwb. I’m not over weight and I am strapped down on all 4 corners but I can imagine how the police would see it and cause a issue over it potentially.

Thanks.

The police can’t just say “I don’t like the look of that!” They have rules that they have to show that you are breaking. So, licence, insurance, MOT, tax, length, width, height, weight and secure
Learn what the rules are for every single one of those and then you will know if you are complying with them.
(I take it you’re insured for the business use that you are doing? And explained you’re towing?)

stu675:
The police can’t just say “I don’t like the look of that!”

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Those of us who are familiar with Cleveland Police, who are one of six forces “in special measures”, cannot share your optimism
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w … e-61993621

The Tees Valley Mayor said: CLEVELAND Police need “chucking in the bin”.
thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ … ebuilding/

Part of which probably comes from their illegal phone tapping activities
gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees … s-14327334

EDIT: just today they’re having a boo-hoo and claiming it’s not fair that: Last week HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary Andy Cooke told MPs the force was the worst performing.
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-64398977

Back to OPs concerns:
The police can stop a vehicle for any reason. If they ask you to stop, you should always pull over when it’s safe to do so. You’re breaking the law if you do not stop.
gov.uk/stopped-by-police-wh … our-rights

And, where it comes to commercial vehicles, Police won’t admit when they’re wrong about their all-too-rapidly-acquired, and relatively superficial, knowledge, and will still prohibit, or threaten to prohibit, at the roadside.

Northumbria police have even (several times) charged HGV drivers for not carrying their DQC when they’re simply driving their private car!
This is obviously massively wrong, and you can easily get the charge overturned by a Magistrate when you challenge it, but they threaten to arrest you if you refuse to accept it at the roadside.