Can I still drive a PCV on an LGV licence?

I’m a bus mechanic and I hold a LGV C+E licence, but not a PSV licence. I have never done any CPC training.
I was always told that I didn’t need a CPC as a mechanic and that I could drive a PCV as long as it was in connection with my work as a mechanic and I didn’t carry passengers.
I was told yesterday that the rules changed recently and the licence exemption no longer applies, so I’ve been searching on line and can’t find anything.

It looks like I’m OK with no CPC. gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc- … s-examples

You don’t need to have Driver CPC if you’re not a professional driver but your work includes an incidental element of driving empty lorries, buses and coaches in the local area. You will need to satisfy the following conditions if:

you’re driving within 50 km of your base
you’re not carrying passengers or goods

Does anyone know, or have a link to, the current rules on PCV driving with an LGV licence?

You can drive it but not with passengers ie test drive or mot run.

So if you decided to become a weirdo, and drive unemployed and elderly people around all day, what do you need to do?

Is there a ’ conversion ’ course required? And do you have to enjoy wearing a jumper?

eagerbeaver:
So if you decided to become a weirdo, and drive unemployed and elderly people around all day, what do you need to do?

Is there a ’ conversion ’ course required? And do you have to enjoy wearing a jumper?

You need to change your name to “Colin”.

The new rules mean that you cant drive the bus on the road without a bus licence,not even to a test centre.You could become a jumper wearing wierdo in your own time but you cant accept any payment for this.

The new rules mean that you cant drive the bus on the road without a bus licence,not even to a test centre.

Thanks for the conflicting advice. :confused:
Is this on the VOSA or DVSA or any other official web site? I can’t find it anywhere.

the nodding donkey:
You need to change your name to “Colin”.

Why Colin why not robert.What up with the name.

Short answer, no you can’t.

Long Answer: (see this thread for more discussion)

djw:
The concession allowing some category C holder to drive a PCV in some circumstances (previously in regulation 7(1) of The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licence) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2864)) was revoked by regulation 4 of The Road Traffic Act 1988 and Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (SI 2014/3190) effective from 29 December 2014.

Contrary to my earlier suggestion, there is no saving provision for people who held a C licence for two years at the date of revocation.

From 29 December 2014, a category C licence cannot be used to drive a PCV under any circumstances. Anyone driving a PCV, even if it is empty for repair, needs a category D licence.

rickshawcabtaxi:
Hear is a cut and paste from Croner, note late para I THINK in this case the rule change was retrospective :question: :laughing:

There was no retrospective effect. The revocation of the previous concession came into force on the effective date of the revoking Statutory Instrument.

Did you even consider asking the DVLA?

Better than asking a few drivers I would have thought?

Thanks Chris, that’s exactly what I was looking for.
Looks like there’s going to be some changes in my duties at work from tomorrow then.

I hold a class one lorry licence but own a couple of old buses and I do not have a pcv licence. I can drive any bus as long as it is over 30 years old with up to eight passengers and not for hire or reward. I also do not have to go for the cpc lessons so I missed out on being able to flick balls of paper at another pupil with my ruler.
I have posted on here somewhere before that it is stupid that I can drive a 70 year old bus with crash gearbox and vacuum brakes around the world with eight passengers but cannot drive a new press and go job half a mile down the road.

I was thinking similar myself, Numbum. I’m no longer trusted to drive a 30’ long bus that struggles to reach 50mph, but if I load it on to a 45’ trailer pulled by a truck that will easily do 56mph, I’m OK.

I hold a C licence and a D licence so I can drive a road train thats one of those things that look a little bit like a steam engine that pulls a couple of carriages behind loaded with about twenty fare paying passengers.There is no need for a plus E on the license because it doesnt have to be taken apart in service.

alamcculloch:
I hold a C licence and a D licence so I can drive a road train thats one of those things that look a little bit like a steam engine that pulls a couple of carriages behind loaded with about twenty fare paying passengers.There is no need for a plus E on the license because it doesnt have to be taken apart in service.

Does it go Beep Beep, or choo choo… :laughing: :laughing:

They go choo choo with the air powered whistle and they go beep beep with an ordinary motor vehicle horn.You can pass your bus test and drive that with no TRAINING in towing or knowledge ofconnecting the suzzies,the carriages are air braked.

I want this job… :laughing: :unamused:

In summertime there is a road train service in Broughty Ferry and also in Arbroath.I drovethe Arbroath one in connection with Driver Hire,they promised mr a fiver for thetravelling which Iam still waiting for.Ahh agencies love them to bits.

Honked:

Yes,but
You could convert such a National Express Bus as Mobil Home and drive with Family or Friends around Europe. But no Commercial Driving

I printed the legislation from the government web site and took it in to work.
It turns out there are at least two other people within the company I work for who have been driving under that exemption who didn’t know it had ended.
It doesn’t help that Regulation 7 still shows the exemption, the web page hasn’t been updated with the amendment that removes paragraph 1 and there is no mention on that page of any amendments. It’s almost as if they are deliberately trying to catch people out.
There’s probably quite a few bus mechanics, or mechanics at garages that work on trucks and buses, who are still driving buses without a licence.