Can I ignore the tachograph head.. its flashing

Start work @ 1200 get unit @ 1400 have a 15min other work and have 15min break on tacho drive to yard 1hr have 50min poa here drive to customer 2hr away have 30min break now need to 3hr drive back is this legal can I ignore the flashing light

did you drive before taking the first 15 min break? even for just 1 min. If not that break will count towards resetting working time but not drive time. If that is the case, no dont ignore the flashing warning, you will need another half hour break to reset drive.

Fuzrat:
did you drive before taking the first 15 min break? even for just 1 min. If not that break will count towards resetting working time but not drive time. If that is the case, no dont ignore the flashing warning, you will need another half hour break to reset drive.

No I did my vehicle checks then straight 15min break thanks il Park up :slight_smile:

TruckDriverBen:

Fuzrat:

No I did my vehicle checks then straight 15min break thanks il Park up :slight_smile:

Should have drove forward to check the tyres on vehicle check, this would have then registered 1 minutes drive then your 15 would have counted :wink:

shullbit:

TruckDriverBen:

Fuzrat:

Should have drove forward to check the tyres on vehicle check, this would have then registered 1 minutes drive then your 15 would have counted :wink:

You need to drive for at least 30 seconds to get the tacho to record a minute of driving time.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

shullbit:

TruckDriverBen:

Fuzrat:

You need to drive for at least 30 seconds to get the tacho to record a minute of driving time.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Drive forward very slowly then :laughing:

Even if you did drive, as others have said, before the the first 15 break, the 50 minute poa would have reset your driving time on the tacho.
Is it legal? Provided you did drive before the first break then I reckon it probably is.

Arrive at work…

Get given keys for vehicle reg number blah blah blah. Walk out into rainswept yard, start looking for vehicle reg number blah blah blah, walk to the last motor at the bottom of the yard to find it was the first one you walked past just outside the office. Put kit in, put card in and set tacho to other excuses mode. Do vehicle checks, set up dashcam, connect bluetooth, fiddle with seat, radio and mirrors. Go to despatch office to be told the trailer won’t be ready for another half an hour. Go back to lorry, start lorry up and drive lorry to the bottom of the yard to top up washer fluid and get nasty looking slimy dead insect off windscreen. Find that the last driver emptied the washer fluid watering can, fill it all up then top up washers. Go back to previous parking space and put tacho to sleepy go bye-byes mode.

TruckDriverBen:
Start work @ 1200 get unit @ 1400 have a 15min other work and have 15min break on tacho drive to yard 1hr have 50min poa here drive to customer 2hr away have 30min break now need to 3hr drive back is this legal can I ignore the flashing light

Tacho should of been on poa from 12-14 . 00 , poor work ethic , I’d bet my last pound you’ll be the driver in the t/O on a Friday saying you can’t do the job as you’ve not got enough work hours left
If I was in charge you’d be getting a letter saying unless you bring your working time hours down you’ll be having a week off unpaid
■■■■■■ me off when I & other drivers who book poa properly have to do the long runs because of you & your mates scheming to get out of them !!!

Mystery Action:
, the 50 minute poa would have reset your driving time on the tacho.

Wow! Maybe you could try some CPC?

stu675:

Mystery Action:

Why when he’s correct?

The digital tachograph is programmed to recognise POA as break and after 45 minutes of POA will wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display , a lot of drivers have been caught out on this and ended up with infringements for insufficient break because the POA they’ve had has wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display.

Legally POA does not count as break and never has but for some reason the EU powers that be specified that POA will count as break for the tachograph display.

tachograph:

stu675:

Mystery Action:

Why when he’s correct?

The digital tachograph is programmed to recognise POA as break and after 45 minutes of POA will wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display , a lot of drivers have been caught out on this and ended up with infringements for insufficient break because the POA they’ve had has wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display.

Legally POA does not count as break and never has but for some reason the EU powers that be specified that POA will count as break for the tachograph display.

Agreed.

From Croner:
“This is a different interpretation to much of Europe and as such digital tachographs view PoA as a break in their internal software. Therefore, if a driver was to take 45 minutes PoA in a digital vehicle, this would “wipe the slate clean” for the 4½ hours driving period being displayed to the driver. However, under the UK interpretation, this would not be the case and in those circumstances, if using PoA, the driver must be very careful to calculate their own 4½ hours driving periods and not to rely upon the display for compliance.”
app.croneri.co.uk/feature-artic … -explained

Maybe the reason is to do with double-manning?
The tacho automatically reverting from break to drive for #1 and to POA for #2 when vehicle moves, although #2 could be on a legal break.

I stand corrected. Thank you

stu675:
I stand corrected. Thank you

It’s the reason why some of us on this board always say that if you get paid for breaks use break instead of POA.

POA can be useful in circumstances where a driver doesn’t want to reset the 4.5 hour driving time until later in the day but it can cause problems for the unsuspecting.