Can I get sponsored/helped with doing my class 2

Would a company help me with doing my class 2 course as if recently got layer off and my old works went busted and can’t afford to pay me?

Highly unlikely nowadays for this to happen,BUT go speak to the job centre they may fund your training as they have a budget for retraining people with new skills that have been made redundant.
Mate of mine got his class 2 paid for through a training scheme funded by the government.

Iirc you have to be unemployed for 6 months for them to put you through.

I can’t answer the question as to whether a firm will put you through training - although if you were to look at it from their point of view then it naturally begs the question, why should they? Unless you were prepared to sign yourself up to some sort of commitment or repayment then you could just get the training and leave. And if you were thinking of repayment, then think along the lines of Career Development Loan, straight Bank loan or even a Credit Card.

That leaves the governmental funding option.
I can give you some advice as I am currently in the middle of that application process myself.
In fact, I have the meeting to submit my information and get the application on the go this coming Monday.

Long and short is that there is always a pot of training money around.
It just depends on how big that pot is and how ‘they’ decide to allocate it.
As an example of the ‘vagueness’, I have been told that this could be quite a good time to apply as we are approaching the fiscal year end and as such there could be a good amount of money left that still needs to be dispersed. Equally, however, the complete opposite may be true and this would then turn into the worst possible time to apply. And funnily enough, no one can tell you that, you just have to apply and find out :unamused:
As far as I can establish, there is just simply no external auditing as to how much is allocated each year to each local region and whether that money was used wisely or not.
The Job Centre was also unable to tell me exactly what the criteria were for making a successful application - as well as the fact that there is no right to appeal if unsuccessful.
Also it is not actually ‘you’ who completes the application, as far as I understand. You go in with the required information and it is down to your ‘Coach’ (yes they call them that nowadays) to complete and submit the application for you.

One thing I know for certain is that I am lucky in that I already have a firm offer of employment on the basis I complete my Class 1 training and pass the appropriate tests.
Without this I was told there was little point in applying - as who is to say that just because I receive training, I will then be able to find a job.
The thing you might have to emphasize is the hole you find yourself in after your former employer closed down - and I am assuming there will also be no redundancy which you could have put towards retraining?

I would also suggest going to your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Aside from helping you with any short term benefit or money troubles (which is where they really shine) they often are aware of all sorts of other training funds available in your specific area - or also perhaps of European funds that get allocated in a different way to the norm and so might be missed.
As an example, if my funding is turned down by the Job Centre, then in my very local area there is a charity that was set up by a former wealthy family and whose aim is to help people with the costs of training and education. Something to look into should I need to.

Anyways, hope some of that might help.
If anything else pops up as I go along I’ll let you know.

Jon

October/November Reynolds at Waltham smth was advertising for Class 2 sponsorship.

Guaranteed ■■■■ job after that - but it does happen.

Their advertisement was on Reed so keep looking.

gampla:
Would a company help me with doing my class 2 course as if recently got layer off and my old works went busted and can’t afford to pay me?

Were you made redundant? If yes and depending on where you live, it may be possible to get funding or part funding gov based.

I got a bank loan to cover my license costs.

Radar19:

That’s one way of doing it , although the interest of lending is usually high.

I work all the hours possible overtime, saved and paid for all my hgv therory ,training, tests , dcpc, adr , digi card .

Each to there own.

Where I worked they made everyone redundant due to the business closing , I already had my licences & out there running containers, and the warehouse bods wanted to take their class2 and were offered gov help, but only to pay half of the initial training fee. I was up in Ellesmere Port doing my ADR & was talking to someone who had been made redundant & also had gov funding for their hgv training.
I suppose it depends on your circumstances & probably a case of asking around to see what is available.

bonnie lass:

Radar19:

That’s one way of doing it , although the interest of lending is usually high.

I work all the hours possible overtime, saved and paid for all my hgv therory ,training, tests , dcpc, adr , digi card .

Each to there own.

Where I worked they made everyone redundant due to the business closing , I already had my licences & out there running containers, and the warehouse bods wanted to take their class2 and were offered gov help, but only to pay half of the initial training fee. I was up in Ellesmere Port doing my ADR & was talking to someone who had been made redundant & also had gov funding for their hgv training.
I suppose it depends on your circumstances & probably a case of asking around to see what is available.

The job I was working before I started my HGV training wouldn’t be able to fund it. The loan was pretty good considering my age and credit history. £2000 loan over 4 years. £55.51 a month. I think I will end paying £600 in interest over those 4 years but I’m now paying more off each month now.

bit late as the above have confirmed what i found myself.
Having been self employed for 3 years I wanted a change of career but hit every brick wall you can imagine, funny how people who want to progress or to work full stop are usually the ones that get sod all help. however over that now.

Instead I decided to sell my own vehicle to raise the cash to do the training, luckily my wife also has a motor so for the few weeks I had a backup i could use,

However dont give up trying to get the funds together I just wouldnt recommend places like provident,shopacheck etc etc as youll end up paying triple back.