Can i drive a HGV class 1/2 after losing my right arm?

Ive just recently lost my right arm after rolling my lorry in an accident! Devestated doesnt cut it!! Im desperate to know if ill be able to drive and work again. Does any of you know of anyone who has gone through the same and is driving again? I know its a while off but gives me hope, driving is my life!! Thanks Ste

Ste Oki:
Ive just recently lost my right arm after rolling my lorry in an accident! Devestated doesnt cut it!! Im desperate to know if ill be able to drive and work again. Does any of you know of anyone who has gone through the same and is driving again? I know its a while off but gives me hope, driving is my life!! Thanks Ste

sorry for your loss of a limb, yes there’s a few knocking around still, and if you’ve got a good gaffer he will fork out for the adaptions! Good luck in the future pal. :grimacing:

It could be a possibility as there are a few known who have lost a leg still holding their c or ce vocational licence, with the adaptations, My concern wouldn’t be the actual driving , but the entering and exiting the cab safely , and being able to do other parts of the job,(although a lot would be down to the employer ) unless you are an OD ect

Ste Oki:

Sorry to hear about your arm.
Best way is to contact DVLA and/or DVSA.
I had a colleague in US who drove truck with one arm, but was allowed only automatics(licence endorsement).

Good luck.

The company I drive for used to have a driver with one arm , Im not sure but think it was his right one.
He had a false arm with some kind of hook on it and it would fix on to some kind of attachment (some kind of ball socket) fixed to the steering wheel.
He used to work nights and had different trucks most nights and the attachment could be swapped around from truck to truck as it was not permanently fixed to the wheel.
He managed the job alright which involved night trunking including changing trailers.

i don’t see why not ,ive seen many peope over the years with various amputations most with some adaptions some with none ,what you must do though is look after the arm you have left because if you lose that one aswell as my mate did in the last 12 months you have two main problems, you have to get your beer in a bucket with a very long straw and you find out who your friends are when you need a ■■■■,good luck :laughing:

Firstly and most importantly sorry about the loss of your arm. However you lived and thats the main thing.

I have no idea on the finer points of the medical but I remember seeing in the news a few years ago about an investigation into a bumpy plane landing (no one hurt). It was because the pilot had a prosthetic arm that became detached at a bad moment.

If they will let him fly a plane I am sure they will let you drive a truck!

Good luck with your recovery

What with manual gearboxes now being an optional extra so everything is automatic and with those knobs you have been able to get to attach to steering wheels seemingly forever I can’t see much of a reason why not, its not like days of old where auto boxes were unheard of outside of buses and coaches. I’ve come across enough drivers with one leg in my time and that never seemed to be an issue.

Ste

I’m an amputee in that I had a fore quarter amputation of my left arm and yes I drive HGV, you may have a little wrangling with the DVLA but not reason in the wide world why you can’t drive. I used to do general haulage so quite allot of trailer swapping was involved so strengthen your other arm in order to assist with putting on suzzie’s, as 9 psi might not seem allot but believe you me it is especially with rust / corroded hose ends. Fighting with curtains is a challenge with two arms but has had it’s moment in the past :slight_smile:

Probably most importantly “don’t be afraid to ask others” most other trucks are a great bunch of people and if stuck are more than willing to assist.

Guy drives for Wilson Stevens in Cupar has one arm. I got talking to him a few year back wasn’t the driving I wondered about, it was everything else like putting a licence plate on or doing a strap etc. He just says you find a way to adapt. I wish i had his number would have came in handy to give you advice.

Wilson Stevens is a good company though if you phoned them up and asked them the ins and outs I’m sure they’d help maybe even put you in touch with the guy.

Hi ste, I lost my right hand in an accident when I was 15 and got my class 1 when I turned 21 passing my test in Ford d1000, I had a bit of a fight with the DVLA or whatever it was called then and drove many a different type of lorry mainly artics and this was when auto gearboxes were not the norm in lorries, I just had a ball I fastened to the steering wheel, did all kinds of work, had a few problems but someone would help if they saw me struggling, one place were I worked we had a driver come for a load who had 1 hand and seeing him rope and sheet was great and doubt a fully abled person could have done it better, I wish you well and hope you are okay

Bloke on agency at DHL Bristol area don’t have a left arm and drives for them , can’t see how he passes their SSOW though then there’s the tail lift that needs you to hold in 2 buttons to make it work :open_mouth:

kernan_d:
Probably most importantly “don’t be afraid to ask others” most other trucks are a great bunch of people and if stuck are more than willing to assist.

I have made use of that a couple of times in the last few months. I rolled a lorry in August last year, I managed to remove the meat from my forearm and elbow so they took some from between my elbow and shoulder. Ended up having 4 operations on it to get the arm looking reasonable again - Other then the missing meat its just scars and skin grafts and I wasn’t a model to begin with so im not to fussed on the scars.

Obviously the people I work with know about it so will lend a hand when needed but even on the road others have helped if needed. I have had 10 weeks of work due to operations but im hoping for no more issues with it in the future.

I hope you find a good firm willing to help, when I was in the hospital I did think to myself what would I have done for work if I lost my arm? I actually like driving lorries so it would have been poop to think I would have to give it up.

I can’t answer your question but I really hope you can. In these days of autos I really can’t see why it’d be a problem.

And as others have said if you encountered any problems you needed help with ask, no one in their right mind would refuse To help

I have seen a guy who drives CE with 1 arm had false arm on other thing went across his chest to fasten ( seen him ruling up 1 day ) IIRC it was a bulk tipper he was driving can’t remember which arm it was but he seemed to manage

So yep can be done

An old mate of mine had accident on motorbike many years ago lost his arm ok had to do another test & bike adapted but still rode no problem

I worked with a guy with one arm that didn’t work, it wasn’t removed just didn’t work ,severed the nerves in an accident.
Great lad and driver doing tipper work.and still at it .
Boss at the time thought the world of him.

Hi ste,I lost the use of my right arm in a bike accident many moons ago.got my class 1 and 2 licences,(auto) in 2008 thanks to billy bowie tankers hiring me auto’s to train and sit the tests in.I’ve been driving bulk tippers for the past 6 years.You will find your own way round any problems that arise. I don’t use a steering ball,as i find it buggers up indicating off roundabouts.My examiner didn’t have a problem with me palming the wheel to turn,so no adaptions needed apart from an auto’ box.So sorry to tell you ste,you don’t get out of this job that easy. :smiley: .

Ste Oki:

Of course you can, there’s loads of Polish drivers on the road with no eyes :grimacing:

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back lads I’ve only just logged back in today.

Your messages have been great and made me feel so much better and that there’s hope out there that one day I will work again.

Thanks for all your well wishes, means a lot.

Ste

Ste Oki:

Can ask tim for henrys job ste