Can HGVs use knutsford services?

For months I’ve been driving past knutsford services, but I’ve never planned my break there because on the signs on the M6 there is clearly a picture of a lorry with a red diagonal line through,mindicwting no HGVs. Makes sense really with Lymm truck stop being so close.

Today though I drove past and had a look at both sides on the way past and I saw HGVs parked in there.

So are the signs saying no HGVs old and redundant or do drivers just ignore them and find somewhere to squeeze in on the car park??

Yes, and i diesel’d up there this morning, north bound :smiley: :smiley:

Ooooh…you rebel Tango!

Bet you had a ■■■■ on the toilet seat too.

eagerbeaver:
Ooooh…you rebel Tango!

Bet you had a ■■■■ on the toilet seat too.

No up the wheel while filling up :wink:

tango boy:

So let me get his right… They’ve gone to the trouble of saying no HGVs on a sign, but they got an HGV lane for diesel? That makes sense!

There’s only a ‘tiny’ amount of ‘emergency’ parking NB and not much SB, pretty sure it’s easy enough to get fuel though.
Due to the old nature of the site and being lanlocked and in greenbelt etc Moto ended up doing a deal to buy Poplar Truckstop (Lymm) and expanding it as a ‘split’ MSA facility, the first, last and only time it has happened.
A few years ago i pulled up with some dozy bint who ran out of fuel 1/2 way up lane 2 of the M56 jnc 14 slip trying to get to Chester services as she thought the red line through the truck at Knutsford meant ‘trucks only’ so she carried on :open_mouth:

Rowley010:

tango boy:

So let me get his right… They’ve gone to the trouble of saying no HGVs on a sign, but they got an HGV lane for diesel? That makes sense!

There is 3 hgv lanes for diesel, and it’s keyfuels and bp

Well you can, but those ‘frightfully posh’ Cheshire people would you did’nt :smiley:

Yes and you can park there bit it is very limited they put it up because they reduced the hgv parking there after buying pops personally I think the sign is illegal as there legally required to allow hgv park.

The real joke is the so called safety group brake who when contacted about this sign going up weren’t bothered at all.

:unamused: :unamused:

alix776:
Yes and you can park there bit it is very limited they put it up because they reduced the hgv parking there after buying pops personally I think the sign is illegal as there legally required to allow hgv park.

The real joke is the so called safety group brake who when contacted about this sign going up weren’t bothered at all.

And they prefer you to go to the highway bandits at the next junction north-bound.The Pops

alix776:
personally I think the sign is illegal as there legally required to allow hgv park.

2917.1 series sign given national authisation in 2012. Is is possible to get a NP2917.1 (non prescribed) sign with the red line through it.
Similiar to the nationally authorised 2313.5 sign for trunk road service areas.

Gov ‘policy’ not ‘law’ stipulates HGV parking must be available to be signed as an MSA etc except in extraordinary legacy cases ie old sites.
The draft marking is because the new Tsrgd don’t get published until later this year.

do they still charge for parking then

Of course they do

Coach bays are usually full of hgvs

I asked a staff member in the garage whilst I fuelled up in there once why there was a hgv ban, she said she had no idea.
I think the real reason is, it’s to restrict the amount of heavies departing northbound being involved in accidents with muppets wanting to be off at J19, seems to be a popular pass time on that short stretch of motorway.

weeto:
I think

That’s what Alix776 used as well :open_mouth:
The reason from above still stands

speedyguy:
Due to the old nature of the site and being landlocked and in greenbelt etc Moto ended up doing a deal to buy Poplar Truckstop (Lymm) and expanding it as a ‘split’ MSA facility, the first, last and only time it has happened.

There were plans to knock it down and move if further south and expand it at one stage but they didn’t come to anything, maybe cost, land ownership issues, Closeness of Sandbach as there USED to be a spacing policy and Sandbach was an infill site (removed to promote competition) greenbelt Nimbyism ?

many years ago it had a drivers cafe on the bridge, think it was called “truckers” and it was a regular place to stop overnight, although southbound parking could be a bit tight.

I think they have expanded the hgv parking at Knutsford to the exit hard shoulder :wink: