Can anyone clarify?

Blue222:
I used to be able to keep it up a lot longer in the Daf than the Renault… :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Didnt take long did it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mine wont lift anyway

Aint got one
Mid axel that is :unamused:

Hi I remember this question coming up some years ago to do with road tax. According to I think the Motor Transport legal section it depends on the wording of the law in question. For example the law requires 6 axles for 44 ton work or say 6 axles for a reduced tax rate at 38 tons, so far so good. The problem then is what is an axle - the legal definition is some thing that carries the wheels and the law does not say that the wheels must be on the ground to satisfy the above legal requirements.so you could have an axle permenantly fixed in the up position and it would qualify for a reduced tax at 38 tons, because it is still an axle!
I was running on 6 axles at 38 tons and then went to 44 tons on ‘Rail Freight’ work when that first came in and can remember having problems with the authorities who did not know their own regulations. I believe that the present 44 ton regs are diferent than the ‘Rail Freight’ ones. I have not operated my own vehicle at 44 tons since my rail freight days.
I have also discovered that a lot of so called transport managers do not know what they should know!
Gavin

Gavin McArdle:
Hi I remember this question coming up some years ago to do with road tax.

There’s the clue right there, it all changed when the taxation system changed and people are still working from the old system.

Coffeeholic:

Gavin McArdle:

There’s the clue right there, it all changed when the taxation system changed and people are still working from the old system.

What was the year of the change Neil?

Bones:

Coffeeholic:

Gavin McArdle:

What was the year of the change Neil?

Can’t remember but it was a good few years ago now. I’ve not owned a truck for well over two years and both the last two I had, 3 years each, where taxed this way as I used to tax them at 31 tonnes and only paid £165, so at least 8 years since the system changed.