Can anybody recommend

Can anybody recommend anywhere that is free to park an artic up, for my 9 hours off, between Glasgow, and Tebay services along the M6, A74M, and M74 corridor?

It cannot be any further south than Tebay though, as I cannot make it past there with my time.

It has to be free to park because I do not get parking expenses back, as bad as that sounds. And I’m not paying from my night out money, as it is only £17.

Or, if anybody can recommend anywhere good, and it is a few quid, but worth it, then please let me know too. But only if its very cheap, but preferably free.

Any big laybys off any junctions, service areas that may just be free (although somehow I don’t expect many answers for that one) truckstops, cafes, anything really.

Thanks in advance.

Park anywhere you like before you cross the border into England. Wheelclamping is illegal in Scotland on private land and classed as extortion and theft. :stuck_out_tongue:

If they decide to stick a big notice over your window and send a large bill to your boss, then that will teach him not to be a tight arse. Maybe then he will pay parking for his lorry

If you come off the M6 at J44, take the A7 towards Carlisle and turn right at the second set of lights, you’ll drive straight onto a large industrial estate, it’s only a couple of minutes off the M6, I’ve never parked up there over-night myself but I’ve often seen other drivers overnighting there.

As you go down the A7 towards Carlisle you’ll see a Mc Donalds on your right and I think there’s a shop on the left, no idea what times the shop’s open though.

Wheel Nut:
Maybe then he will pay parking for his lorry

couldnt agree more, maybe once the diesel has been syphoned out of the tank, hell stop being a tightwad

ezydriver:
It has to be free to park because I do not get parking expenses back, as bad as that sounds. And I’m not paying from my night out money, as it is only £17.

I’d suggest its time to be looking elsewhere for a job.

Driveroneuk:

ezydriver:

I’d suggest its time to be looking elsewhere for a job.

Absolutely.I’ll second that.

When your gaffers insurance goes up,because of the theft of the loads that your carrying,he’ll wish he’d paid a small amount to park the truck up at night.That way he could tell the insurance company that it was not parked in a lay-by,industrial estate etc.

Ken.

Or get a job doing Euro work, no parking charges and if they do charge for parking the whole amount comes of the price of your meal, this to stop the eastern europeans parking and then cooking for themselves on private land. If you know what I mean.

Thanks all.

It is a night trunk, so I am returning empty, and there are no goods in the back. Therefore I’m not sure if insurance is an issue in this case.
I don’t want to leave the job as it averages out at just eight hours per shift, which I do get paid well for.

Just wondering if anybody knew of any laybys just off the motorway that had a cafe nearby, or that is big enough for me to virtually guarantee getting a space at 6am. I’m trying to save myself a bit of time by not having to come off at random junctions in the dark to look for somewhere and spend an hour looking.

That industrial estate in Carlisle - its ok, I’ve used it myself and never had a problem - a lot of the firms on there seem to be 24hrs so it can be a bit noisy but I can sleep through a plane crash so it doesnt bother me :smiley:

we at con lift,have just received a message from the “office”,we are not to park on the A34,as two tanks of diesel have gone awol over the last 24 hrs.

didnt state what part of its length from winchester to manchester,but would assume winc to oxford?.

ezydriver:
Thanks all.

It is a night trunk, …I don’t want to leave the job as it averages out at just eight hours per shift, which I do get paid well for.

I’m confused. If its a night trunk at sometimes less than an 8 hr shift, why on earth would you need to park up away from base for a 9hr reduced rest (which ofcourse you can only do 3 times a week)?

tachograph:
If you come off the M6 at J44, take the A7 towards Carlisle and turn right at the second set of lights, you’ll drive straight onto a large industrial estate, it’s only a couple of minutes off the M6, I’ve never parked up there over-night myself but I’ve often seen other drivers overnighting there.

As you go down the A7 towards Carlisle you’ll see a Mc Donalds on your right and I think there’s a shop on the left, no idea what times the shop’s open though.

Be VERY VERY VERY careful about parking on this estate the local plod will give you a ticket for not having your side lights on overnight.
I woke up one morning and about 20 other trucks and myself had donated £30.00 to the Carlisle Coppers Christmas Party.
Thet dont mind you parking there but will ticket you for everything else.

Has anybody actually dared try leaving side lights on for 9+ hours & seeing if they get a start next morning?

Obviously there’s influencing factors like how blinged up the motor is & if the trailer has single lights or multiple ones.

LED’s use much less current.

Driveroneuk:
Has anybody actually dared try leaving side lights on for 9+ hours & seeing if they get a start next morning?

cor i wouldnt fancy trying that.

This industrial estate is constantly busy as its where Stobarts and Wisemans depots are, aswell as many truck dealers.

[/quote]
f you come off the M6 at J44, take the A7 towards Carlisle and turn right at the second set of lights, you’ll drive straight onto a large industrial estate, it’s only a couple of minutes off the M6, I’ve never parked up there over-night myself but I’ve often seen other drivers overnighting there.

If you exit M6 at J40 for Penrith head onto A66 for about a mile and half then head south on A6 towards Kendal you will eventually get to Shap village after about 6 mile.
In the village is a medium size Co-op supermarket , and a Chippy that does excellent ■■■■■■■■■■ sausage, you can park at the side of the road to go to these the locals are quite friendly to truckers if you stop sensibly (probably harks back to the old days before the M6)
After getting your tea or whatever carry on south towards Kendal., You can either head back to M6 at J39 (small layby before M6 sliproad) or carry on south on A6. about 2-3 miles south there is a big layby set back from the road very quiet.Ive parked there many times and not had a problem.Nice views as well.
The road is wide enough to turn back towards J39 or you can carry on South through Kendal but take your time the road is notoriously bad in wintertime.

Driveroneuk:

ezydriver:
Thanks all.

It is a night trunk, …I don’t want to leave the job as it averages out at just eight hours per shift, which I do get paid well for.

I’m confused. If its a night trunk at sometimes less than an 8 hr shift, why on earth would you need to park up away from base for a 9hr reduced rest (which ofcourse you can only do 3 times a week)?

It is a night trunk which requires 14 hours driving. Therefore, I spread it over 2 days. As I can drive for 9 hours legally, I like to do so, by getting as far south from Glasgow as I can, meaning my next shift is just 5 hours long and I’m home and finished at the time I’d normally be starting my second shift if I were to do any of the runs which are shorter and can be completed in one night.

ah, now i c.

You can try a couple of places near to Lockerbie (jct 17 A74 (M)).

1. Heading south, go off at jct 16 Johnstonebridge take the B7076 towards Lockerbie, plenty of big laybys. There are a couple near to the new truck stop as well. The road is not that busy and the cops patrol most nights.

2. Heading south again take jct 17, Lockerbie, left and the end of the slip road, straight across the roundabout (second exit) and about 500 yards on the left you have an industrial estate on the left. You then have a couple of mins walk into Lockerbie.

I hope this is of some use.

Ben9:

tachograph:

Be VERY VERY VERY careful about parking on this estate the local plod will give you a ticket for not having your side lights on overnight.
I woke up one morning and about 20 other trucks and myself had donated £30.00 to the Carlisle Coppers Christmas Party.
Thet dont mind you parking there but will ticket you for everything else.

my mates driver got done like that in one of the laybys coming out of immingham, cant remember the road number, i couldnt believe it, they are quite a distance off the road, no wonder coppers dont get any respect anymore