can any one tell me...

if this scenario is ok. ive got a permanent class 2 job but an agency has phoned offering me some ad hoc class 1 work at weekends. if i worked all week mon to friday at my job then did a saturday with the agency.
then i could have a reduced weekly rest that week but then wouldn’t i have to make up for it by the end of the third week? so that would screw me up for my permanent mon to fri job wouldn’t it?

joedwyer1:
if this scenario is ok. ive got a permanent class 2 job but an agency has phoned offering me some ad hoc class 1 work at weekends. if i worked all week mon to friday at my job then did a saturday with the agency.
then i could have a reduced weekly rest that week but then wouldn’t i have to make up for it by the end of the third week? so that would screw me up for my permanent mon to fri job wouldn’t it?

It depends upon what hours you are working. You may pay the hours back in the week you have a full rest, i.e be able to work for agency every other Saturday ?
Just so you know, you are supposed to let them both know your hours worked elsewhere. :wink:

Working every other saturday might be ok but you’ll have to work it out carefully in regard to your weekly and fortnightly driving hours as well as the weekly rest paybacks

Your regular boss will need to know your WORK (driving + other work) hours so they can keep track of your average WORKING TIME over the 17 or 26 week reference period for the RT(WTD)R

I would check with the boss of your regular job before committing to the P/T one in case they see a conflict or that it would mess-up the hours they can give to you - the last thing you want is to [ZB] up your regular job !!

joedwyer1:

I wouldn’t have thought so. If you are working Monday to Friday you are likely getting somewhere in the region of 60 hours weekly rest, Friday evening until Monday morning. 15 hours more than you require for a full weekly rest. On the week you worked Saturday you probably had about 36 hours weekly rest, Saturday evening until Monday morning, leaving you only about 9 hours to pay back so the very next week when you finish Friday and start Monday you are sorted. You can then do every second Saturday and pay the reduced rest back the following weekend.

just like to add with regards RTD(Road Transport Directive, AKA working time for drivers)

watch you working hours in the weeks you work Saturdays for the agency as you my go over you max 60 hours work in a week and also you have to inform you full time employer that you working for the agency as there would have to know your hours for there RTD records (and before anyone says there no one checking that’s not the point its still a legal requirement)

cheers guys. ive worked it out and due to the wtd working around my mon to friday job im only left with between seven and three hours to play with on a saturday and i would bet they would get pretty annoyed if I just worked my contracted hours and brought some drops back each day. so it looks like the saturday thing is out of the option unless i was a naughty boy but my firm love the wtd so i had better not!

joedwyer1:
cheers guys. ive worked it out and due to the wtd working around my mon to friday job im only left with between seven and three hours to play with on a saturday and

Is that 3 & 7 left from the 48 average or from the 60 max ?

If from the 48 average then that leaves you with an average of 5 to play with each week or, more relevant to what you want to do, 10 every 2 weeks so if the agency job is 10 hours of WORK or less in a shift every other saturday then it could pan out ok - but maybe a bit tight

joedwyer1:
cheers guys. ive worked it out and due to the wtd working around my mon to friday job im only left with between seven and three hours to play with on a saturday and i would bet they would get pretty annoyed if I just worked my contracted hours and brought some drops back each day. so it looks like the saturday thing is out of the option unless i was a naughty boy but my firm love the wtd so i had better not!

That should leave you plenty of time to work a shift every second Saturday and keep you within the 48 hour average for the WTD over the reference period.

yeah thats true i wasn’t thinking about it being only every fortnight. it might be a bit tight but it could work.

rog i was on about the 48 hour average. some weeks i can get near 48 hours working time. i know you can do 60 in one week but i don’t see much point becuase of the 48 average

i do work for a good firm there is never any pressure and there is never an issue with defects or anything like that. but they do insist on all this wtd crap. no one else seems to bother too much with it. hey ho