Can an irish haulier operate in the uk

im a new haulier in ireland and i was wondering can i work for uk haulage companies without breaking cabotage rules

Yes you can work in the UK but you will need a international haulage licence

scania v8 man:
im a new haulier in ireland and i was wondering can i work for uk haulage companies without breaking cabotage rules

If it’s Southern Ireland, you cant, you can only do 3 loads including the one you are bringing in under the new cabbotage loads, without leaving the country.

Revised cabotage rules for hauliers operating in the EU
Note: This is our original regulation update text, published on 10 May 2010. Unlike the rest of our site, this archived material is not updated if the law changes.

Relevant to
UK-based road haulage businesses in the hire and reward sector that are licensed to deliver loads into other European Union member states. The same rules also apply to non UK-based hauliers delivering into the UK.

Took effect on
14 mei 2010

From 14 May 2010, if your business is a holder of a Community licence, your drivers will only be able to carry out temporary cabotage operations in other European Union member states (except Bulgaria and Romania) in the seven-day period following the delivery of a loaded international journey.

The seven-day period begins on the day of the last unloading of the incoming international carriage.

Cabotage is the haulage of goods between two points in the same country by a haulier that is not registered in that country.

In the member state where the international delivery has been made, you will only be able to carry out up to three cabotage operations in seven days with the same vehicle or, in the case of a coupled combination, the motor vehicle of that same vehicle.

On the return home following an international journey, if your driver enters another member state unladen, they can carry out one cabotage operation within three days of that entry providing it is still within the original limit of three jobs in seven days.

To undertake cabotage operations, the driver must have documents relating to the international journey showing:

the name, address and signature of the sender and haulier
the place and the date of taking over of the goods and the place designated for delivery
the name and address and signature of the international consignee with the date of delivery
the common description of the goods, method of packing, number of packages and their special marks/numbers
the gross mass of the goods or their quantity otherwise expressed
the number plates of the motor vehicle and trailer
Temporary cabotage rules apply in the same way to hauliers established in other member states that bring goods into the UK.

For an overview of the current law in this area, see our guide: International authorisations and permits for road haulage
Full title of regulation
Regulation (EC) No.1072/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 October 2009 on common rules for access to the international road haulage market

From
Department for Transport

businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … =REGUPDATE

Things must have changed because the UK and Republic of Ireland always had special relationship as far as cabbotage rules went

Robert:
Things must have changed because the UK and Republic of Ireland always had special relationship as far as cabbotage rules went

Errr no they never, NI firms could do what they want as NI is part of the UK, but Eire registered trucks are & have always been subject to cabotage regulations :wink:

Also be aware VOSA are getting very hot on this. Several Irish companies have been fined, even though they were pulling their own trailers in and out of the dock. They have been as interested in the work I’ve been doing as much as my tacho’s the last couple of times I’ve been stopped.