Can a hearing impaired person pass the medical and test?

Newbie here. First post, first thread and hoping for a bit of advice.

I’ve got quite a lot of hearing loss and use two hearing aids. Is there any reason why I can’t pass the HGV medical and practical test?

Hearing impairment does not appear to be listed here
gov.uk/driving-medical-cond … disability

Deafness appears to be notifiable for bus coach or lorry, but I’m not deaf, I’m hearing impaired
gov.uk/deafness-and-driving

Lastly, can I expect a friendly reception at a training centre, or will people be reluctant to train me?

Would be grateful for any feedback from other hearing impaired drivers.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Seen a few drivers with hearing aids. I suppose it would come down to how much you can actually hear.

I wear hearing aids as does one of our trainers. We’ve also trained profoundly deaf drivers. So no problems at all.

Good luck with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
We’ve also trained profoundly deaf drivers.

I’m not deaf Pete, I just didn’t listen! :grimacing:

As long as you can communicate in an emergency via speech or a text-to-speech device, (they ask you on the d2 form) then there is generally not a problem.

Evil8Beezle:

Peter Smythe:
We’ve also trained profoundly deaf drivers.

I’m not deaf Pete, I just didn’t listen! :grimacing:

I do listen, but am a moron

Eh

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like it won’t be a problem at all. :slight_smile:

My advice - ignore most of what it says on the medical as all they seem interested in is your eyesight, blood pressure and whether you’ve got diabeties. If it’s anything like mine, the doc never asked about anything else (just ticked boxes) and I didn’t say…but don’t think there’s a box for number of ways you want to kill your boss. :wink:

Hearing doesn’t seem to be any kindof issue at all so wouldn’t bring it up during the medical and likely won’t even mention it on the form.

I am partially deaf when I applied originally for my licence ( bike / car ) this was a question on the form so they have alway know about mine I have since passed my CE so shouldn’t be a problem

When I did my test did make the examiner aware of it so they knew they had to talk a bit louder as I can’t wear a hearing aid as wouldn’t make any difference to me