Cameras replacing mirrors

I realise this subject has been mentioned previously but I have come upon a real problem for many drivers. For a start, I am not a fan, technology for the sake of it. However one problem I have yet to see mentioned. I wear glasses now to drive, sign of age I suppose. I used to have no problem with mirrors, however with the use of cameras it is different. Drive along normally wearing specs no problem but when I have to view a screen to view cameras, I really need different, reading glasses maybe. Result is a change of focus from out of the window to view screen is nigh on impossible. I can’t keep changing glasses from one to the other each time. So using this technology has made safe driving impossible. Has anyone else suffered in this way. It seems the ‘boffins’ are oblivious.

I have been made aware of a few drivers with this problem where I work ,It seems the problem is the drivers side screen mainly, which is far too close to the driver , anyone that has a condition called presbyopia would probably be advised not to drive vehicles with these mirrorcams. Technology for the sake of it indeed & while I do drive these vehicles, I still find the normal mirrors give a far more clear & concise image, for example when an emergency vehicle with blue lights on is catching up to overtake, or when reversing onto a loading bay…

You are wearing the wrong type of glasses, for driving. You need multifocals.
Multifocal lenses allow you to see at multiple distances, because they have different sections for viewing close up, far away and everything in between. Whether you’re driving, using a computer, shopping or reading, you can usually wear one pair of multifocals to accommodate most of your vision needs.

1 Like

I have varifocals this time around but have no issues with using the mirror cam trucks. Then again I only have astigmatism so can generally see ok without my glasses, only tings at distance are a bit blurry.

Personally I am a fan of mirror less trucks so far.

I don’t see half the issues people complain about them tbh.

wasn’t there a post on here a year or two back about a lady that was a bus driver with the same issue

sorry i miss remembered it was because the mirrors had been moved and as she was 5 foot she couldn’t see in them properly any more

You need to go and see an ophtalmologist; a lorry driver’s forum could give you direction, but not necessarily a good one in this instance.

Molt likely you have presbyopia, but let the doctor confirm that.

Once presbyopia confirmed, opt for progressive lenses. Regardless of other eye conditions, even if you do not need glasses for far sight, you want a smooth seamless transition between focuses, that is why they are called progressive lenses.

Progressive lenses ain’t cheap, they are worth their value. I wore them for years until I had laser surgery. Now presbyopia is back, as it is its natural course, it increases at an average rate of 1 diopter every 4-5 years.

1 Like

I’m in the early stages of presbyopia and haven’t got separate glasses, bifocals or progressive lenses. The optician was fully supportive of waiting until further assistance beyond distance lenses is required.

If the o/p is looking at a mirror a distance away, it may not be to do with close-up vision but something else.

that comes to support the point I intended to emphasize, go get the eyes and eyesight checked by the ophtalmologist

Its a strange scenario where because of supposed new technology , the original poster is likely to need to spend a substantial amount of money on different glasses ,just to be able to use these mirror cams …I 'm not convinced this is progress ,.
Especially when normal mirrors have sufficed in the past , sure there was a blind spot but this hasn’t been helped by manufacturers putting the wide angle mirror, into the same big block with the main mirror …
There should be in two separate mirrors with a gap in-between so you catch a sight of things that would be in the blind spot…

and the point being?

You can ask your company to order one with standard mirrors. I refused to drive a Daf XG mirrorcam. They got me one with standard mirrors.

Varifocals are the answer

That’s how mirror cams are, on the Mercedes at least, haven’t used Dad.