Camera's good or bad?

Just found out that work are going to install camera’s on the front of a couple of motors.
Personally i think its a good idea?? would help if you was involved in a accident.
Especially when some twonk cuts in at a junction on the motorway and leave you no chance.
Happened to me a couple of years ago, car carved me up at a junction
decided at the last min that he was coming off,
left me no chance ended up running into the back of the car
Was deemed my fault
but like i said he left me no chance?? ended up getting my marching orders 2 weeks later :frowning:
sure it was down to the accident was all going great till then…?

Think they should be fitted as standard in the future??
Was wondering what everyone else thinks about camera’s on your truck (good or bad)

I know an agency guy that got banned from a place, because he was caught on camera playing with his phone/removing his sat nav (Whichever story you believe from him.) at a firm, who for some reason decided to look at the footage after an incident of some sort.

The incident took place during darkness hours, and the reflection was plain to see from the windscreen with the interior light on.

Ken.

I won’t have any problems if my company installed forward facing cameras in fact i’m surprised they haven’t already done so.

We have 13 plate Mercs, according to the instructor there is a camera filming forward continuously, it’s in the middle of the dash on the w/screen. In the event of a bump it keeps the 30 seconds of film around the incident as a record of what happened.
I see no problem with them on trucks, or cycles for that matter.

Slackbladder:
We have 13 plate Mercs, according to the instructor there is a camera filming forward continuously, it’s in the middle of the dash on the w/screen. In the event of a bump it keeps the 30 seconds of film around the incident as a record of what happened.
I see no problem with them on trucks, or cycles for that matter.

Thats the rain sensor on Mercs

bald bloke:
I won’t have any problems if my company installed forward facing cameras in fact i’m surprised they haven’t already done so.

I run out of Stafford and use my own dashcam. With microlise recording every thing in the event of heavy braking i can save the recorded film. One time a car running a red light in the early hours of the morning.

We have had them for a while now and I think they are generally a good idea. But you must remember that they are impartial witnesses - i.e. they don’t only record the footage that works in your favour!

I think they are a good idea when installed correctly. It’s the inward facing ones I don’t agree with.

Slackbladder:
We have 13 plate Mercs, according to the instructor there is a camera filming forward continuously, it’s in the middle of the dash on the w/screen.

That’s the sensor for the rain sensitive wipers.

Don’t think I would have a problem with it if my firm fitted them.

No it’s not the rain sensors according to the merc instructor, there are 2 small boxes on the front of ours, the big one is the rain sensor, the small black one is the camera. Not sure if it’s standard, didn’t ask, but they are both there.

Slackbladder:
No it’s not the rain sensors according to the merc instructor, there are 2 small boxes on the front of ours, the big one is the rain sensor, the small black one is the camera. Not sure if it’s standard, didn’t ask, but they are both there.

the other is a light sensor ?

ive got the road hawk it retails at £190.00 but I get a £30 a week non-fault damage bonus so to me it pays to have one especially since insurance scams are the latest money spinners for work shy conmen…

Slackbladder:

You could be right actually as i’ve just had a look into the one i’m driving and it does seem to have a spare hole/gap where maybe a factory fitted camera could fit.

bald bloke:

Slackbladder:

You could be right actually as i’ve just had a look into the one i’m driving and it does seem to have a spare hole/gap where maybe a factory fitted camera could fit.

It’s more likely for a light sensor for automatic headlights as already mentioned.

Front facing cameras… Fine
Inward facing seems just wrong, what about nighting out? Would not be long before some twit decided it would be amusing to post pictures of scantily clad truckers on YouTube… :open_mouth:

Seriously, I would welcome a forward camera!

mkb600:
Front facing cameras… Fine
Inward facing seems just wrong, what about nighting out? Would not be long before some twit decided it would be amusing to post pictures of scantily clad truckers on YouTube… :open_mouth:

Seriously, I would welcome a forward camera!

There should be no problem when nighting out as the most of the cameras only operate when the ignition is switched ON.

Plus of course, even when they are powered on, they only keep footage recorded immediately before & after an impact (or manual button press).

If I was OD i would have full external cctv. Cameras mounted above the doors facing the rear and one forward facing, wired to a hard drive in the cab, Kept forever. They have it on busses so it must be possible. Esp as there is a scam where they don’t even crash in to you they just take your reg time and location and claim hit and run.

Got forward facing camera built into my satnav. Hopefully will never have to use it as a ‘witness’