Cambridgeshire Newbie

Hello,

Wannabe C+E - but need the C first :laughing: .

I have been signed up on here for a while now, and spoke to some guys on the chat which was helpful but thought I would post as the ball has started rolling…

My medical is this Thursday and all my forms are ready and waiting to go to DVLA. I attended the Peter Smythe open day at Holme :wink:, enjoyed it a lot. I’m using a brilliant app on my iPhone to revise for the theory and hazard perception. I’d like to be starting my training closer to the end of the year, and into next year. I wanted to see this year through at my current job to see how I felt after.

My one and only worry (other than failing) is finding decent work after it all, with all the companies wanting experienced drivers. Anyone have any words of advice with this, I imagine its most peoples worry tbh!

Thanks guys

:smiley:

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, there’s much more permanent work around now than there has been for a long while. In line with that, wages are creeping (slowly, slowly) upwards.

Glad you enjoyed the open day.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi . Welcome to the forum and good luck in your training.You might be lucky and get straight into a good firm.But more than likely you’ll have to go down the agency route.Being 23 can also go against you.Because of insurance policies.But don’t be put of by that.Because there are some younger people than you who have got work.

You’d be surprised at what they ask agency drivers to do. I’ve done work that I never thought I’d be doing at this early stage. If you do agency then you’ll get different jobs maybe on a daily basis. I’ve done a week where I was driving C1’s on Monday, Class 2’s on Tuesday, vans on the Wednesday then back in C1’s for Thursday and Friday. Work is easy to come by and the plus side of agency work is if you don’t like doing a job you can say you don’t want to do that again.

Nozza:
Hi . Welcome to the forum and good luck in your training.You might be lucky and get straight into a good firm.But more than likely you’ll have to go down the agency route.Being 23 can also go against you.Because of insurance policies.But don’t be put of by that.Because there are some younger people than you who have got work.

I remember reading a article in Commercial Motor when I was waiting for my Module 4 test about a 19 year lad, youngest person in Britain to pass his HGV test and then landed a job on tippers.

Radar19:

Nozza:

I remember reading a article in Commercial Motor when I was waiting for my Module 4 test about a 19 year lad, youngest person in Britain to pass his HGV test and then landed a job on tippers.

Yeah think I saw that to.Like I said.It’s not impossible to get a start.More so at the moment by the looks of it also.

There is a member on here who passed age 18/19 who has been driving artics for a while now so it can be done

Hello & Welcome :smiley:

Hey thanks for the replies,

I think its a matter of biting the bullet and really getting yourself out there.

It’s harder to break loose from a solid job your already in, at the risk of not getting anywhere. But by the look of it, its only getting easier.

Jasmine

You could always do a shift in between your main job.