Cam Corder or Speed Camera

Has anyone seen anything like this b4 & do know what he was doing.

Today I was traveling eastbound on the A120 towards Braintree as i neared Dunmow I came accross an officer of the law parked in the slip raod. As i approached & being a good boy having my cruse set 2mph below 50 on a dual I knocked it off as the road goes downhill & i could use the engine brake.
As i neared the officer who was of the motorcycle unit i noticed he was standing at the back of his bike obscuring it & seamed to be filming the traffic. He didnt move he was standing still & i got a quick glimpse at the camera thingy he was using, much like a small camcorder & with a peice on top that had a red lense at the end.

any ideas ?

It’s possible it was a portable ANPR(Automatic Number Plate Recognition) camera checking for vehicles that shouldn’t be on the road. There was probably a marked/unmarked police car further down the road pulling the vehicles in that had been flagged up by the bike.

i did look for some more but i could not see any.

i thought it was illegal to cover/diguise/obscure/hide or anything else when using a police vechile to detect traffic speeds. i stand corrected if im wrong

gezt:
i thought it was illegal to cover/diguise/obscure/hide or anything else when using a police vechile to detect traffic speeds. i stand corrected if im wrong

If thats the case then almost all mobile speed camera’s are illeagle…

gezt:

If it’s ANPR, it doesn’t have to be overt. Every so often ■■■■■■■ Police has a little show of strength on the M6 through Carlisle. This includes an unmarked van with cameras covering the main carriageway whilst marked/unmarked pull vehicles over half a mile down the road :open_mouth:

gezt:

you’re wrong mate. They can be as covert as they like. If the camera operators wanna keep the cash then they have to conform to guidelines which entail warnings signs, yellow boxes etc.

He could just be using a standard video camera to video traffic, for, as they put it, “the prevention of traffic offences”. I’ve seen them do similar things at bikemeets, just standing there videoing bikers and their bikes, even walking around the carpark filming all the bikes. The idea being that if someone pops a wheelie later on or whatever and their plate can’t be seen they can then refer to the video to find out who/what bike it was.

So not sure what they were doing on the A120 with it, but that’s one theory, also not sure on the red lens. ANPR cameras are usually in vans or static on poles, don’t know if bikes are equipped with them.

I saw the same last week.

I would say it’s not ANPR as Essex have an obvious van and a squadron of marked traffic EVO’s & WRX’s with ANPR intercept team written on the side.

I reckon it was just an old fashioned hand held speed camera and he’d chase up anyone going for it big time.

It will be a speed camera and the copper was probably just having a ■■■ break.

I see the police in France using speed cameras and night vision binoculars to check for seat belts and drivers picking their nose

robntl:

Today I was traveling eastbound on the A120 towards Braintree as i neared Dunmow I came accross an officer of the law parked in the slip raod. As i approached & being a good boy having my cruse set 2mph below 50 on a dual I knocked it off as the road goes downhill & i could use the engine brake.
As i neared the officer who was of the motorcycle unit i noticed he was standing at the back of his bike obscuring it & seamed to be filming the traffic. He didnt move he was standing still & i got a quick glimpse at the camera thingy he was using, much like a small camcorder & with a peice on top that had a red lense at the end.

any ideas ?

Sounds like an LTi20-20. Nothing to worry about if you were doing the limit and your vehicle was legal. :slight_smile:

Last Tuesday & today at Magna Park there’s been 2 white Merc vans with sidewindow’s {Not Blacked out} sitting on the verge of both carrtdgeway’s & a coppers on a motorbike just off the roundabout that leads into Magna park…any idea’s.

I saw them today too, that van is for tax/insurance.

Thanks mate… I did try & see a logo on it but couldn’t see one. Further up the A14 nr Kettering was DVLA estate car in the layby near the Woodlands Hospital.

speed camera,they have a police bike in scunthorpe area tucked up in the side of the road as you leave messingham going into scunthorpe,it stands on a monopod fastened to the rear of his motorcycle and in the top box i he had all his electronics and laptop etc,

Paul Hoggard:

robntl:

any ideas ?

Sounds like an LTi20-20. Nothing to worry about if you were doing the limit and your vehicle was legal. :slight_smile:

Nope that were’nt it, twas much smaler with a single lens & what i could describe a gun sight on top with a red lens like the ones on my bonoculars i found tonight.

Cheers…