Calor Gas Winter Drivers!

Does anybody on here have any info on Manpower Calor Gas Winter contract in Tankers or Cylinder deliveries?

Not bad money but do they give you good hours etc… :confused:

I did it 2 years ago. As long as it is a long cold winter it should be good.

I’ve just started for Calor Gas (cylinders) out of Salford.
My choice btw, had a choice of bulk or cylinders, but fancied a change.

I’ve been told it’s basically 0730 - 1630 Mon - Fri, dock 1hr for lunch, so actual weekly pay is looking quite poor, but they did say there’s overtime.

I’ve gone for this as a break from 65-80hr weeks, but got to see if I can manage on the money or not, quite liking the idea of some basic hours, but I don’t agree with docking 1hr lunch.

I did the last two winters on the tankers on back shift. Can’t guarantee what hours you’ll get as it’s pretty weather dependant, if it gets cold you’ll get the hours.
Last winter was mild and very wet so I had quite a few stand downs… stay home with 8hrs pay. Normally trips were completed in less than 8hrs for me but day lads could get 12hrs easy. If you go home before completing 8hrs you still get paid 8hrs, but you’d need to check this with your depot/agency. Occasionally for me some runs went over the 8hrs. Easy job but can be wet and dirty and the year before last…bloody cold with the snow and frost on you.

waynedl:

I’ve been told it’s basically 0730 - 1630 Mon - Fri, dock 1hr for lunch, so actual weekly pay is looking quite poor, but they did say there’s overtime.

I’ve gone for this as a break from 65-80hr weeks, but got to see if I can manage on the money or not, quite liking the idea of some basic hours, but I don’t agree with docking 1hr lunch.

I would disagree with being docked an hour when on ADR too. Isn’t their something about having to remain close by to your vehicle, or have it in your sight when stopped for a break. Not free to dispose of your time if this is the case.

damoq:

waynedl:

I would disagree with being docked an hour when on ADR too. Isn’t their something about having to remain close by to your vehicle, or have it in your sight when stopped for a break. Not free to dispose of your time if this is the case.

You Don’t have to be “free to dispose of your time” when taking a BREAK.

You do If you are on REST.

redboxer850:

damoq:

waynedl:

I think he’s more commenting towards not being paid for it, yet still expected to look after it / respond…

I see where he’s coming from

Cheers guys :wink: I am looking into it so hope its going to be a nice COLD WINTER!!! I have done multi-fuel tankers before and want to get back on tanks since renewing my ADR!! Also I see where your coming from…1 hour deducted for break…when you do really have to be in or insight of the vehicle/load!!! Hey ho that’s life for us ‘DRIVERS!!’ :laughing:

redboxer850:

damoq:

waynedl:

I understand what you are saying. That’s the technical difference between a break and a rest period. I don’t do ADR work, so I can lock up my truck and take a walk to the shops or whatever I please. So technically I can do what I want in my 45 min break. If I was on ADR, I wouldn’t really be able to do as I please due to the rules. You can’t venture far from your truck in case something happens. You have to be ready to respond to an incident. Really, I’d expect to be paid my break for this reason.

Fair enough,
I Don’t do adr either.
I wouldn’t be happy in that case.

waynedl:

Just had this out with my new boss i had to tell him i am not an unpaid security guard !!

I have done two winters on trucking. The first winter was cold and I got some good (not great) paying weeks. The second winter was mild and I got some poor paying weeks.
So the job is very much dependant on the weather.

Don’t sling two empty 47’s over your shoulders and start running. It hurts a lot when they clang together trapping the back of your head. The ringing in the ears takes a while to die down too :laughing: oh and incase you didn’t realise 47kg is only the weight of gas. Add upto 33kg for the cylinder.

CraigM:
Don’t sling two empty 47’s over your shoulders and start running. It hurts a lot when they clang together trapping the back of your head. The ringing in the ears takes a while to die down too :laughing: oh and incase you didn’t realise 47kg is only the weight of gas. Add upto 33kg for the cylinder.

Bit more according to the tare weights printed on them, they do vary though, but I’ve seen 81lb tare (nearly 37kg) and I’ve only just started, but get a few 47’s together and read the tares, even identical looking ones have different tares.

Yeah, they’re weighty buggers, that’s for sure…

Simplest rule of thumb I was told, double the weight - it’s close enough for a guage

Been a good few years since I done cylinders. So won’t question you on that lol. Was just the figure I remembered. Weights do fluctuate bottle to bottle massively though.
Will probably be doing cylinders this year now I’m back on the road. Keeps you fit :smiley:

I’m not allowed to work for Calor as I’ve worked for one of their competitors. Don’t ask. :confused: :unamused:

Anyhow, modern 47s are 95kg gross; 47kg tare (empty) and 48kg gas. Which is why I prefer mini-bulkers, my days of strutting about looking like Popeye are well in the past.

CraigM:

Ouch!!! :blush:

I did a spell on that years ago, before ADR, all you needed was a hazchem ticket then and it was done in house.

Most of the work was drop and swap, which was nice, but had a few handball jobs and they are proper hard work, they were only the little short trailers, but they weren’t short enough :laughing:

Prior to that I was doing Coca Cola deliveries in the West End, 10ton off and 6/7ton of empties back on every day, so I was as fit as a butcher’s dog, but them bottles are bloody heavy.

We only did it for one season thankfully.