Calling all London experts

I’ve done this collection before, out of a place called Rondanini on Milkwood Road, Brixton, SE240HG.

I’ve always come in from Kent and have ‘winged’ it to get there for the last couple of miles as can’t recall the roads I used to get there.

Tomorrow I’m going there from Heston Service (Eastbound).

ShatNav says M4, A4, B317, A3218, B317, A304, B318, A308, A217, A214, A3, A3036, A3, A2217, A23, Effra Road, A2214, A215, Milkwood Road.

Or should I just go for the less stressful M4, M25, A23■■?
I’m pulling a standard tri axle fridge trailer at 13’9".

Thanks

That does seem a rather complicated route. Most of the traffic will be staying on the A4 as far as the right turn onto the A3220 Earls Court rd which will bring you down onto the Chelsea Embankment A3212. Follow and right turn across the river via A 3216 Chelsea Bridge which becomes Queenstown rd . At the Roundabout observe the bridge heights straight ahead for Queenstown rd which should be OK. stay on this rd which becomes Cedars rd until you meet the A3 at Clapham common north side and turn left back onto your sat nav route.
Whether your satnav route avoided the congestion charge I can’t say.

Thanks for that.

I ■■■■■■■ hat London!

I’ve got Polish Specialities in Croydon after, then fight my way back to Lincolnshire after mid day, all in all, another day in paradise.

Your ■■■■ nav is taking you the long winded way round.

I have lived in Sarf London all my life and depending on what time you are leaving Heston , early I take it if you are planning to leave Croydon by 12.00 :question:

If you are off the blocks with a reasonable start, I would go M4 to Chiswick Roundabout, Exit Junction 2 on the M4, round the roundabout and follow the South Circular A205, over Kew Bridge bear left at the lights after Kew bridge, through the cemeteries at Mortlake, down to Chalkers corner, over the lights and turn left. Follow this all the way along to the Wandsworth one way system, then up onto the A3, through the middle of Clapham Common, This is the A3.

At the end of the Common, on a road called Long Road, You will go through a set of lights and Clapham Common tube station is on the left. You will only see the signs as the bulk of the station is Underground.

Turn right into Clapham Park Road which is the A2217, which becomes Acre lane. Tesco is on the right as you go down Acre lane and you then come to the main A23. Turn right on it and bear left into Effra Road. By now, your Sat Nav should guide you in. A2214 then A215 then go under the railway bridges and Milkwood Road is the hard left turn under the bridge.

When you have done that, come back down to that junction and follow the A215 along the side of Brockwell Park and through Tulse Hill. When the road forks at West Norwood and the sign says Crystal Palace, bear right into Ernest Avenue then left at the bus garage up the steep hill. When you get to the lights at Crown Point, you can carry on the A215 to the the top of Beulah Hill and past the TV transmitter, down the other side then make sure you turn right into Whitehorse Lane otherwise you will end up facing a 12ft 6 bridge at the end of Portland Road. If you get that far, then turn right and follow that road into North Croydon.

Or you could turn right at the top of Crown point and head down the side of Streatham Common and then turn left onto the A23. This will take you to Norbury and round Thornton Heath Pond, which was drained in 1971, down the A23 and to the roundabout at the London end of the Purley Way.

Your Sat Nav is offering to take you down North End Road in Fulham, which I don’t really recommend with a large van, never mind a 13ft 9 high, 56 foot long lorry.

I know it is all main roads, but that is the way I would go myself and if you get stuck, then just enjoy the passing scenery :smiley:

If you follow this or Cav 551 options, you will have missed the congestion charging zone. Can’t miss it really. Great big White C on the floor with a red border.

Let us know how you get on. Should be in the pub by 18.00, beer in hand. Latest :smiley:

einstein:
Your [zb] nav is taking you the long winded way round.

I have lived in Sarf London all my life and depending on what time you are leaving Heston , early I take it if you are planning to leave Croydon by 12.00 :question:

If you are off the blocks with a reasonable start, I would go M4 to Chiswick Roundabout, Exit Junction 2 on the M4, round the roundabout and follow the South Circular A205, over Kew Bridge bear left at the lights after Kew bridge, through the cemeteries at Mortlake, down to Chalkers corner, over the lights and turn left. Follow this all the way along to the Wandsworth one way system, then up onto the A3, through the middle of Clapham Common, This is the A3.

At the end of the Common, on a road called Long Road, You will go through a set of lights and Clapham Common tube station is on the left. You will only see the signs as the bulk of the station is Underground.

Turn right into Clapham Park Road which is the A2217, which becomes Acre lane. Tesco is on the right as you go down Acre lane and you then come to the main A23. Turn right on it and bear left into Effra Road. By now, your Sat Nav should guide you in. A2214 then A215 then go under the railway bridges and Milkwood Road is the hard left turn under the bridge.

When you have done that, come back down to that junction and follow the A215 along the side of Brockwell Park and through Tulse Hill. When the road forks at West Norwood and the sign says Crystal Palace, bear right into Ernest Avenue then left at the bus garage up the steep hill. When you get to the lights at Crown Point, you can carry on the A215 to the the top of Beulah Hill and past the TV transmitter, down the other side then make sure you turn right into Whitehorse Lane otherwise you will end up facing a 12ft 6 bridge at the end of Portland Road. If you get that far, then turn right and follow that road into North Croydon.

Or you could turn right at the top of Crown point and head down the side of Streatham Common and then turn left onto the A23. This will take you to Norbury and round Thornton Heath Pond, which was drained in 1971, down the A23 and to the roundabout at the London end of the Purley Way.

Your Sat Nav is offering to take you down North End Road in Fulham, which I don’t really recommend with a large van, never mind a 13ft 9 high, 56 foot long lorry.

I know it is all main roads, but that is the way I would go myself and if you get stuck, then just enjoy the passing scenery :smiley:

If you follow this or Cav 551 options, you will have missed the congestion charging zone. Can’t miss it really. Great big White C on the floor with a red border.

Let us know how you get on. Should be in the pub by 18.00, beer in hand. Latest :smiley:

I don’t know Sarf London very well , but I can vouch that the North end road isn’t the best , full of market stools, I once had a fish stool suddenly blow into road and hit my dust cart sending the fish every where. The first time I went to Croydon I took a wrong turn and ended up going up a road meant for trams only. Infact I might add Croydon to that Derby thread .

einsteins route is the same way I would go, once you have done your Croydon job out to the m25 on either the a22 or a23, a23 sometimes is stuffed with traffic outbound which makes the a22 quicker

Thank you all, I absolutely hate the big smoke, I’m striking off at 0800, apparently the Rondanini collection isn’t ready until 1030-1200 so that gives me plenty office to fight the traffic.

Must try to stay calm lol

Once again thanks for the directions, they were spot on! Took just over an hour and a half to do 16 miles lol.

I went A205, A23 to Polish Specialities, seemed the easiest way, also took the A22 back to the M25 which was quicker than the A23 last time.

Got back to the yard at 1800, by the time of finished being booked off (out all week) it was 1900

A22 southbound is usually a faster exit from London. There are a couple of decent laybys just after Wapses Lodge at Caterham too, 1st one with a burger van second one with toilets.

+1 for Clapham common route.

Don’t be tempted into going freestyling though as there are a load of low bridges round that neck of the woods as obviously Clapham is a major rail junction.

Oops - didn’t notice you’d already been. :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Own Account Driver:
+1 for Clapham common route.

Don’t be tempted into going freestyling though as there are a load of low bridges round that neck of the woods as obviously Clapham is a major rail junction.

Oops - didn’t notice you’d already been. :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Yes Latchmere rd which leads off Battersea bridge has claimed many at 12’6"

google.co.uk/maps/@51.47033 … e0!6m1!1e1

and Milkwood rd itself leads into Hinton rd at 12’ 3"

google.co.uk/maps/@51.46465 … e0!6m1!1e1

I remember the first time I ever did Rondanini, I’d winged it there, almost out of time, I’d had a nightmare day at Park Royal and got lost in the one way systems looking for J Pao, and proceeded to follow a car sat nav to Milkwood Road.
Anyway work had arranged for them to load me (as it’s self load) because I literally had 3 minutes left when I pulled in. Had my 9 off in their yard and turned left out of Rondanini to be ‘greeted’ with a 12’3" bridge luckily I darted right just before it and then left and came out at a pub called the Green Man?

Only just got a chance to have a look. Bit late getting home tonight.

Glad to be able to help. Not sure where the green man pub is though. Will look it up later :slight_smile:

Nice one Einstein. I’m from sarf Lunden too. Used to go to Latchmere baths penny barebacks as it was called. Girls one session, boys another :cry: Worked for a while on the permanent way (p. way) at Pouparts Junction which was more or less above Sheepcote Lane. Now that could be a hairy job at times. Lived in Clapham and schooled in Brixton. Didn’t need lessons for an education. :slight_smile: