Calais to Portugal peage

Just planning a holiday in Portugal and what the easiest route to portugal from calais is and if there are any good stretches of road to bypass bits of peage.
It’s not in a truck but you guys know the roads and the best routes.

thanks

Paging the Tobemeister :slight_smile:

he will be along any time now with a full list of routes and lord mayors residences and swimming pools etc etc :slight_smile:

sorry Toby couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

Toby doesn’t like me.

If you use the ■■■■ nav…Just put the destination in avoiding toll roads…Job done.

Don’t want to miss them all as it’s by far the quickest route. But it’s €188 all the way And looking at a few euro driver vids, there seem to be certain stretches that you can jump onto the national roads?? which mirror the peage but cost nothing.
Was just a thought.

if you put in the sat nav avoid toll roads it will still take you to the toll free bits of motorways along the way. I think bigvern1 meant this as well. I use it toll free Calais to Toulouse works a treat.

Yeah…That’s what I meant.

Aaaahhhh.
ok

Which part of Pork and cheese land is the final destination?
Algarve, Lisbon or Porto ?

I’m into my driving holidays I love them but damned if i’ll drive to Portugal unless I was retired or was going for at least 4 weeks. Anyway all I know is the Forest road is toll free as done it 3,yrs ago and that’s around Bordeaux to Biarritz area.

Calais/Rouen/Evreux/Chatres/Vendome:
This bypasses Paris.
Then Tours/Poitiers/Angouleme/Bordeaux to Irun Spanish border to Vitoria/Burgos/Valladolid/Salamanca to VillarFormosa Portuguese border.
After all that Dinner with the Mayor’s daughter.

Not anymore chief. :wink:

Bison Futé calendar 2014

The free roads in France are RN or Route National and can get congested at busy times.They have farm vehicles to slow you down and lots of roundabouts and traffic lights.
If on them,look for the Rouitier sign,good value meals for a set price.
To save fuel and wear and tear,the toll roads are very good with excellent food at service stations.
Some do English breakfast,the fry up.
The Gendarmarie can seize the vehicle or pay a large court deposit if the sat nav has a radar or speed detector in it.
High viz vests required if stood in the road for a breakdown and two warning triangles.
Try and not drive for too long.Two hours then a break.
Tune in to 107.7 Fm for traffic updates in English if on the toll roads.
The Dune de Pyla near Bordeaux is worth a visit.Giant sand dunes.
Take breakdown cover that gets the vehicle back to the ferry.Spare tyres and a basic tool kit.Spare bulbs and fuses.

toby1234abc:
After all that Dinner ON the Mayor’s daughter.

Fixed that for you T.

To make the journey run smoother,no photocopies of the vehicle documents,only the originals.
Next of kin and ICE In case of emergency phone numbers as you never know.
The Porkies drive like Button on speed.
Blind corner overtaking is normal,with all those double expressos they knock back.
The cheapest fuel is at supermarkets.
Formulae 1 chain of hotels in France,24 hour check in with a bank card on the front door.
Some Peages do not accept foreign bank cards.
Take cash for that.
Some booths are manned,some are self service non manned.
For speeding,the Police may work out the speed by looking at the time stamped on the toll ticket to the time of exit.

You can avoid the toll by coming off the Forest road North of Bayonne/Biaritz to take the RN for free.
From Irun at the border to Burgos to the Portuguese border,there is the option to take the free roads.
It is dual carriagway from Bordeaux to the end of the Forest road.
Then dual from Irun to Vilar Formosa.

Now we’re talking.
Thanks Toby. And everyone else.
I actually spent about 10 days in Dune de Pyla back in like '97
You’re right. Well worth a visit. 200ft high sand dunes are a sight. I actually snowboarded down the steep side when we were there. Got chatting to some Swiss guys who were there doing that and paragliding and they lent us their snowboard…

We’re going to a place about 100km’s in land from Porto.

Some rn now d roads be de nationalised part if n10 now d910 for eg

To avoid weight limits
First part to just short of tours as tobes said
Part is n10 and d910
Then use a10 to poiters then n10 to Bordeaux

Once in Spain take old n1 now a1 to Vitoria
Personally I use mway to Burgos as quicker
Then free motorway from Burgos to vilaformosa
Need tag for Portugal now. No peage but electronic bridges