Calais to Interlaken?

bald bloke:

harry:
altho you’re gonna cop some hills in B .

What’s the best way to get to Namur then Harry ? Via Lille or Brussels ?

I plan my route depending on time, if it’s out of rush hour I go Lille everytime to lux but if it’s rush hour then sod lux and Bruxelles and head to Reims…
:slight_smile:

Should be leaving Calais about 03.00 if not slightly earlier so should get near to Lux before rush hour. Edit : forgot I’ll have the wobbler behind in tow so will probably cop Lux rush hour on a Tuesday so is that one to avoid even though I’ll be on the motorway only ?

Any advice gratefully received.

If your leaving Calais that early you will be going thru lux @10-11am local ish, I would think by the time you’ve had a couple of cuppa break etc etc it will be ok, leaving that early I would go Lille but there are a few bits of roadworks but less chance of traffic after Lille itself…ps make sure ya jockey wheel is up securely as you will lose it on the belgique roads…Bon route et Bon chance…

Stop at Capellon services in both directions.Cheap ■■■■ and booze.They sell plastic buckets of loose tobacco.A machine then rolls it to make your own ■■■■.Save a fortune.

toby1234abc:
Stop at Capellon services in both directions.Cheap ■■■■ and booze.They sell plastic buckets of loose tobacco.A machine then rolls it to make your own ■■■■.Save a fortune.

Don’t smoke personally but know people who do so that’s an idea.

truckertang:
If your leaving Calais that early you will be going thru lux @10-11am local ish, I would think by the time you’ve had a couple of cuppa break etc etc it will be ok, leaving that early I would go Lille but there are a few bits of roadworks but less chance of traffic after Lille itself…ps make sure ya jockey wheel is up securely as you will lose it on the belgique roads…Bon route et Bon chance…

Dont forget the fine . . . for every turn of the handle . . :laughing:

Not sure if you are aware, but it is now mandatory to use dipped headlights at all times in Switzerland.

GBPub:
Not sure if you are aware, but it is now mandatory to use dipped headlights at all times in Switzerland.

No didn’t know but I do now thankyou.

bald bloke:
I’m off to the land of Swiss people with the wobbly box following closely behind and i was wondering what would be the more flatter and economical route to take with regards to tolls, hills etc, not too worried about sightseeing on the way as we’ll be doing that when we get there, i was thinking about heading off to Lille then down through Lux, Nancy then onto Berne what does anybody think ? I’ve been on various route planning websites and they all show up different ideas.

Many thanks.

Hi. Ive just come back from touring all around Europe had 2 months away. We went up the corridor from Dunkirk down N8 got Baccy at the Warehouse filled up. Then went onto the Motorway to Namur picked up N4 to Luxemburg then onto Metz,Nancy, Charmes, Epinal, Besacon - Swiss Border to Vallorbe picked up the A1 to Lausanne then you can go left to Interlaken. Cost of Tolls all the way £0000000 except for Swiss. If you need stopover campsites let me know and Ill put you right. Regards Ben

Ok thanks Ben.

If you go N4, you’ll come to Bastogne.
It’s in a steep dip. You’ll notice something a bit strange. On your left there are lots of petrol stations, all the different brands. Most of them have quite a large shop attached. There are none on the other side of the road.
This is because that side of the road is in Luxembourg, so they sell fuel and ■■■■ at Luxembourg prices.
The other side is Belgium. Belgians can’t compete on price with Lux’, so they don’t bother trying.

If you go E411 motorway, straight down to Lux’. Don’t go to Capellen services, turn off at junc’1, just before Capellen. Turn right (North) at the end of the slip. Drive over the hill, a couple of km, to the roundabout. turn left at the roundabout then left into the Total petrol station. They have a large shop as well, selling the usual smokers delights. Or go straight on at the roundabout and take the first right. half a k down there on the right is route66 duty free shop (Wines, beers, spirits and baccy/■■■■). Next door is a nice little cafe. There is a turning circle at the bottom of the road big enough for an artic, there’s another turning circle at the end of the 1st left beyond route66.

Motorway services are much better in Europe, but they are still a bit pricey and poorer quality compared to off-motorway places.

Thanks for the info Simon.

What’s Lux like rush hour on a Tuesday morning ? Prob going to do E411.

The last time I saw a rush hour in Lux was before the motorway was built & we had to go thru the town.
Unless things have changed dramatically you won’t see a snarl-up.

harry:
The last time I saw a rush hour in Lux was before the motorway was built & we had to go thru the town.

Jolly good, and hopefully I won’t cause a snarl up.

Simon:

Think you mean Martelange, Simon :wink:

harry:

Yes you will. Morning rush hour towards Luxembourg City and afternoon away from the City, especially towards Thionville (F) and Perl (D) should be avoided.

Inselaffe:

Simon:

harry:

Yes you will. Morning rush hour towards Luxembourg City and afternoon away from the City, especially towards Thionville (F) and Perl (D) should be avoided.

Totally agree, it is usually extremely busy at rush hours.

Shows you the last time I was in Lux? :unamused:

Inselaffe:

Simon:

D’oh! :unamused:
Yes, Martelange :slight_smile:
I even looked it up on Google maps cos although Bastogne was the first place that came to mind, it didn’t seem right. So I started to zoom in on roughly the right spot and Bastogne came up, so I thought my earlier instinct was at fault after all. I clearly should have checked further. Sorry :frowning:

Simon:
on the right is route66

Anybody know if they sell beer there ? Can only see wines and spirits on their price list on the website .

bald bloke:

Simon:
on the right is route66

Anybody know if they sell beer there ? Can only see wines and spirits on their price list on the website .

I’m not sure, but I think they do, in small quantities.
Give them a bell n ask them? 00352 26 30 50 25, open Mon - Sat 0600 - 2000 CET.