Calais to Bologna in a van

Hi

Can anyone give me the best route from calais to bologna in a van.

Looking at the map it says Calais - Reims - Metz - Strasbourg - Basel - Milan - Bologna ( is this the best route)

Looking to stop at Reims and Bellinzona if anyone knows any nice places to stop.

Thanks

Don’t go via Strasbour or Basel. Go Calais, Reims, follow signs for Dijon, Lyon, then follow Milan via Mont Blanc.

theaa.com/route-planner/inde … tropolitan City of Bologna

Isn’t the tunnel expensive though

+1 for bigverns route.

I never pay for tolls though, the trucks owner does.

If i did, maybe id run different. Especially in a van.

But it depends on many factors, rush job etc etc.

Thanks for the replys

Yes boss will pay for the tolls, in no rush have two days

Dockworker:
Hi

Can anyone give me the best route from calais to bologna in a van.

Looking at the map it says Calais - Reims - Metz - Strasbourg - Basel - Milan - Bologna ( is this the best route)

Looking to stop at Reims and Bellinzona if anyone knows any nice places to stop.

Thanks

Hi DW
How big is the van and is it loaded ?
Do you have to get to Bologna quickly or can you travel via national roads instead of all Autoroute ?
If you go to google maps it allows you to do a route planner and in choices you can plan without toll roads. To be honest its not much difference time wise.
copy and paste the link below.
We all used to use this route when we were running light to Italy via Swiss. Use the route via Swiss. you can go via Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, Luneville and over the Col du BonHomme or over Epinal, both great routes, Epinal is good road, Bon Homme mountain roads but great scenery. Anyone know if Charlies at Luneville is still open ? Good Routiers.Onwards via Mulhouse and to the Swiss border at Basel or the small border Hunningue and out into Italy at Ponte Chiasso then a short squirt to Milano and onwards to Bologna. Enjoy the trip. Great food and wine and good scenery. Cheap diesel in Luxembourg.
google.com/maps/dir/Port+de … m1!2b1!3e0

GS.

I’d third big verns suggestion more or less, we run to Miland and Turin regularly and that’s the way we go, though we use the Frejus.

If you are going today or tomorrow I would avoid France, the haulage union has called a strike from 22.00 tonight no date for an end but restaurant owner in Boulogne fish market reckons it could be for 3 days, piles of tyres are already being piled up for blockades, for once glad I’m in England this week :smiley:

mazzer:
If you are going today or tomorrow I would avoid France, the haulage union has called a strike from 22.00 tonight no date for an end but restaurant owner in Boulogne fish market reckons it could be for 3 days, piles of tyres are already being piled up for blockades, for once glad I’m in England this week :smiley:

Gotta love the french. Im in france pretty much the rest of the week as of wednesday. Sounds like it could be fun.

Concretejim:

mazzer:

Gotta love the french. Im in france pretty much the rest of the week as of wednesday. Sounds like it could be fun.

Mate is in Rungis at the moment says it isn’t looking good on the French news and the news confirmed it is for three days!

Thanks everyone.

Do I need to get a International Driving Permit, I have a photo license.

Dockworker:
Thanks everyone.

Do I need to get a International Driving Permit, I have a photo license.

No. A photocard licence is an EU licence, which is also acceptable in Switzerland, so you should be fine.

Right, I run a van on Long Distance European work
week in week out.

France is quickest, however it will cost you. Calais to Mont Blanc €122 in tolls, €58.50 Tunnel Cost then €40 to Bologna

Or

Swiss is cheaper, and my preferred option. No tolls to Lux. €30 Transit form at Sterpnich, €20 in tolls if you got A4 to Strasbourg, or free if you go N57/N66 Bussang. 40CHF Swiss tax, then from Chiasso to Bologna is €25

Or

Calais - Lux - Karlshrue - Stuttgart - Kempen. €10 Austrian vignette. Over Fernpass, up and over the Brenner, cost €9. Straight down the A22 to Modena then Bologna, cost €25. I’ve come this way today and it’s the best route for no hassle. It’s a bit longer than the other 2 but very straight forward.

What your getting off the others bar Big Perm is lorry driver mentality, I know as it took me ages to get out of it when I started up on my own with a van!!

I just came back that way!

BuzzardBoy:
Swiss is cheaper, and my preferred option. No tolls to Lux. €30 Transit form at Sterpnich, €20 in tolls if you got A4 to Strasbourg, or free if you go N57/N66 Bussang. 40CHF Swiss tax, then from Chiasso to Bologna is €25

What your getting off the others bar Big Perm is lorry driver mentality, I know as it took me ages to get out of it when I started up on my own with a van!!

In a wagon, from Lux, going Metz, Nancy, Luneville, St Die, tunnel, Colmar, St Louis is only €28 at the tunnel and no other tolls (nearly €40 going to Strasbourg on A4). It’s also 20 minutes quicker, more if you get held up in the rush hours in Strasbourg. You could miss out the tunnel and go over the Col for free. I don’t know how much the tunnel is in a van, but less than a 40 tonner, probably by around half.

It is primarily a lorry drivers forum. Lorry drivers solutions are what you’ll mostly get :smiley:

The original post does state in a van. You’d expect van drivers replies surely?

bigvern1:

Bigvern
You are absolutely correct.
And this website does saywww.TRUCKNETUK.com…not VAN NET.com, so of course truck drivers are going to reply and offer advice from a truck drivers point of view but that doesnt neccessarily mean that the routes are not suitable for a van to transit on. or should that have said Transit Van. !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

GS OVERLAND:

bigvern1:

Bigvern
You are absolutely correct.
And this website does saywww.TRUCKNETUK.com…not VAN NET.com, so of course truck drivers are going to reply and offer advice from a truck drivers point of view but that doesnt neccessarily mean that the routes are not suitable for a van to transit on. or should that have said Transit Van. !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Why would you go through a tunnel in a van, it would be Swiss every time surely!

Calsis-Reims-St Dizier-Nancy-Epinal-Bussang-Mulhouse-Basel-Chiasso/Como-Milan-Bologna is the way we used to go to Italy if we were light enough (it was 28t GVW then) to go Swiss. Quickest route by far, an easy two day slap from London if you timed it right to get through Swiss.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

It’s all about the speed in this game. Quickest rules every time. Unless you work for a tight arse like I do. Non-toll usually wins! :open_mouth: