Cairnryan to Belfast

Anyone give me a begginers guide as to how you go once you get to the port? Only ferrys i.ve ever been on are the Cal-Mac ones, i suspect these might be a bit bigger

Book in, get in lane, drive on. Have your dinner, drive off.

bigvern1:
Book in, get in lane, drive on. Have your dinner, drive off.

Sounds easy enough, sure i can manage that, just wasnt particularly sure which of the 20 lanes i should be in …

Don’t dawdle going to the drivers lounge for food, there’ll be not much left within 10 mins of sailing

I did this for the first time recently and it’s pretty straightforward.
Drive up to the guardhouse and get your tickets, they will issue you a lane. Go to the lane and put your tacho on break, wait for the steward to wave your lane onto the ferry. Once on-board take a mental note of which deck you are on because you don’t want to be flapping about when they begin disembarkation. I can confirm as somebody else has said, go straight to the driver’s lounge (deck 8 ) once you are parked up go and get some food because it gets snapped up quick! You can relax after that.

if you dont get the code for the truckies lounge then the flipflop at reception 6 feet away will give you it,or just ask at the check in barrier.
just remember to take your ticket up with you.
if you cab it and dont go up,just set your alarm 1 hour 50 mins after you feel the captain drop the clutch and you will be nice time enough to surface once you see the passengers on the deck your on…
easy parking and good chippy/petrol station in ballynure either going to or from the boat plus easy parking .

also plenty of layby parking outside,or enroute to belfast off main road if your wanting to park up.

Thanks all, just a quick turnaround as tipping at Harland and Wolff and straight back across empty, is the food free in the lounge, just the way everyone says be quick

Yes it’s free.

chaversdad:
Thanks all, just a quick turnaround as tipping at Harland and Wolff and straight back across empty, is the food free in the lounge, just the way everyone says be quick

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
take your ticket upstairs with you and make sure you ask them to write the code for the truckie door on it for you otherwise you wont get in and will have to go back downstairs for it,

remember and take a nice picture of samson and delilah when your there… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
if you cab it and dont go up,just set your alarm 1 hour 50 mins after you feel the captain drop the clutch and you will be nice time enough to surface once you see the passengers on the deck your on…

I thought they were clamping down on that after last Decembers dip in the water caused 3-4 lorries to have a lie on their side.

scadden:

dieseldog999:

I thought they were clamping down on that after last Decembers dip in the water caused 3-4 lorries to have a lie on their side.

Dunno about the Irish boats, but the Channel crossing ferries threaten a ban to anyone caught “cabbing it”. Even someone with little regard for their own safety may consider loosing their job an incentive not to stay on the freight decks? Or would they take the same “never happen to me” attitude?

Franglais:

scadden:

dieseldog999:

Dunno about the Irish boats, but the Channel crossing ferries threaten a ban to anyone caught “cabbing it”. Even someone with little regard for their own safety may consider loosing their job an incentive not to stay on the freight decks? Or would they take the same “never happen to me” attitude?

Two strikes and your out on Irish Ferries got caught last year on Rosslare to Pembroke so upstairs each time now, deep joy :cry: :cry:

its a bollox on the boats that you have to show your passport on for i.d when boarding,but on any northern ireland crossing,then ive yet to give my real name as its never ever checked.
you only need to say a name and an initial for your first name to the check in cabbages and they just write it down without asking for proof.
if your pulled coming of the boat by the cops for a check,then theres never any need for them to ask to see your ticket as you could have quite easily binned it coming off the ramp.
if your on the irish ferries,then the golden rule is to make sure someone else uses your ticket to have the cabin to themselves ,remember to make sure you cant be seen from the outside,and never ever sit up when they hang onto the mirrors and batter the door. the penalty of sitting upstairs for 210 minutes of miserable boredom is the only other option. :cry:

Anybody cabbing it on a ferry really needs a reality check . The problems might not be obvious to you but the added risks certainly put you on the percentage of unacceptable risk .
The crew won’t be looking out for you and do you really want to have it on your conscience of putting their lives at risk due to your stupidity or selfishness?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Anybody cabbing it on a ferry really needs a reality check . The problems might not be obvious to you but the added risks certainly put you on the percentage of unacceptable risk .
The crew won’t be looking out for you and do you really want to have it on your conscience of putting their lives at risk due to your stupidity or selfishness?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
in reality then what are the chances?
less or more than when you get on a plane?
your seatbelt and life jacket will be about as much use as ■■■■ on a bull if anything happens,so why be concerned.
would it have made any difference on for example the good old herald if a cpl drivers drowned compared to the masses that drowned upstairs anyway?
you seem to forget that there is no lock from the decks to going upstairs,the doors are only locked from the stairs side and you can leave at anytime.
if the crew wont be looking out for me,then they wont be putting their lives at risk anyway.
theres as much chance of dying of hypothermia/drowning or drowning like a rat in a trap upstairs in the cabins so why not drown in your cab.
its lottery chances of it ever happening to you in the 1st place,so personally i couldnt give a toss,and il take the comfort and tranquillity of my cab before the purgatory and irritation of upstairs unless im going up to get fed.

dieseldog999:

grumpyken52:

your seatbelt and life jacket will be about as much use as ■■■■ on a bull if anything happens,so why be concerned.
would it have made any difference on for example the good old herald if a cpl drivers drowned compared to the masses that drowned upstairs anyway?
you seem to forget that there is no lock from the decks to going upstairs,the doors are only locked from the stairs side and you can leave at anytime.
if the crew wont be looking out for me,then they wont be putting their lives at risk anyway.
theres as much chance of dying of hypothermia/drowning or drowning like a rat in a trap upstairs in the cabins so why not drown in your cab.
its lottery chances of it ever happening to you in the 1st place,so personally i couldnt give a toss,and il take the comfort and tranquillity of my cab before the purgatory and irritation of upstairs unless im going up to get fed.

I would rather take my chances up on the open passenger areas than locked inside a tin can inside another tin can inside another tin can in the dark surrounded by flooding water or fire .
It’s an argument that I will never understand and won’t waste much time on .
I just prefer to have the odds in my favour where my safety and survival is concerned .

grumpyken52:

dieseldog999:

grumpyken52:

I would rather take my chances up on the open passenger areas than locked inside a tin can inside another tin can inside another tin can in the dark surrounded by flooding water or fire .
I just prefer to have the odds in my favour where my safety and survival is concerned .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
each to their own my good man,
no doubt it will come as no surprise for me to say i quite happily use my phone in a petrol station and never use flight mode on a plane either… :smiley:

dieseldog999:

grumpyken52:

dieseldog999:

grumpyken52:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
each to their own my good man,
no doubt it will come as no surprise for me to say i quite happily use my phone in a petrol station and never use flight mode on a plane either… :smiley:

The days of using a booted CB in a petrol station were far more entertaining and also far more dangerous. The bonus was if your transmission caused interference between the pump and the till .
Much total bol###ks has been spouted about the harm that phone signals could cause .

You can use your phone to pay by contactless which means you need your phone next to the pump.

So much for fire risk.

El Deano:
You can use your phone to pay by contactless which means you need your phone next to the pump.

So much for fire risk.

Did you not know that the risk of fire decreases once a retailer knows it can make more money via faster transactions? :open_mouth: