Cages but no tail lift?

Hi everyone quick question. Gaffers asked me to take a load tonight, all cages but I’ve got no tail lift and its all handball, no steps on back of truck just bumper. Is this even legal?? Ta very much!!!

Do your delivery points have loading docks or are they all street level?
If you ignore the fact the goods are in cages, its no different to a parcel courier hand balling his deliveries for a day.

i agree with m1cks just use your head and common sence cos if you aint got a tail lift its not coming off in a cage unless the delivery piont has a fork lift or docking ramp

Don’t normally have an issue with unloading by hand as that what our guys do all the time but you can get caught out with cages, how are they secured in the back? Strap, loadlock? You have to release them to open them, are you on the flat? If they roll out the back while you’re carrying off the back it’s gonna sting a bit. If it’s a standard height truck bed you should have a step as a minimum with a handhold/strap, if it’s at night you should have sufficient lighting.
I could go on, I’m no H&S ■■■■ but people get hurt badly by cages when it goes wrong, hope this helps.

SD

To be fair I think cages on a tail lift are more dangerous then handballing the whole lot off. I have seen them fall of the plate on more than one occasion

Scissor lift :question: by any chance

Is it supermarket?? Strange not to have a tail lift and no lift at store, most now have trailer height bays and a dock leveller, or at least a scissor lift. Only ones I have seen without are Morrisons and they just use a forklift in the yard and put a guy in the trailer with a pump truck