cafes

just thinking about all the cafes that have gone since I was around 10 and going to them with my dad,one I do remember is Watford gap on the M1,used to have a drivers café separate from the services,if you had something to eat ,even just a sandwich a second big mug of tea was free,i think what stands there now is a hotel,such a shame

I went in Watford Gap once and the old battleaxe behind the counter wouldn’t serve me,
said I wasn’t a driver because I didn’t look old enough.
The geezer behind me in the queue told her to go ■■■■■■■■ - he’d seen me getting out of my motor and wandering across.
There was one on Leicester Forest southbound.
The building is still there looking all derelict.

Grahams transport cafe at Bridgewater has been gone for years.

Can remember separate lorry drivers cafes at Aust,the one on the M61 nr Bolton and Strensham.

I remember as a young lorry driver stopping at the M1 Junction 9 Cafe (Watling Street Lorrypark). The old bloke with glasses who worked behind the counter couldn’t talk unless he pressed a button on his throat, and then sounded like Davros, king of the daleks when he talked… I still have nightmares about him 30 years later! :open_mouth:

contractdriver:
I remember as a young lorry driver stopping at the M1 Junction 9 Cafe (Watling Street Lorrypark). The old bloke with glasses who worked behind the counter couldn’t talk unless he pressed a button on his throat, and then sounded like Davros, king of the daleks when he talked… I still have nightmares about him 30 years later! :open_mouth:

the hollies is still going but years go it was the pits food wise and there used to a yorkies truckers place at hilton park services we used to stop at instead it was right at the top of the services building if i remember right and it took a while to get up there. the gap used to be a regular stop years ago for me as well it was so handy having cafes for truckers on the services back then.

I remember when Watford Gap gave you a slip of paper for the second cup of tea and having a row with the staff when she tried to take my cup away, I told her it didn`t say on it when you had to have it, my first cup was the week before !

Yes, sad loss the old Granada services transport cafes, i was a regular at the Hilton Park one till it shut, not so long ago either…i wrote a stiff letter of protest to Moto boss about the closures but don’t recall a reply.

The old Lymm transport cafe stands out in my mind as a young 21/22 year old driver, Dennis the now long dead and much missed chap who taught me about lorrying on my first artic job took me in there, good breakfast and very good looking girl behind the counter in seamed stockings, those really were the best days in lorry driving.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12421

Juddian:
Yes, sad loss the old Granada services transport cafes, i was a regular at the Hilton Park one till it shut, not so long ago either…i wrote a stiff letter of protest to Moto boss about the closures but don’t recall a reply.

The old Lymm transport cafe stands out in my mind as a young 21/22 year old driver, Dennis the now long dead and much missed chap who taught me about lorrying on my first artic job took me in there, good breakfast and very good looking girl behind the counter in seamed stockings, those really were the best days in lorry driving.

I take it you mean the Populars, or “Pops”, as it was known.
I remember that place when it was a wooden hut in the middle of a rutted unsurfaced park.

the star at lesmahagow, the moss at carlisle, the cafe (also the pub) at kirpatrik fleming, cafe at the beatock, the ashgrove at huntly

bestbooties:

Juddian:

I remember that place when it was a wooden hut in the middle of a rutted unsurfaced park.

I think it was Poplars, and yes it was a wooden hut.

scotstrucker:
the star at lesmahagow, the moss at carlisle, the cafe (also the pub) at kirpatrik fleming, cafe at the beatock, the ashgrove at huntly

The Elvanfoot at Crawford.

contractdriver:

LOL

Juddian:

agree with that,[the girl I mean]lol

Juddian:

bestbooties:

Juddian:

It was shut about 1998ish I think it was.
Elvanfoot and Kirtle cafe on the A74, Green hut at Thelwall, Sunset at Penkridge…half of you wouldn’t be born :laughing:
Forton Services up the tower where the gay guy behind the counter used to give you extra sausage…leave it! :laughing:

robroy:

Juddian:

bestbooties:

Juddian:

It was shut about 1998ish I think it was.
Elvanfoot and Kirtle cafe on the A74, Green hut at Thelwall, Sunset at Penkridge…half of you wouldn’t be born :laughing:
Forton Services up the tower where the gay guy behind the counter used to give you extra sausage…leave it! :laughing:

Christ Poplars lasted till 98?
Wasn’t it the opposite side of the road to the current Lymm site?, or is my fading memory up to its usual.

Must have been '76 the first time i went in there, can’t remember the last but it wasn’t that recent, probably stopped going when the pretty stockinged totty vanished…hope a lucky driver went off with her and they lived a good life.

I also have fond memories of being in the truck with my Dad,Truckman. Im 42 now and my old man drives heavens highway,but I often think back to how ’ exciting it was '. Adjusting my Dads n/s mirror with my spindly 9 year old arms was a work of art. " Up a bit son…no…bit more…erm…down a bit…in a bit…no,too much…back out again…"

In those days I was allowed to wander round yards and ■■■■ about. Forklift drivers would give me allsorts of stuff.

Now its all different and im not sure the old man would enjoy it as much these days. He was a miserable git at the best of times Lol.

Generally, whatever site they built a `Little Chef ’ on , would have once upon a time been used as a transport cafe .
Prime locations - main routes ,
many a good eatery tea stop lost to " here we go again " :cry: .
speaking of which ; what happened to Captain Morgans :question:
Still a few oldies hanging on - just -

Juddian:
Christ Poplars lasted till 98?
Wasn’t it the opposite side of the road to the current Lymm site?, or is my fading memory up to its usual.

Must have been '76 the first time i went in there, can’t remember the last but it wasn’t that recent, probably stopped going when the pretty stockinged totty vanished…hope a lucky driver went off with her and they lived a good life.

Well it wasn’t me :smiley: yeh it would be 98 99 ish because the new one was originally called Poplar 2000. If you turn right out of Pops the old site is about 100yds on left down A50. The old slip road for the pumps is still there.
Didn’t Carman Trans ( Brit Euro) have a depot behind it?