CAEN- PORTUGAL

I’m going on Monday…Will try and do a diary this time, as am plodding there in a 7.5t. So plenty of time for pics (If I can find my camera in time! :blush: )

Look forward to that, it sounds like a nice little run to me. Where in Portugal will you be going ?

I don’t know yet.Will get details later. I’m still on call for today, so anything could happen before then!
All I know, is that I’m picking up R.A.F.Lynham Mon morning.

So,let me get this right…You are going from Caen to Portugal ? Are you being " dropped " in Caen,as if by magic ? or are you starting your journey, UK to Portugal via Caen off the ferry ?
Just a thought,remember there are some on here who have no idea where Caen is,& think that Portugal is a holiday destiation.

there is a new motorway from the border at villa formoso to lisbon,if you are going that way,ask for a franchesina,its a foot high mega sandwhich,full of meat,salad,eggs,topped with hot spicy gravy,for a drink,ask for a tango,thats beer with red fruit syrup.

the port for caen is called ouistrheham,about 7 miles away,its briitany ferries that operate there,nearby is the pegasus bridge,where the gilders landed in the war,the daughter of the owner of the bar on the bridge was still alive a few years ago.
the coin de port is the rouitiers in the town,the old owner used to let his dogs sit on the counter of the bar.

toby1234abc:
the port for caen is called ouistrheham,about 7 miles away,its briitany ferries that operate there,nearby is the pegasus bridge,where the gilders landed in the war,the daughter of the owner of the bar on the bridge was still alive a few years ago.
the coin de port is the rouitiers in the town,the old owner used to let his dogs sit on the counter of the bar.

In this said area of Northern France i bumped into " T C " on more than one occasion ain’t that right Toby ?

Yeah, that’s right…I’m being dropped by a Chinook, right at the point where the ferry docks in Caen! :laughing:
Seriously, am going via Portsmouth Monday afternoon (For those who don’t realise Caen is in Northern France!) :blush:

toby1234abc:
its a foot high mega sandwhich,full of meat,salad,eggs,topped with hot spicy gravy

Just make sure you sleep with the windows open after that lot!

Jesus no doubt people report stories of “Gassings” on runs to Spain :wink:

Seriously though - sounds awesome!

That sounds delicious. :sunglasses:

Have a nice trip,good road out of Caen now,well i should say all the way to Portugal. :smiley:

Went to Lagos ( Algarve ) a few weeks back,took groupage from Stoke on Trent. :wink:

Used that ferry and road on the way to Le-mans last year. Nice and clear for the best part. I’m looking forward to it.

that will be a nice trip.
don’t forget that if you stop overnight on a portugese toll road, it may cost you double.
the new road from villaformosa down is a good one.
i’m loading belguim next week, and off down to lisbon myself, enjoy your trip.

Yeah, my colleague found this out a few weeks ago! :confused:

Yes,and enjoy the grub on the ferry,we all know it used to be free for freight,until pick pockets came along and made themselves a picnic for the day ahead,drivers now get 50% off,with your ticket,drinks such as beer and wine are full price on Brittany Ferries.
Normaly,they put you in a cabin alone,but sometimes you have to share with a snorer or farter.They do allow parking in the trailer park as you come off the ship,there is a good bar in the terminal,that does croque monsieur,and some coffee before you hit the road.
Do you know where you are tipping yet?It may be Oporto,in the north.
There is french customs on the three peages before the border,they work at night too,and sometimes the customs motorbike teams are deployed for a full on control.You can not access the old cabbage patch,BP garage at St.Andre de Cubzac in Bordeaux,they have knocked it down(Weight limit.).
For Spain,they want you to have a hi viz for breakdowns,and if wear glasses,you must have a spare pair with you,and the 28 day attestation activity form from your boss,if there is a gap in the tacho records,thats a 2301 euro fine,in the Basque area,the “Red Caps”.

Going to Alverca airport, near Lisbon. I’ve been to Portugal before so I know the score. Thanks for the input by the way. It’s 1082 miles off the ferry. So 2 long days driving ahead. Looking forward to it. :sunglasses:

bigvern1:
Yeah, that’s right…I’m being dropped by a Chinook, right at the point where the ferry docks in Caen! :laughing:
Seriously, am going via Portsmouth Monday afternoon (For those who don’t realise Caen is in Northern France!) :blush:

You can’t get puddle jumper on a Chinook… It would probably be a Hercules, flying low with the ramp down for a speedy getaway!

Carry five spare rolls in Spain if you’ve got a digital tachograph…

I used to travel regularly on the Caen > Portsmouth boat. I couldn’t believe the cost of the food with a freight ticket.

Bob

I thought £4.95 was ok for a 3 course dinner! :open_mouth:

Quite sure there is no airport in Alverca,it was the town,where trucks had to clear customs,then deliver on wheels,let us know if there is an airport,the main international airport is a long way from Alverca.

You can get a little further inland than Ouistreham

You have to fly in with a Horsa glider :stuck_out_tongue: