cabotage

ok, I sort of know cabotage involves the amout of separate journeys you can do in another country, so does cabotage cover foriegn trucks doing containers or trailers from docks in a different country to were they are registered?

yes (allegedly)

So they are only breaking cabotage rules if they keep the same trailer on?

weeto:
So they are only breaking cabotage rules if they keep the same trailer on?

I think “internal” journeys in another country comes into play here . . . grey area :slight_smile:

where do you get that answer from?

you asked a question, it was answered

it doesn’t matter what trailer it is

“Cabotage” is when a vehicle completes a haulage job (collection and delivery) in a country other than that in which it is registered.

Since 1997, Cabotage has been permitted throughout the EU, subject to a maximum of three journeys within seven days following completion of the inbound international journey.

shuttlespanker:
where do you get that answer from?

you asked a question, it was answered

it doesn’t matter what trailer it is

As I said, I am not entirely sure what cabotage involves.
If containers, with the same skelly on doing 5 - 6 boxes off the dock tip and load, legal or not?
RO-RO trailers, unit picking up 5 -6 trailers tip and reload legal or not with foreign registered unit/skelly?
And I mean doing this in UK only over 6 days.

weeto:
If containers, with the same skelly on doing 5 - 6 boxes off the dock tip and load, legal or not?

Not.

walter koops seem
to think it is :astonished:

Is it true that within the next few years cabotage restrictions are being totally abolished within the EU? I’m sure I read something to that effect a few years back but have heared nothing since.

I think in the near future this rule will be scrapped completely, in order to promote “free trade” within the EU. And that will be the final nail in the coffin!

alte hase:

Thereal-john:
I think in the near future this rule will be scrapped completely, in order to promote “free trade” within the EU. And that will be the final nail in the coffin!

I don’t think that will ever happen, why?, what would there be to stop you registering your truck as a JF yourself, then ‘return’ to UK and operate here endlessly as a JF , immune from the draconian 'o’licence criterias foisted upon present day UK operators, operate out of a layby, ind est etc, no planning permission worries etc, basically do as the foreigners do now, but do it permanently if cabotage rules are abolished, I could see tens of thousands of UK operators ‘flagging out’, whats Cameron going to do with no trucks paying VED to his regime, owners would simply look for the cheapest EU ‘flag’ and stick two fingers up to the TC’s, are ‘they’ going to let that happen?.

But how much money is lost every year due to EU migrants claiming tax credits etc and sending it all back home. The EU is a wonderful retirement home for former domestic politicians, so the bigger, the more complex the EU is the more money these parasites can take for themselves.

alte hase:

Thereal-john:

I don’t think that will ever happen, why?, what would there be to stop you registering your truck as a JF yourself, then ‘return’ to UK and operate here endlessly as a JF , immune from the draconian 'o’licence criterias foisted upon present day UK operators, operate out of a layby, ind est etc, no planning permission worries etc, basically do as the foreigners do now, but do it permanently if cabotage rules are abolished, I could see tens of thousands of UK operators ‘flagging out’, whats Cameron going to do with no trucks paying VED to his regime, owners would simply look for the cheapest EU ‘flag’ and stick two fingers up to the TC’s, are ‘they’ going to let that happen?.

The new UK road charging scheme will see that it makes no difference to the government as all trucks will then be paying VED. Personally I think we will see a wholescale re-flagging of companies in the not too distant future. Nothing to stop Eddie Stobart or ND re registering all or just some of their trucks in Bulgaria and bringing in Bulgarian drivers on 3 month contracts and then fly/bus them home after each interval. This happens with big international fleets now, Waberer for example . Why else would the UK government be suddenly applying road charging for foreign registered vehicles after 10-20 years of large scale foreign truck presence here. Simply because they know that when cabotage is abolished that tens of thousands of trucks will flag out, or if they dont they will go to the wall in the face of competition from totally unrestricted firms from outside of the UK, namely eastern Europe or western European firms on eastern European plates. All this publicity about Wolter Koops having trucks seized for cabotage seems like nothing more than a last minute PR stunt to me so the government can later claim they did all they could to protect out domestic economy while they were allowed to. All the nails in the UK/Western European coffin where put in place many years ago, its only the hammer blows that were delayed. This whole mess we’re in now has been ordained from 2004 and probably much earlier than that.

robinhood_1984:

alte hase:

Thereal-john:
and probably much earlier than that.

November 1989, once the BERLIN wall came tumbling down! :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

I can see nothing visibly changing at all. Eddie Stobart (or whoever) will look the same, do the same work, on the same contracts, from the same depots. The only thing that will change will be the licence plate and the nationiality of the driver and his wage. Fuel price on domestic work wont be the crux here, it’ll be the cheapest possible driver for that truck, and as the truck will be registered outside of the UK, it will be paying the driver a wage according to the country of registration. Look at the shipping fleets of Britain and Germany, once huge fleets are now next to nothing. The companies still own hundreds of ships but they are registered under flags of convenience with Filipinos, Russians, Indians or Burmese working on them, yet they are still operated from the same offices in London, Liverpool, Hamburg and Emden.