Cabotage To The Rescue

> Carryfast:
> As opposed to an even more rabidly anti road pro rail bunch of closet Communists who think that all truck drivers are strike breaking counter revolutionary rebels.

Anyone remember those posters that were everywhere about the time CF found he couldn’t get a job ■■

I reckon all the transport offices knew that Death was actually Carryfast - and it sure is an uncanny likeness

whisperingsmith:
> Carryfast:
> As opposed to an even more rabidly anti road pro rail bunch of closet Communists who think that all truck drivers are strike breaking counter revolutionary rebels.

Anyone remember those posters that were everywhere about the time CF found he couldn’t get a job ■■

I reckon all the transport offices knew that Death was actually Carryfast - and it sure is an uncanny likeness

But I did get ‘a job’ and maintained a clean driving record including commendations by my last employer of 15 years for my safe driving record.
If I was in the habit of crashing things I’d have had plenty of opportunity to do it driving around 2,000 miles per week.
Although there are obviously firms out there where a penchant for ditching trucks and crashing in a big way is seen as promotion material.

So does anyone really believe that we suddenly went from a situation of supposed over capacity to under capacity needing the help and input of the Belorussian road transport industry.
Or that utilising long haul inernational road transport to carry out domestic freight journeys fits the script of taking freight off the road and putting it on rail.
Or that those cabotage operations will be employed in the domestic distribution sector and that those drivers will be utilised as warehouse labourers during all the downtime
parked up going nowhere that defines the domestic distribution sector.

The RHA are happy for overseas drivers to be brought over to work but not happy for overseas lorries to do the work, overseas drivers equals wage stabilisation or in some cases wage decreases so profit for it’s members without them having to do anything to tackle the problems. Overseas lorries equals more operators and so less profit for it’s members but a quicker solution to the problem in the short term. In short the RHA is ok with drivers losing out but not their members no wonder the industry is where it is.
To those who say temporarily relaxing cabotage will lead to a race to the bottom why would we undercut we are aware of the problem and we are also aware of the rates, the race to the bottom began in 2004/5 when the RHA’s members got access to a cheap supply of labour so it’s a bit rich for them to start complaining about a downward spiral now.

Carryfast:
But I did get ‘a job’ and maintained a clean driving record including commendations by my last employer of 15 years for my safe driving record.
If I was in the habit of crashing things I’d have had plenty of opportunity to do it driving around 2,000 miles per week.

We only have your word for that though dont we and you are Trucknets chief fantasist so jury is out I’d say as you’re not exactly renowned for your honesty. Not to mention you’re far from one for taking any blame for your own failings. What’s betting you had a string of total f k ups (including f-ing up your own back) but they were always someone else’s fault? Most of us have worked with your type. They and the union clearly forced you out for a reason and it’s not because you were a good employee :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ‘Commendations by my last employer’ - the one who fired you over two decades ago you mean?

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

We only have your word for that though dont we and you are Trucknets chief fantasist so jury is out I’d say as you’re not exactly renowned for your honesty. What’s betting you had a string of total f k ups (including f-ing up your own back) but they were always someone else’s fault?

Contrary to getting a pat on the back for ditching a truck ‘avoidable’ there was/is meant literally.I had other similar commendations before that but mislaid somewhere during a house move it doesn’t mean that I crashed every previous year before those.
As a sub contract driver you obviously wouldn’t have been under the same rules.Just as well in your case.
If I was a ‘fantasist’ I’m sure that UPS wouldn’t be a sensible choice of target.

As for cabotage probably a diversion from the fact that the government’s anti road pro rail transport crusade is going off the rails.
So let the exempt ‘developing’ countries like Belorus take the work because they can burn as much cheap diesel as they like under the terms of the Paris Accord but we can’t.That wind power is obviously very expensive stuff.

express.co.uk/news/science/1 … ate-change

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

We only have your word for that though dont we and you are Trucknets chief fantasist so jury is out I’d say as you’re not exactly renowned for your honesty. What’s betting you had a string of total f k ups (including f-ing up your own back) but they were always someone else’s fault?

Contrary to getting a pat on the back for ditching a truck ‘avoidable’ there was/is meant literally.I had other similar commendations before that but mislaid somewhere during a house move it doesn’t mean that I crashed every previous year before those.
As a sub contract driver you obviously wouldn’t have been under the same rules.Just as well in your case.
If I was a ‘fantasist’ I’m sure that UPS wouldn’t be a sensible choice of target.

As for cabotage probably a diversion from the fact that the government’s anti road pro rail transport crusade is going off the rails.
So let the exempt ‘developing’ countries like Belorus take the work because they can burn as much cheap diesel as they like under the terms of the Paris Accord but we can’t.That wind power is obviously very expensive stuff.

express.co.uk/news/science/1 … ate-change

‘Dear colleague’ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: What did they do just give you a stock letter they keep in the drawer? Such a highly valued ‘colleague’ they couldn’t even be arsed to type your name. :smiley:

Anyone can pop random images online. I like many others I shall will just continue to consider you the prize bull excrement extractor you have shown yourself to be.

‘Maintaining our reputation as a responsible transportation company’ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: If only they knew then you were about to spend the next two decades slagging them off to anyone who’ll listen.

That letter is comedy gold

I think I’ve found the original version of the letter on another forum

switchlogic:
‘Maintaining our reputation as a responsible transportation company’ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: If only they knew then you were about to spend the next two decades slagging them off to anyone who’ll listen.

No surprise you preferred to steer clear of the irony in telling me that as a ‘UPS driver’ I represent the company and my safe driving is essential in that.
While then giving the best work to subbies employing those with your type of driving record pulling their trailers and breaking my back, by being used as a warehouse labourer doing anything but driving.

So make your mind up either I’m ‘slagging them off’ and the UK road transport industry as a whole in which being wiped out by the government would be no less than it deserves for its complicity.
Or I’m supposedly just making it all up and forging my employment history using their name to do it.

whisperingsmith:

The difference is I’ve got the original paper version not the digital photoshop.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

No surprise you preferred to steer clear of the irony in telling me that as a ‘UPS driver’ I represent the company and my safe driving is essential in that.
While then giving the best work to subbies employing those with your type of driving record pulling their trailers and breaking my back, by being used as a warehouse labourer doing anything but driving.

So make your mind up either I’m ‘slagging them off’ and the UK road transport industry as a whole in which being wiped out by the government would be no less than it deserves for its complicity.
Or I’m supposedly just making it all up and forging my employment history using their name to do it.

Congratulations Dear Forum User on your great career achievements during the time period in which you worked during your career in the general vicinity of earth sometime within the last century. Achievements we can all aspire to I’m sure everyone agrees

whisperingsmith:

A quite remarkable endorsement. Hiding his light under a bushel again. A bushel that’s on fire. And overweight.

This won’t make much of a difference. The European trucks are just not here in the volumes they were last year. Also the European hauliers didn’t give a toss about cabotage rules anyway. They would stay as long as they liked. They will be laughing at the new 2 week rule. When we ship in from Europe to the UK the ports & terminals are so much quieter than before. Hardly get any delays in Calais anymore, to get a confirmed booking on the overnight Caen/Ports at short notice was impossible. It not a problem any more, plenty of space on every crossing. The UK was reliant on cabotage to keep the supply chain running smoothly, I think we still have the same amount of UK drivers, but with the introduction of the IR35 rules many foreign drivers who were working from the UK have left, combine this with the lack of European trucks and this is the problem. On a positive note, I’ve never been busier than I am right now. Never known the demand for my trucks. Maybe because I tend not to employ foreign drivers (not that there is anything wrong with them, I’ve employed a few brilliant ones over the years), there is a lot of drivers leaving current jobs to go to others for more money, and a lot of big hauliers who used to treat drivers like dirt are not reaping what they sow and paying through the nose. Bad management will lose drivers, drivers deserve to be treated as an integral part of the business, not like a payroll number. I recently went to a RDC to unload with a sign on the door “”No Drivers allowed even ******* Drivers”” I hate this. RDC’s are a huge part of the problem at the moment with the unnecessary delays they cause hauliers, hours waiting. We need the media to stop talking about it and just let us get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteWhiteWhite:
RDC’s are a huge part of the problem at the moment with the unnecessary delays they cause hauliers, hours waiting. We need the media to stop talking about it and just let us get on with it.

It’s obvious that by implication the reduced daily rest provision can only be there to meet a demand for trucks to be used as an extension to the warehousing regime in the form of laughable amounts of downtime between runs.
While the idea of using artics for multi drop and/or sitting waiting while the same trailer is tipped/loaded, totally defeats the object of what they are designed for.
Basically artic operations should be just be a trailer switching operation whether loaded or empty.
But that would obviously require investment in much larger trailer fleets.That’s a haulage operator issue not a government fix.
The government’s part should be the removal of road fuel taxation to provide the cash incentive for operators to invest in equipment and to pay their drivers properly.

Carryfast:

WhiteWhiteWhite:
RDC’s are a huge part of the problem at the moment with the unnecessary delays they cause hauliers, hours waiting. We need the media to stop talking about it and just let us get on with it.

It’s obvious that by implication the reduced daily rest provision can only be there to meet a demand for trucks to be used as an extension to the warehousing regime in the form of laughable amounts of downtime between runs.
While the idea of using artics for multi drop and/or sitting waiting while the same trailer is tipped/loaded, totally defeats the object of what they are designed for.
Basically artic operations should be just be a trailer switching operation whether loaded or empty.
But that would obviously require investment in much larger trailer fleets.That’s a haulage operator issue not a government fix.
The government’s part should be the removal of road fuel taxation to provide the cash incentive for operators to invest in equipment and to pay their drivers properly.

When worlds collide :smiley: Mr White there basically employs drivers to do your dream job. Well, mostly, often a few drops in destination country but nearly always one collection and often drop and turn when back

WhiteWhiteWhite:
This won’t make much of a difference. The European trucks are just not here in the volumes they were last year. Also the European hauliers didn’t give a toss about cabotage rules anyway. They would stay as long as they liked. They will be laughing at the new 2 week rule. When we ship in from Europe to the UK the ports & terminals are so much quieter than before. Hardly get any delays in Calais anymore, to get a confirmed booking on the overnight Caen/Ports at short notice was impossible. It not a problem any more, plenty of space on every crossing. The UK was reliant on cabotage to keep the supply chain running smoothly, I think we still have the same amount of UK drivers, but with the introduction of the IR35 rules many foreign drivers who were working from the UK have left, combine this with the lack of European trucks and this is the problem. On a positive note, I’ve never been busier than I am right now. Never known the demand for my trucks. Maybe because I tend not to employ foreign drivers (not that there is anything wrong with them, I’ve employed a few brilliant ones over the years), there is a lot of drivers leaving current jobs to go to others for more money, and a lot of big hauliers who used to treat drivers like dirt are not reaping what they sow and paying through the nose. Bad management will lose drivers, drivers deserve to be treated as an integral part of the business, not like a payroll number. I recently went to a RDC to unload with a sign on the door “”No Drivers allowed even ******* Drivers”” I hate this. RDC’s are a huge part of the problem at the moment with the unnecessary delays they cause hauliers, hours waiting. We need the media to stop talking about it and just let us get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s more to do with the british drivers retiring than EEs leaving - last year for example 12,000 EE drivers left and 55,000 british drivers retired

Carryfast:

That might suit you, but wouldnt suit everyone, nor every operation. You are arguing for the simplifing of driving and haulage. Why pay for local van drivers to group and warehouse small collections when one vehicle can do it all? Not every driver would choose it, were all different, but just trunking would bore me to death. I enjoy winding around small collection points, and engaging my brain a little. Every bit as cost effective, and more tracable as employing vans and warehouse staff too.
You dont want to do multi drop or collection with an artic? Fine. Dont tell me not to though.
The job is being dumbed down enough without taking even more interesting bits out.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

That might suit you, but wouldnt suit everyone, nor every operation. You are arguing for the simplifing of driving and haulage. Why pay for local van drivers to group and warehouse small collections when one vehicle can do it all? Not every driver would choose it, were all different, but just trunking would bore me to death. I enjoy winding around small collection points, and engaging my brain a little. Every bit as cost effective, and more tracable as employing vans and warehouse staff too.
You dont want to do multi drop or collection with an artic? Fine. Dont tell me not to though.
The job is being dumbed down enough without taking even more interesting bits out.

The justified complaint was actually referring to too much time spent going nowehere waiting for loads to be tipped and loaded at ‘RDC’s’.
By definition that’s all POA and reduced daily rest is there to cater for.
Driving time limits are always the same.
At worse it means that some operations start looking for ‘ways’ to make the waiting drivers earn their POA money such as using them as warehouse staff to save warehouse staff costs.
At best it means loss of tonne/miles productivety for the operator.
Artics like demounts were specifically designed to fix that problem by not using vehicles and drivers as an unpaid part, if not an extension, of the warehousing operation.
Which is exactly what artic trailers and demounts are during the time when they are sitting on the dock going nowhere.
As opposed to using their interchangeability for the job it was specifically designed for.
The idea of a driver and unit or demount rigid sitting there waiting and earning nothing, while semi trailers or demount boxes are tipped and loaded, is an oxymoron.
Only the trailer or box is supposed to sit there being tipped or loaded while the truck and driver are supposed to keep moving.
Not spend up to around 5 hours per shift going nowhere and being paid for it out of what’s left after fuel taxes have already ripped the profit out of the job.

switchlogic:
When worlds collide :smiley: Mr White there basically employs drivers to do your dream job. Well, mostly, often a few drops in destination country but nearly always one collection and often drop and turn when back

If you mean international trunking then I’m in.
You won’t need the licence to be yard shunter.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

If you mean international trunking then I’m in.
You won’t need the licence to be yard shunter.

Indeedy. Tho I fear you’d be more trouble than you’re worth when you’re refusing to help tip a couple of pallets at an Italian butcher.