Cabotage To The Rescue

Considering the Driver shortage is also EU wide, surely the EU companies will want their motors back rather than poncing about doing internal UK work.Sure their Drivers will “love” being away from home for longer than they need to.
Just my thoughts.

lolipop:
Considering the Driver shortage is also EU wide, surely the EU companies will want their motors back rather than poncing about doing internal UK work.Sure their Drivers will “love” being away from home for longer than they need to.
Just my thoughts.

EU truckers companies don t give interess do job inside UK long time.They have interess only take load from somewhere to London area when they had to Dover.Not sure why.One from reason can be who in UK short distance,low millage per day,EU truck have only 2 axle mainly.

BBC R4 Today.
From 08hr10
Edwin Attamer, NL trade union, and Grant Schapps on Cabotage.
bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010hp1

Dutch companies have openly talked about the possibility of helping British supply chains by doing more cabotage. A fortnight ago, over 30 Dutch hauliers wrote a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson that called a for a relaxation of cabotage rules.

In the letter, Ewals Cargo Care, as well as 30 other road transport firms from the Netherlands, argue that cabotage rules should be changed to allow more hauliers to support the UK transport market and increase the productivity per truck.

However, one of Europe’s largest road transport firms does not appear to be that keen on the idea. Roland Hegyesi, commercial director at Hungarian haulage and logistics company Waberer’s International, says any changes to the rules would just reduce capacity on the European continent.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
From the article
“Given the Brexit border friction and the likelihood of having to come back with an empty load,”
From experience I would say this is getting worse too. Watch for balance of trade figures once the initial Brexit fluctuations die down, and the COVID related stuff does away.
Our goods exports have dropped more than imports. There have always been more empty trucks leaving the UK than entering, and I reckon that difference is increasing.
It’ll take a while for the figures to show but it ain’t looking good from my seat.

Any mention of loads being taken only at some minimum rate? Any mention of “The going rate” as there is with giving work visas out?
Screwing the bosses along with drivers then.
UK firms paying higher wages will be even less competitive with EU firms than they were last year.

Back to the 2018 "bloke from the pub " is it?
lemonde.fr/economie/article … _3234.html

Ed to add
And no reciprocity agreement, neither in general haulage nor in the visa hit touring sector.
I’ve been told of changes happening there, but with no printed proof, it’s all currently rumour.

I know you like your links and think that anything you research is right but who exactly is Michael Clover? Do a quick search and you’ll see that what he says about the UK’s trade figures with the EU does not stand up check the ONS, Reuters etc perhaps Michael Clover is the bloke from the pub to!!!

Please give links to these figures you’re referring to?
And part of my post was my own (subjective, not objective, I agree) experience.

Look them up for yourself wouldn’t want to deprive you of your favourite past time easy enough to do as I’m sure you know

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Franglais:
From the article
“Given the Brexit border friction and the likelihood of having to come back with an empty load,”
From experience I would say this is getting worse too. Watch for balance of trade figures once the initial Brexit fluctuations die down, and the COVID related stuff does away.
Our goods exports have dropped more than imports. There have always been more empty trucks leaving the UK than entering, and I reckon that difference is increasing.
It’ll take a while for the figures to show but it ain’t looking good from my seat.

Any mention of loads being taken only at some minimum rate? Any mention of “The going rate” as there is with giving work visas out?
Screwing the bosses along with drivers then.
UK firms paying higher wages will be even less competitive with EU firms than they were last year.

Back to the 2018 "bloke from the pub " is it?
lemonde.fr/economie/article … _3234.html

Ed to add
And no reciprocity agreement, neither in general haulage nor in the visa hit touring sector.
I’ve been told of changes happening there, but with no printed proof, it’s all currently rumour.

I know you like your links and think that anything you research is right but who exactly is Michael Clover? Do a quick search and you’ll see that what he says about the UK’s trade figures with the EU does not stand up check the ONS, Reuters etc perhaps Michael Clover is the bloke from the pub to!!!

Please give links to these figures you’re referring to?
And part of my post was my own (subjective, not objective, I agree) experience.

Look them up for yourself wouldn’t want to deprive you of your favourite past time easy enough to do as I’m sure you know

Very helpful.
“Go and look on the www”.

Franglais:

Very helpful.
“Go and look on the www”.
[/quote]
Always happy to help out :wink:

It is still in the consultation stage if anybody wants to formally object.

gov.uk/government/consultat … mmediately

Sabotage the cabotage!

There IS such a thing as “Diluted Water”…!

…Watering down an already-watered-down Brexit…

Anyone singing that beastie boys song “cabotage” yet?

Slightly off topic, I know but we live next door to a Polish bloke and my wife asked him outright whether it was true what the papers say about thousands of them upping sticks and going home.

He said that yes, it’s true some have gone back but not that many that the press are trying to crack on. He’s part of a sizeable Polish community he’s involved in so it seems fair he knows the score.

There are factions who will try and attach Brexit to most negative situations sometimes unfairly.

I think the figure was something like 12,000 left last year - and 55,000 brits retired so it’s not such a big deal.

Andrejs:

lolipop:
Just my thoughts.

EU truckers companies don t give interess do job inside UK long time.They have interess only take load from somewhere to London area when they had to Dover.Not sure why.One from reason can be who in UK short distance,low millage per day,EU truck have only 2 axle mainly.

That’s what logic would suggest.
How would they cost the job in a short haul distribution dominated trading environment.
Logically if they are going to get involved with supermarket distribution operations they’d need to cost the job by the hour including all demurrage not the mile.
At best ( worse ) they’ll cherry pick whatever distance/trunking work remains in the job.
Although obviously hampered by 2 axle units and being lumbered with their own ( generally wrong ) trailer for container work in that regard.
While the rail freight sector seems conveniently quiet on the subject knowing that it would face competition from foreign based long haul road transport operations.
Maybe they know that the intention is to finish off what remains of the uk based longer haul sector.
Harry seems to have gone a bit quiet on the subject.He seems to have trusted Bozo.
But then he also had no issues about freight being switched from road to rail.
Sabotage to help that switch take place sooner, not cabotage, is my bet.
Bearing in mind the government laughably changing its narrative from one of over capacity in the road transport sector, to suddenly now one of under capacity, requiring the removal of cabotage restrictions.

JeffA:
It cant be!! All the tories on the board were screaming like a biyatch that the tories are the party for working men!!

As opposed to an even more rabidly anti road pro rail bunch of closet Communists who think that all truck drivers are strike breaking counter revolutionary rebels.

Wheel Nut:

Dutch companies have openly talked about the possibility of helping British supply chains by doing more cabotage. A fortnight ago, over 30 Dutch hauliers wrote a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson that called a for a relaxation of cabotage rules.

In the letter, Ewals Cargo Care, as well as 30 other road transport firms from the Netherlands, argue that cabotage rules should be changed to allow more hauliers to support the UK transport market and increase the productivity per truck.

However, one of Europe’s largest road transport firms does not appear to be that keen on the idea. Roland Hegyesi, commercial director at Hungarian haulage and logistics company Waberer’s International, says any changes to the rules would just reduce capacity on the European continent.

I seem to remember that the Dutch have a big intermodal transport sector.
So staking its claim to Boris’ new rail freight dominated utopia seems logical.
As for Warberer’s more like he can see the writing on the wall and what’s behind all this.
Why wouldn’t he see any supposed resulting reduction in road transport ‘capacity’ on the Euro mainland as being good for his operation because he can obviously then fill it.

I’m gonna sabotage a cabotage if I see one going down…

Juddian:
Temporary fixes a speciality of this wonderful Prime Minister and his dream set of Ministers, two weeks is all it will take.
Three weeks to flatten the curve set the tone.
All we’re waiting for now is the calculations of Always on the Money Prof Pantsdown and our troubles are over.
:unamused:

Temporary?

Who said temporary?

Let’s open ourselves to being truly European. Unrestricted Cabotage starts today!

We’ll all see the advantages of unrestricted Cabotage. It’s bound to increase pay and working conditions for all UK drivers. It’s only natural. It must happen with truly open borders.

Do you see how f*king stupid that sounds?

If you don’t, you’re a cretin or you’ve drunk too much Kool Aid

Irony not a forte that applies to you is it old chap ^^^^

ScaniaUltimate:
It is still in the consultation stage if anybody wants to formally object.

gov.uk/government/consultat … mmediately

Thanks, done!