Cabmont

Anyone remember Cabmont (Cables & Montague) from Tunnel Ave, Greenwich, then Fraser Rd, Erith. They also had a depot in St Helens for their motors on contract to Otis Elevators, Kirkby and also did work for Heatons out of St Helens. They also had motors on contract to Atlas Stone, Royston.

I remember seeing them about Viking, but if you want more info try doing a Search for Cabmont and you’ll see what’s been written going back a couple of years.

Cheers Spardo. I worked for them for 11 yrs and to my shame never took one photo. Still, I live in hope that someone, somewhere, did.

i too worked for cables montague…the greenwich depot… erf`s and scammell routemen units…rope and sheets…the owner sold up and got into container leasing…trailer leasing…forgot his name now…but the ■■■■■■ manager was called BOB

but the ■■■■■■ manager was called BOB

:smiley: :smiley:

Imagine that!

I worked with a bloke from Skelmersdale who drove for Heatons and he used to talk about Cables Montague

truckyboy:
i too worked for cables montague…the greenwich depot… erf`s and scammell routemen units…rope and sheets…the owner sold up and got into container leasing…trailer leasing…forgot his name now…but the ■■■■■■ manager was called BOB

Bob Petchy was the TM and his second in command was George■■? at Greenwich and then Erith when I worked for them 1971 - 1982 out of the St Helens depot. If my memory serves me right It was Bob Montagues son Robin who first got into containers…TIP comes to mind.

Remember them well, did any one remember Dave Pope,

blackie:
Remember them well, did any one remember Dave Pope,

Was that ‘handbag’■■?

Never heard him called that, will ask him, he worked for Cabmont international, based in Southampton.

blackie:
Never heard him called that, will ask him, he worked for Cabmont international, based in Southampton.

It’s not the same Dave then mate. This feller came from the Greenwich depot.
There were a couple of the Sholing drivers came into the St Helens depot, one had a day cab Mandator and the other a day cab Foden (both still in PBCCo colours) They were both arguing like hell over who should have the Foden. When we asked them why, the Mandator driver said that he could get a better sleep over the bonnet in the Foden!!! :confused:
When you do see him, ask him if he has any photos of his days at Cabmont. By the way, Bob Petchy the TM was also known as Harry.

Will do, he drives for NEDEXCO now, I remember the advise I was given when I started going over the water in the late seventies.

If you want to save money, follow a Cabmonts truck, they never used autroutes, but never park up beside one, they all had pipes on chasis, to nick your fuel.

Beleave they were paid trip money, that was for, wages, fuel and tolls, so any money the saved, boosted the wages, never found out if it was true or not, my mate Dave denied it, with a smile.

blackie:
If you want to save money, follow a Cabmonts truck, they never used autroutes, but never park up beside one, they all had pipes on chasis, to nick your fuel.

I’m afraid that was true of a lot of the ‘cowboys’ who went over the water. :frowning:

Viking:
Anyone remember Cabmont (Cables & Montague) from Tunnel Ave, Greenwich, then Fraser Rd, Erith. They also had a depot in St Helens for their motors on contract to Otis Elevators, Kirkby and also did work for Heatons out of St Helens. They also had motors on contract to Atlas Stone, Royston.

yes i rember them my dad worked for them in the 60,s at tunnel ave s type bedfords they they used to a overnight trunk london/st helens/london

also you rember lovells wharf at pelton rd se 10

egg on legs

Re Cabmont International.
My name is Gary Summers (CB handle “Slipper”.)
I worked for Cabmont International Southampton. (The company later became known as “British International”) from 1979/1980.
Although I was dismissed because I would not go on trip money like the rest of the lads, I had the time of my life here.
The places I was sent to, the drivers I met, and the trucks that I drove was a great education for me here.
I could make a page here but I will be fairly brief.

I would love to know where all the guys are now.
The lads would all be retired or nearly retired now. (Or have died—god bless em.)

Somebody mentioned Dave Pope.
Yes! He was there in 1979, Southampton (Sholing) depot, which was opposite the Cash and carry thats still there.
The yard is still there, next to the scrap yard.

Drivers there in 1979 were:-

Gary Summers.
Pete Stansbridge (Jelly legs.)
Henry Roberts
Frank Morgan (My Cool and handsome.) An extremely cool & handsome man. I met him in a depot in Ponty Clun with a - —British International truck.
Sam Champ (Married the export girl from Portsmouth harbour)
Jim Bailey (The gentleman.)
Bill Bailey (from Plymouth)
Dave Tanner (Bakers Son from Poole and belonged to the yacht club)
Bob Court (Robert Emerton Court) A great chap and one of life’s “trucking” characters. Came from New Romney, Kent.
John Simkins (he tipped off a load of JCB 3c’s, in a field, and wrecked the trailer, on my first trip)
Mike Cotton (from Rowlands Castle. I later met him working for Lamberts of Eastleigh. He had a very attractive wife.
Bernie Safe (from Salisbury) He tipped over a Ford Transcon in hills of Portugal near Braga. (Many tipped over in 79/80)
Bob Court tipped over a Transcon loaded with apples at the time.
Steve Holland. (Although a “Gulf Sped” driver at the time) (I took on his truck after Cabmont) he was always running with us.
He became Mr Portugal. Clocking up more miles than any of us methinks. He was a great friend.

When I left Cabmont there was 7 or 8 trucks on their side from different companies. “Partrans” and “Partrick” to name a few.
“Sprayaways” was another company out there.
An owner driver man called “The Dove” with his own Volvo 89 was another character.
Two brothers from the Isle of Wight (Daf 2800 and Volvo 89. (I took the 89 on one trip with my son aged 10 then)
I did another trip for Paul Lathem who at the time had a green and gold Bedford with a Detroit engine in it.

If ANYBODY remembers any events or names from the list, please get in touch. They were the best days of my life out there with these guys.

Further to my previous info.
If anybody can give me more info from 1979-1985 re where the Cabmont Boys, or any of the other companies from that era or where are now my email address is gcsummers@hotmail.com

Has anybody any pictures from any trips to Lisbon and Oporto Braga, and many of the Spanish trips we all went to.
Villa Formoso, Fuentes de Anoro the Green hut on the beach at Oporto
Any info and pics would be awesome.
Gary

gary-cliff:
Re Cabmont International.
My name is Gary Summers (CB handle “Slipper”.)
I worked for Cabmont International Southampton. (The company later became known as “British International”) from 1979/1980.
Although I was dismissed because I would not go on trip money like the rest of the lads, I had the time of my life here.
The places I was sent to, the drivers I met, and the trucks that I drove was a great education for me here.
I could make a page here but I will be fairly brief.

I would love to know where all the guys are now.
The lads would all be retired or nearly retired now. (Or have died—god bless em.)

Somebody mentioned Dave Pope.
Yes! He was there in 1979, Southampton (Sholing) depot, which was opposite the Cash and carry thats still there.
The yard is still there, next to the scrap yard.

Drivers there in 1979 were:-

Gary Summers.
Pete Stansbridge (Jelly legs.)
Henry Roberts
Frank Morgan (My Cool and handsome.) An extremely cool & handsome man. I met him in a depot in Ponty Clun with a - —British International truck.
Sam Champ (Married the export girl from Portsmouth harbour)
Jim Bailey (The gentleman.)
Bill Bailey (from Plymouth)
Dave Tanner (Bakers Son from Poole and belonged to the yacht club)
Bob Court (Robert Emerton Court) A great chap and one of life’s “trucking” characters. Came from New Romney, Kent.
John Simkins (he tipped off a load of JCB 3c’s, in a field, and wrecked the trailer, on my first trip)
Mike Cotton (from Rowlands Castle. I later met him working for Lamberts of Eastleigh. He had a very attractive wife.
Bernie Safe (from Salisbury) He tipped over a Ford Transcon in hills of Portugal near Braga. (Many tipped over in 79/80)
Bob Court tipped over a Transcon loaded with apples at the time.
Steve Holland. (Although a “Gulf Sped” driver at the time) (I took on his truck after Cabmont) he was always running with us.
He became Mr Portugal. Clocking up more miles than any of us methinks. He was a great friend.

When I left Cabmont there was 7 or 8 trucks on their side from different companies. “Partrans” and “Partrick” to name a few.
“Sprayaways” was another company out there.
An owner driver man called “The Dove” with his own Volvo 89 was another character.
Two brothers from the Isle of Wight (Daf 2800 and Volvo 89. (I took the 89 on one trip with my son aged 10 then)
I did another trip for Paul Lathem who at the time had a green and gold Bedford with a Detroit engine in it.

If ANYBODY remembers any events or names from the list, please get in touch. They were the best days of my life out there with these guys.

Hi there, yes I do remember some of the guys, I worked for Partricks/Partrans and were great days punching the miles out. I was only 21/22 driving starting with a ERF then getting a Scania and then Volvo. Like a few other guys my drivers door felt the solid earth of the hills in Portugal going to Coimbra. Bob Court and Dave Pope were names that sprung out from the past. With a little help I would remember many more. I think what made the Portugal trip so special there were so few UK companies trucking there so you got to know all the companies and drivers. Things did change when the Potuguese Govenrment gave those incredible loan deals to their trucking companies and that was the start of they taking on the work and we loosing it.

I remember Cabmont, i spent many hours with these guys doing press work, out of Tilbury and Convoys Wharf at Deptford, They were a big fleet and within the space of time were scaled down.
I don’t know if they were out of favour or lost contracts but they were a big outfit …

I worked at Suttons of St Helens at the time,
We used to go to Bethnal Green Depot and stay for the week shunting ,
Always out of Kemsley Mill, Convoys Deptford and Chatham, and if you were unfortunate Heinze’s at Harlsden, good breakfast but a long time loading
Happy days …

Hay there;Henry Roberts & Reckless Rat are both going to the Portuguese drivers reunion in Oct. Bob Court is running his own cake business with his wife,Sam Champ died of a hart attack on the A1 M ,Micky Tounge has retired.Jim Baily Is quite ill, popeie is As I belive driving a tonka truck,and Steve Holland the least said.As for the others I Have no idea yet… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: