?: Cab Sockets and Powering 12volt accessories

Hi Dude’s at Trucknet(UK)

I suspect that this is a new’bee question that cropped up before
but a during an extensive search of previous postings in the forum
I am unable to find it.

I’m Just off to purchase a Voltage Dropper / Converter
(Maplin do a nice one for £20 / Cat A83GW)
from my local Maplin shop in Worcester.

And while I’m there I am considering also buying a “Hella Plug to Cigarette Lighter Socket adapter”
Just in case I ever come across a cab that doesn’t have a conventional cigarette lighter Socket

So I like to ask if anyone here has ever come across a cab that didn’t have
a Conventional Cigarette Lighter Socket fitted ?

Regards: 2xQ

DoubleQ:
So I like to ask if anyone here has ever come across a cab that didn’t have a Conventional Cigarette Lighter Socket fitted ?

Very occasionally. You nearly always have one. However, whether it actually works is another question. Also, the cigar lighter plug/socket combination is, without doubt, the worst design of power connector ever invented, ever. It’s utter [zb]. Get a bad socket where someone’s been using the actual lighter a lot, and the terminal is really corroded, and whenever you go over a bump you lose power.

Personally, I prefer to use Hella wherever possible to preserve my sanity :wink:

If you replace the standard plug with the type that has a red collar, you can use it with the collar in the cig socket, or without in the Hella. Best of both worlds.

But Hella is the best way if fitted.

Scania give you 12 & 24 volt high amp Hella’s and a 24v cig socket too, better than the FM that I had which had a 12v 10amp cig socket only.

Thanks MrFlibble & 8wheels

Yes agree “ Using the Hella Socket is the best “ way “to preserve your sanity”

I’d like to add that on entering the store, I was pleased to almost instantly locate the display of Trucker products
(which to my surprise also included the 24volt Microwave Oven & Kettle)

Well done Worcester ( Blackpoll ) Maplin

I was also pleased to discover that this “dropper” // Maplin Cat “A83GW”
is in fact the “All One” “DS-5080”
which on occasion,
I have found retro’fitted in a few Trucks that I’ve driven on agency jobs.

Photo here
maplin.co.uk/images/Full/a83gw.jpg

What it doesn’t show,
is that the plug fitted is the combination “Hella Plug & Cigarette Lighter Socket adapter”
(Identified by the Red removable adapter Cap)

So no requirement to purchase a separate Hella Plug

Regards 2xQ
www.swansong-webradio.co.uk

MAN have a 12/24 Hella set up as well as a cig lighter socket.

If you have a regular truck there is no reason why you cant use a 13 amp houshold socket to power your goodies straight from the battery if the fitters agree to it.

All our trucks were geared up like this in Holland although we used continental 2 pins

Just be careful about the power rating on things your running through the cab sockets. That voltage dropper is only rated at 96W, which isn’t really a lot. If you’re going to be running a Microwave you will most likely need to run direct wiring to the battery if you run it off an inverter, or you’ll fry the truck wiring and pop all the fuses.

Scania seem to be the main ones for giving Hella sockets, both with higher amp ratings than the main cigarette socket. I have use an inverter to power things like my laptop, but again make sure the socket I use is rated to supply enough power (135Watts), often the 12v sockets only give 120W.

Big thank you to all contributors

When I opened this tread I never imagined that it would expand into such a useful resource

And so that it isn’t lost forever in the abyss of old posting’s
I would like to suggest that the forum modulator(s) consider making it a
“Sticky” right here in “NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE)”

Before I close this mail

I like to repeat the BIG “Thank you” to contributors
& The TruckNet® UK Drivers RoundTable
for making this discussion possible

Best Regards: Double Q

Now: providing a (mobile) 240 Volt AC Supply, powered from the Trucks Batteries.

NICE, But that’s a whole different ballgame

Regards Double Q
Qualified Electronic Service Engineer, C&G 2240, NVQ 2
Holder of Amateur Radio Station Licence (category A) since 1981
(ex) CB Rig Doctor :slight_smile: