Cab hopping.

It is none of my business what the regular has driver in the cab,but the stuff in there in most cases could be thrown in the bin,some are like a hoarders cave,broken old tv antenaes,by the way,he has said i can use the lockers to put my stuff in,so i am not snooping in the cab.
A few are so clean you can have your dinner on the cab floor,and some have dirt and dust,and you can tell he does not care too much about sleeping in that.

Got a broken stool and a broken fishing rod in one of my workmates wagon. You can’t throw it away though, when it’s not your lorry

It is quite tempting to clean out their cab,i sometimes wonder why some stuff is left there when it has no apparent use for in the course of the job.
If i cleaned and polished the cab,some drivers can get offended,i have had this happen before.

toby1234abc:
It is quite tempting to clean out their cab,i sometimes wonder why some stuff is left there when it has no apparent use for in the course of the job.
If i cleaned and polished the cab,some drivers can get offended,i have had this happen before.

Used one and found several two and three week old Sunday Times and supplements so chucked them away. Regular driver went nuts when he returned to work and ‘his’ motor saying ‘I hadn’t read them yet!!’ :confused: :confused: :confused:

toby1234abc:
It is none of my business what the regular has driver in the cab,

Enough said!

I have seen papers that are years old,but none of my business,paid to drive not wipe someones back end for them.

roadhog69:
Used one and found several two and three week old Sunday Times and supplements so chucked them away. Regular driver went nuts when he returned to work and ‘his’ motor saying ‘I hadn’t read them yet!!’ :confused: :confused: :confused:

That’s reasonable of him. Sometimes I save newspapers to read later.

:smiley: :slight_smile:

Having never amounted to anything more than a lowly agency driver (i.e. a spare part who never gets their “own” wagon, gets generally treated like ■■■■■■ and is always filling in for the regular guy) I always follow the general rule:

Leave the cab in precisely the same way it was when you get in

That means everything… seat position, cleanliness, visor positions, mirror positions, radio channel, the lot.

If I need to alter any of those during my shift for my own comfort, I always make sure to put them back at the end of my shift to the way they were before. Different drivers have their own way of doing things which I respect becaus I know I have my own way of doing mine and would be a bit miffed if I came back after a day off and everything was all out of place. It’s common courtesy I suppose.

If there’s something which needs topping up like oil, washer fluid, etc, or tyres needing inflated or tacho paper needing put in, then I’ll do those for the fella as he would have been needing them done anyway.

Having said that though… no-one ever respects you, you’re still always the ■■■■■■■ agency guy who’ll be responsible for anything that went wrong.

If I’m expected to go tramping while someone else is off on holiday, anything he’s left behind that’s in my way or not useful to me gets thrown out, dumped in the traffic office, drivers room if there is one or the skip.

If the holidaying driver thinks I’ll put up with his junk taking up what limited space there is, he’ll know differently when he comes back.

Not nice I know but if he’s going to show his contempt for me by leaving his tat in what is effectively MY truck for the next few weeks, I’ll show my indifference for the safety of his stuff.

As far as I’m concerned, anyone leaving their kit in a truck they share with others, especially agency drivers, is a mug.

If I don’t get to take my truck home at weekends or get to keep the keys in my pocket, I’ll clear it out completely before going home.
The only thing I’ll leave is the CB twig, the CB itself comes home with me.

I quite like cab hopping on our tippers and plant; It’s surprising how 2 “identical” motors drive completely differently. We had 3 identical S reg Foden 6ws, mine was the fastest and quietest but had a stiff gearchange. The second was noisy but had a great gearchange and the third was a combination of the above but the doors closed properly…

toby1234abc:
It is none of my business what the regular has driver in the cab,but the stuff in there in most cases could be thrown in the bin,some are like a hoarders cave,broken old tv antenaes,by the way,he has said i can use the lockers to put my stuff in,so i am not snooping in the cab.
A few are so clean you can have your dinner on the cab floor,and some have dirt and dust,and you can tell he does not care too much about sleeping in that.

so why post about it then? :unamused:

Sorry to be breathing.