Cab Hopping Is So Annoying

Hi all,
It’s really frustrating not having my own designated wagon, im employed full time but im cab hopping constantly,
this week theres been no drivers on holiday or on their days off so I’ve been sat at home bored to death itching to work. Ive worked for the company for nearly two months now and have constantly worked every day having one or two days off a week!

(consolation that its in the sun in the garden and im still getting paid) im on salary for £26,000

My boss just rang though saying that a driver is on holiday next week so ill be tramping on Monday :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and standby this weekend.

I may sound stupid, im being paid to sit at home, but im not that type of person, Im a hands on working guy and for me to not be doing anything feels like im unemployed, ive worked since I was 12 and im now nearly 20 and this week has killed me with boredom.

I just hope someone will leave, or in august when he buys 4 new wagons that ill finally have my own space, instead of the boot of my car filled with tramping gear (ITS FULL!!)

Heres some pictures from last weekend, I was working on behalf of Gywenedd Shipping Group, the drivers are very friendly and helpful, ive been on the motorway and their drivers always flash me or wave when they don’t even know me its madness.

It’s nice to hear someone enjoying the job & getting the hump because your company has you at home. I was like yourself many moons ago. I still love the job but now value my time off. I do 2 to 3 months away at a time so home now is wonderful, especially this month with this weather.
Stick in there & you’ll get your own truck, I hated cab hopping when I started.
I reckon you’d be well suited to euro-work so get a few more clicks under your belt & start looking.
As for being paid while sitting in the sun, , , , enjoy it while it lasts, you’ve got a good work head on you mate.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers bud,
that’s what my dad says, enjoy while it lasts as he values his time off :slight_smile:
It’s been quite amusing seeing him coming home knackered and dripping wet from wearing the chemical suit he uses when doing HF pump offs !

I wouldn’t mind a bit of euro work in the future,
Probably get my own wagon then ! Ahaha :-/

Oh well I’ll just have to be patient.

hi ive got to say id rather be getting paid for working than paid for sitting around. Feels like you deserve your wages!! how did you get a driving job so young? i did my class 2 5 months ago and have my class one in 4 weeks, ive been looking at jobs but nearly all are min 2yrs experience? Or am i looking in the wrong place? thanks

Perseverance mate, I believe the advice I took off this forum helped me to get where I am today!

And that was print 50 CV’s and photocopies of;
Driving license
Counterpart
Digital tachograph card
Cpc card
Passport
NI Number

Have gear ready in the boot of my car (incase you turn up to a place and they need a drivee urgently for example if a driver called in sick) and went round to companies in a 30 mile radius of Liverpool. Also ringing up advertised jobs every day!

As I’m 19 it was a bit harder for me than most newbies who may be 25+ so negligence insurance isn’t a problem in some cases.

But as the agencies said some companies will get desperate, I only got to work for 6 companies for a week in each when on the agencies with waiting 2 months after passing class 1.

Luckily 2 months ago I called up the company I work for and they’ve given me the chance I need, paid the extra insurance premium as I’m 19 and pay me a decent wage aswell.

I know how you feel , been with a new employer for two weeks now , first week I drove 5 different trucks :laughing: I was quite relieved when he said I was being allocated my own motor … Ok so it’s not the tidiest but its fine and as he has 6 new volvo’s on order for sept delivery , hopefully I should get one of the newish ones then . :wink:
Just need to make this one mine now , supposed to,be valeted as it was left in not the cleanest condition inside :imp:
Tank needs a good polish , add a fridge and inverter / microwave and it will be better . Oh and some oil on the ratchets I was left with :unamused: , some people obviously don’t care about the equipment they are given to work with :confused:

I may do a photo diary myself next week if I can work out how to post pics on here :grimacing:

Cheers mike

I truly admire the work ethic mate. :sunglasses:

You might change as you get older though. I used to be the same, but nowadays I would rather be at home and getting paid for it anyday. :blush:

Oh, and I also have to hop in and out of other driver’s trucks and not only is it a pain…some of the conditions I see… :open_mouth:

BTW: You left school at 12? How did you get away with that? :astonished:

LJA:
I truly admire the work ethic mate. :sunglasses:

You might change as you get older though. I used to be the same, but nowadays I would rather be at home and getting paid for it anyday. :blush:

Oh, and I also have to hop in and out of other driver’s trucks and not only is it a pain…some of the conditions I see… :open_mouth:

BTW: You left school at 12? How did you get away with that? :astonished:

I worked part time for;
6 months at a restaurant my cousin was the manager at when I was 12,
6 months part time at Preston football club
2 1/2 years at another restaurant
3 1/2 years at my previous restaurant job

I don’t want to boast but I was a clever child I actually left school at 14 due to passing GCSE’s early so i talked with my school and I went to college at 14 for two years studying professional cookery NVQ (chef) and obviously when I turned 18 I done my class 2 & 1 and im here today full time class 1 driver :slight_smile:

Well, fair to play to you my mate! :sunglasses: Yes, I can see by your posts you’ve got a good education behind you. The way some people speak (and write), I wonder if they ever attended any school! :laughing: I also admire the work ethic too. My Dad was the same, and I believe that had a massive influence on me, which I guess it does to most people out there. But sadly, some parents don’t always give a good example for their kids to follow. :frowning:

Thanks mate means a lot,
I’ve obviously chose the correct path to how I live life, not like the average yob from Liverpool who tend to be in jail before their 21st birthday! Really embarrasses me when everyone associates Liverpool with violence because the media focuses on the crime rather than the success that comes out of Liverpool.

Unfortunately yes there are parents out there who don’t give any guidance or basically a flying ■■■■ what they’re kids do and it’s sad to see.
Luckily I’ve been brought up in what I like to think a good way.

I hated cab hopping.I found it easier by having two of everything.So leave the duvet on the bed at home and leave a spare one in the car ready to put in the truck.
The same for personal stuff like shaving kit and cleaning kit.
When hopping it is better to take the bare essentials and once you get your own cab then fill it to whatever you want.
The regular drivers would report whoever last used the trucl and say it was left in a mess.
Then drivers leave notes telling you to keep it clean.

great93:
I’ve obviously chose the correct path to how I live life, not like the average yob from Liverpool who tend to be in jail before their 21st birthday! Really embarrasses me when everyone associates Liverpool with violence because the media focuses on the crime rather than the success that comes out of Liverpool.

If you believed everything you read or hear in the media, you would think every person from Liverpool is a lying, thieving scumbag you couldn’t trust. Which is obviously utter nonesense. It’s like everything in life though isn’t it? The small minority tend to spoil things for the majority.

great93:
Unfortunately yes there are parents out there who don’t give any guidance or basically a flying [zb] what they’re kids do and it’s sad to see.
Luckily I’ve been brought up in what I like to think a good way.

Yeah, same here mate. I didn’t think about it when I was young, but looking back now I can see that I was given a good upbringing. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but I was taught the main things like to respect my elders, have good manners and (try) not to use bad language! :unamused: It’s also weird, how I have massive respect for anyone that I see as being really intelligent as well. I have obviously never been taught this, it’s just something I have nearly always done as a natural reaction. I guess in the back of my brain, my subconscious mind thinks that they have studied and worked hard for a long time to aquire that knowledge and it demands respect.

As for cab hopping, like Toby says, I also have two of everything which I leave in the boot of my car…much to the annoyance of the mechanics when I take it for MOT’s etc! :laughing:

That’s a good way to look at it :slight_smile:

I can imagine the mechanics fuming having to move all your gear, my cars going in for its first MOT soon not looking forward to emptying it as sometimes people can’t be trusted.

where you driving down derby road about 9pm pulling a P&O trailer, heading towards seaforth docks.

deltawing:
where you driving down derby road about 9pm pulling a P&O trailer, heading towards seaforth docks.

I was on Thursday night as I was on way to sandbach services for the night on way to Essex mate

i knew it had to be you, same truck as all your posts and with a youngish lad behind the wheel. cant wait to get there myself!

deltawing:
i knew it had to be you, same truck as all your posts and with a youngish lad behind the wheel. cant wait to get there myself!

Haha fair enough, I’m on containers again for a few weeks, so glad as the P&O work is rough at times.