cab hoppers cb

I’ve gone back on the road and decided that I wanted a cb in the wagon

1 problem…we don’t have our own motor’s

This is basically the solution I came up with

Asda (other supermarkets are available) had an offer on for a pair of chopping boards for £2
I took the larger one and cut about a quarter off the width. I screwed the cb and speaker to the board as well as staple gun the power cable either side of the fuse. The power cable is fitted with a ciggy lighter plug

This also had the added bonus of solving the little problen I had with it jumping channel or cutting out when I hit a bump :smiley:

This matched to my stinger antenna on a mag mount and you have a cb set up that can be up and running in minutes.

It also sits nicely on the shelf of my MAN TGA

I hope this might help others (cab hoppers/agency etc)

Nice work Semtex. I had to do the same a few weeks ago, I had a friends unit to a show but we ran in convoy. Already had a reducer hidden up in the locker so connected the cables and hid the ariel in the top locker and hey presto.

Ive wanted a CB for ages this could be my answer :smiley:

I can have my cb on all day and not hear one word spoken over it.

Steve-o:

Have you tried turning the volume up? :wink: :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

I want a CB radio in my wagon; are they easy to install?

MrPanther:

Steve-o:

Have you tried turning the volume up? :wink: :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

I want a CB radio in my wagon; are they easy to install?

That one I’ve done has a ciggy lighter plug for power (run thru a hella or dropper if needed. Its 12v)
Mag mount antenna on the roof, wire in thru sun roof…plug it all in and robert is your mothers brother.

If you have a permanant motor, I believe there is a 12v supply behind one of the blanking plate’s above the dash

Semtex:
That one I’ve done has a ciggy lighter plug for power (run thru a hella or dropper if needed. Its 12v)
Mag mount antenna on the roof, wire in thru sun roof…plug it all in and robert is your mothers brother.

Thanks for that, Semtex. :smiley:

It sounds pretty straight-forward; even though I have my own lorry at work, I’d be tempted to use your method so I can just take it out when needed or when I leave for another job somewhere else.

Hmmmm, I think I’ll give it a go; thanks again!

very good idea semtex,and very ingenious!.
slight problem is,not wanting to wee on your bonfire,that it is a “lets have you in sir fixed penalty obscuring vision…” vosa magnet,(not the one on the gearbox either),unless it is mounted somewhere else?.. :wink:

buck73:
very good idea semtex,and very ingenious!.
slight problem is,not wanting to wee on your bonfire,that it is a “lets have you in sir fixed penalty obscuring vision…” vosa magnet,(not the one on the gearbox either),unless it is mounted somewhere else?.. :wink:

The last 2 photo’s show it in it’s “home”. On the TGA there is a small shelf above the screen. That is where it lives.

The first pic of it on the dash is just to show the “set up”

I had the same set up on a board as you Semtex about 15 years ago - Harrier CBX and it looks like the same speaker :slight_smile:

One thing to think about is earthing the set-up which will boost your recieving capabilities. On a TGA there’s a earthing strip inside the fuse box cover so if you run a piece of wire from the outer braid of your coax to this your set-up will earthed.

paulfromwire:
One thing to think about is earthing the set-up which will boost your recieving capabilities. On a TGA there’s a earthing strip inside the fuse box cover so if you run a piece of wire from the outer braid of your coax to this your set-up will earthed.

I believe it is earthed thru the mag mount on the metal roof. I’m getting out and recieving quite well by all acounts (at least 3 or 4 mile, maybe more)

Semtex:

paulfromwire:

I believe it is earthed thru the mag mount on the metal roof. I’m getting out and recieving quite well by all acounts (at least 3 or 4 mile, maybe more)

The only earth that you have is the mag-mount itself mate, not the truck. I was running a President Lincoln and a Zetagi B550P burner in my skateboard years ago. Due to me having the mag mount I was blowing the fuse in the Burner, once it was properly earthed my problems ceased but like you say if you’re cab-hopping you don’t really need to go to these lengths.

Erm Wouldnt it be easier to use a “walkie talkie” type CB ?.
:confused:

Secretelephant:

I havn’t got one of them, I’ve got the one in the pictures :unamused: :wink: :smiley:

Secretelephant:

Out of interest, are these handheld CB radios any good, does anyone know?

Walkie talkie CB’s always were and always will be crap, you will never the the range that you will from a truck/car mounted one, plus they chew up batteries…

Coddy:
Walkie talkie CB’s always were and always will be crap, you will never the the range that you will from a truck/car mounted one, plus they chew up batteries…

Cheers, Coddy. I thought as much.

I have a couple of sets of PMR446 radios and I keep meaning to take one with me to see who I can get chatting to on my 45 but keep forgetting. Likewise, I have a radio scanner that I keep meaning to take to have a listen around the airwaves when I’m on break but keep forgetting that also. Always wanted an in-cab CB radio so I feel I must put that plan into action soon.

I have a Motorola radio with a range of something like 100 - 200 mhz… naughty boy :laughing:

Got it from Hong Kong lol

i have trouble with my cb. it’s about twice the size of most with cooling fins on the back.
4 watts low power.
40 watts high power.
100 watts on side band.

and it melts the standard daf cb aerial. :laughing: