Cab fire

A mate of mine who usually tramps made it back to yard on Monday night so went home for the night . When he went to start work on Tuesday morning he found his truck burnt out which was started by engine on the fridge trailer
Like most trampers he carries alot of gear in his cab satnav laptop ect . His boss says that his company insurance does not cover personal items left in cabs and my mate should claim from his household policy
Has anyone been in a similar situation

I’ve not been in that situation but I believe the company are correct in what they’re saying, your personal items are covered by your own household insurance not the vehicles insurance.

I would expect it will only be covered on your own policy if you selected the items away from home cover as well.

Its quite scary to think how much must be in some peoples cabs if something like this happened

My work rucksack was stolen from my car. When I totalled it up it was over £500. Wasn’t covered by household insurance. Lesson learned

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I have my home contents insurance with Churchill and although never actually made a claim … they have assured me that the policy does cover items away from home ( in the truck ) I have asked several times and explained what I do for a living … I think I have £2500 of cover.
Not all home contents policies will cover stuff away from home like this … it doesn’t add anything to my premium either … just need to choose a figure to cover.

Rentadent:
I’ve not been in that situation but I believe the company are correct in what they’re saying, your personal items are covered by your own household insurance not the vehicles insurance.

Certain household policies have this scenario as an optional extra. Let’s hope the OP is covered, but it would be nice if the boss offered to cover part of the financial loss if he isn’t

Yorkshire lad:
A mate of mine who usually tramps made it back to yard on Monday night so went home for the night . When he went to start work on Tuesday morning he found his truck burnt out which was started by engine on the fridge trailer
Like most trampers he carries alot of gear in his cab satnav laptop ect . His boss says that his company insurance does not cover personal items left in cabs and my mate should claim from his household policy
Has anyone been in a similar situation

Yes, I’ve been in that situation. Some years ago the lorry I was driving caught fire and as I was Euro-tramping I had a lot of gear. The company’s insurance had a ceiling (a couple of hundred quid I think) above which I was expected to draw on my household insurance. My insurer queried it and sent out an assessor to my home. I showed him one of Truck & Driver’s cab kit articles to demonstrate what a driver carries and they coughed up without demur :wink: . Robert

I would photograph all the items that i carry, TV, Fridge, bedding, laptop, a large CD/DVD collection, sat nav, phone, even cash and a few tools and anything else required for the work place and personal comfort, should i not have insurance to cover lost items away from home… I cannot understand why insurers do not ask the owner of vehicles about a drivers personal belongings being insured…i think it should be a legal requirement, as i too had to leave a burning truck once on the M4, and couldnt retrieve all of my equipment…i did get my wallet and jacket though…my first priority.

kcrussell25:
I would expect it will only be covered on your own policy if you selected the items away from home cover as well.

Its quite scary to think how much must be in some peoples cabs if something like this happened

Decent policies automatically include a certain fixed value. Home insurance is definitely the way it needs to go though.

The Rustler:
I have my home contents insurance with Churchill and although never actually made a claim … they have assured me that the policy does cover items away from home ( in the truck ) I have asked several times and explained what I do for a living … I think I have £2500 of cover.
Not all home contents policies will cover stuff away from home like this … it doesn’t add anything to my premium either … just need to choose a figure to cover.

It is not included as standard in Churchill’s regular home insurance. You can add it as an “optional extra”, but there is certainly an extra Premium to pay if you do this (for me it would have been another £11 or so on a quoted basic premium of around £100). By default, opting for this would provide £2500 of cover, but you can increase this level (and pay a bit more still). They also do a “Home Plus” policy which has generally higher levels of cover. This does include Personal Possessions cover (as well as a few more things which would be extra-cost options with the standard policy) but the premium is significantly higher (about another £80 for me).