cab fire

dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … y-10537270

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: wow poor bloke it’s got to be our worse nightmare let’s hope he recovers.

I know Bryan from when i worked at Robert Burns and Bryan was a subbie for them,all round nice fella with a good Scottish sense of humour,
Best Wishes to him.

Poor sod, I bet he wasn’t wearing much either which made things worse. Let’s hope his airways weren’t damaged.
What can be an “exploding aerosol”? Deodorant left in the sun or just exploding in the fire? Not familiar with these in cab automatic air freshener things the paper mentioned.

Hope he comes through it.

I assume the air freshners that go off every few mins are like the air- wick ones I have in my cab ( battery powered ) , would they cause a fire :question: , anyway hope lad pulls through

Bloody hell ! That’s awful.
I have one of those air freshners that go off every few minutes, and tins of polish in the door well, but just a freak accident I would think, (not ‘‘just a’’ btw, it’s tragic for the poor lad)
I wonder if he also had one of those cooking gas canisters, I don’t really know what I’m on about here, but I would have thought they would be a higher risk of being the culprit rather than an air freshner.

I do hope the lad pulls through, whatever.

No one knows what caused it and it’s just speculation. There have been a few ‘suggestions’ but think about it!

I’ll generalise for the purpose. We all have cleaning tackle, most carry small gas canisters, some have smelly 12v fresheners, I would hope everyone has deodorant spray canisters.

All these are combustible! I know there are thousands of drivers (me included) that carry these all week and every week without problem. But!! It only takes 1 instance of an irregularity to cause injury. I rarely understand H & S but on this occasion when you think about it…what COULD happen.

I don’t believe in a blanket BAN but I for one will be checking my locker and cupboards, especially in this warm weather. Said before but I am just another driver to everyone else, it COULD happen to me.

Let’s speculate, leaking stove canister, phone on charge, charger gets hot, shorts out, million to one accident,

Don’t use them smelly squirty smelling things, they can give you breathing difficulties, best way to stop the cab smelling is a matter of personal hygiene, and doing your house work, wash curtains and bedding regular.

Glad I’ve got a day cab going by the above posts. Deodourant on before I come to work and no gas stove or polish cans to worry about.

dozy:
I assume the air freshners that go off every few mins are like the air- wick ones I have in my cab ( battery powered ) , would they cause a fire :question: , anyway hope lad pulls through

I won’t engage in any speculation as to how/why this particular tragedy happened, but you’ve asked a good question that’s had a good answer above.

I’ll just add that generally speaking, most pressurised aerosols contain some sort of propellant gas, which is how the ‘stuff’ in the aerosol gets out when you want it to.

The propellant gas used in such aerosols is often Butane or a Propane/Butane mixture, both of which are highly flammable and all of which are ‘proper’ dangerous goods.

The other (pump) kind of aerosols that you pressurise as and when you need to are therefore much safer because they usually use pressurised fresh air.

However, the contents of both types of aerosols may also be flammable.

dri-diddly-iver:
No one knows what caused it and it’s just speculation. There have been a few ‘suggestions’ but think about it!

I’ll generalise for the purpose. We all have cleaning tackle, most carry small gas canisters, some have smelly 12v fresheners, I would hope everyone has deodorant spray canisters.

All these are combustible! I know there are thousands of drivers (me included) that carry these all week and every week without problem. But!! It only takes 1 instance of an irregularity to cause injury. I rarely understand H & S but on this occasion when you think about it…what COULD happen.

I don’t believe in a blanket BAN but I for one will be checking my locker and cupboards, especially in this warm weather. Said before but I am just another driver to everyone else, it COULD happen to me.

Absolutely not! Why would I need such a thing?

Poor guy :frowning:

worked with one lad who ran his night heater one night, at 3am he was awoken by a large bang, turned out that a tin of furniture polish that had slipped and fell behind the passengers seat of his volvo had got so hot by being in front of the night heater vent that it exploded, he now keeps the tins in the overhead locker

I would say that the powder in the deodourant would be highly flammable just like flour dust in a mill.
When I was a h&s rep in a previous job, I asked for seat belt cutters and fire extinguishers to be fitted in the cabs. Belt cutters were deemed unnecessary, and extinguishers a big no no on the grounds they might encourage drivers to become have a go heros. They should watch the footage of Jo Sifferts’ fatal crash where he could’ve been saved if the marshalls in the fire suits had a working extinguisher and had a clue how to use it.

scotstrucker:
worked with one lad who ran his night heater one night, at 3am he was awoken by a large bang, turned out that a tin of furniture polish that had slipped and fell behind the passengers seat of his volvo had got so hot by being in front of the night heater vent that it exploded, he now keeps the tins in the overhead locker

same story for my pal…into bed…night heater still on…just nodding off and bang…can of lynx explodes as it was over the hot air vent…he was fragrant for a week afterwards.