cab cooking

Afternoon all.
Thought it might be a good idea for those of us that do our own coking to share some of our favorite meal ideas.
I like to use my slow cooker as much as possible so I’ll start with a very simple one that happens to be my favorite.
I use a tin of stewed steak (£1.50ish), a tin of sliced carrots (20p) and a small tin of new potatoes (45p). Make up some dumplings using a packet mix. Chuck it all in the slow cooker 2-3 hours before i park up for the night and hey presto a tasty hot meal with minimum preparation. There is normally easily enough for 2 meals and obviously you can swap veg to your own taste. I find the beauty of using the slow cooker is if you get delayed anywhere once its cooked you can just switch the cooker to the keep warm setting and your tea will be ready for you when you do manage to get parked up.

That’s, what you you call a cheap and effective way of saving on wages whilst away.

Why, are you dreaming of Australia, it’s nothing special and loads of English are leaving in there droves … I aim to be home in the uk next year after 6 away.

I assure you, you are better off in the UK.

discoman:
That’s, what you you call a cheap and effective way of saving on wages whilst away.

Why, are you dreaming of Australia, it’s nothing special and loads of English are leaving in there droves … I aim to be home in the uk next year after 6 away.

It’s a bit of a long story but basically I have family over there. A brother and 3 sisters that I didn’t know anything about until about 10 years ago so missed out in growing up with them and would just love a chance to spend more time with them now. For me it’s more about the people than the country though must admit I do love the place. Prefer it out in the sticks to the cities. One of my sisters lives just outside of Harden in NSW. Wouldn’t mind living there.

Not a fan of tinned food, tried it once, happened to be tinned stew also, never again, i try to eat fresh cooked as much as possible. As for the oz thing, those that cudnt cut it when things got tight over here buggered of over there, to live the dream as they liked to put it, now things are the other way around there coming back, anything for an easy life i suppose.

discoman:

My brother is off to Adelaide this year to work and he raves about it so what’s the problem ?

Can you get 24v slow cookers then? As I reckon the gas would be a bit dangerous driving along :laughing:

Pasta /rice are my favourite. Cook up some spag and chuck in a sauce with chicken ect makes for a cheap healthy meal. I never use the gas cooker inside the cab though, always outside on the floor…

OVLOV JAY:
Can you get 24v slow cookers then? As I reckon the gas would be a bit dangerous driving along :laughing:

Can you just imagine setting fire to the cab, seat/curtains ect or worse…not knowing the gas had blown out…that is… until it re ignited itself… :open_mouth::grimacing:

I use small 240v slow cooker, it’s only 200w so easily runs off my 1000w inverter.

This thread seems to be getting a little off subject. I just thought it would be good to share a few meal ideas. As for the fresh/tinned debate I agree that fresh usually tastes better, I just tend to use tinned stuff for convenience.

AndrewG:

OVLOV JAY:

Can you just imagine setting fire to the cab, seat/curtains ect or worse…not knowing the gas had blown out…that is… until it re ignited itself… :open_mouth::grimacing:

many of us will of cooked in the cab with Gas as when it’s blowing a gale and pishing down with rain there’s no way we will be even considering cooking outside the cab or going hungry , Obviously we don’t cook and drive at the same time , though i have made a brew whilst driving on the m6 before now,(didn’t spill a drop) or crash into anything

Stew (home made, Carrotts, peas,) all boxed up, and then nuked, same with curry/rice, etc

I use a mini George Foreman Grill, a microwave, rice cooker and a mini oven thing (like a big toaster) and the only thing I have out of a tin are baked beans. I take chicken breasts, steaks and chops from home, I buy my own animals to slaughter too, better quality meat as it’s not been fed a bunch of chemicals and growth hormones. I do it more for the convenience and quality of the food than to save money, but it’s cheaper too which is an added bonus.

Over the years I have tried everything from having an electric kettle to a propane cooker or microwave oven and a coffee maker, all are messy and a dam pain in the ■■■, the coffee maker leaves a filter part that needs washing out straight away, the bowls and other items such a cutlery need washing up, basically it results in a mess so I have given up. Recently I met up with a mate who never eats in diners of cafe’s but always cooks in the cab, we sat talking in his cab as I we chatted I realized how much of a problem it was, frankly there was not enough room and his bed was covered in plates, bowls and other crap and … The cab smelled of cooking.
It was his choice but I have not the same views on life.

Pat Hasler:
Over the years I have tried everything from having an electric kettle to a propane cooker or microwave oven and a coffee maker, all are messy and a dam pain in the ■■■, the coffee maker leaves a filter part that needs washing out straight away, the bowls and other items such a cutlery need washing up, basically it results in a mess so I have given up. Recently I met up with a mate who never eats in diners of cafe’s but always cooks in the cab, we sat talking in his cab as I we chatted I realized how much of a problem it was, frankly there was not enough room and his bed was covered in plates, bowls and other crap and … The cab smelled of cooking.
It was his choice but I have not the same views on life.

It neednt be messy at all, just takes a little organising. I dont cook in the cab but outside, no smells, no mess in the cab and i wash up outside too.The only thing ill use inside is the electric kettle…

Dont Cook, won’t cook is my motto. There are people out there who, for a small fee will prepare, cook and serve food to me. Who am I to deny them the right to work? If I have something wrong with my teeth I pay a dentist, if my car needs servicing I pay a mechanic, if my stomach rumbles I pay a cook. It’s worked so far.

Oh and I’ve got a toaster and a Starbucks Coffee machine too. I don’t know about it being untidy, I guess that depends on the driver to a certain extent and the room/layout of the cab. I’ve got enough cupboards to have all my stuff stowed away out of sight. If I’m cooking a bit of fish or meat on the GF Grill I wrap it in time foil and that keeps it from smoking, there can be a smell of course, but that’s no different to at home when you cook and I don’t find the smell of nice cooked food a problem anyway, quite the opposite in fact.

the maoster:
Dont Cook, won’t cook is my motto. There are people out there who, for a small fee will prepare, cook and serve food to me. Who am I to deny them the right to work? If I have something wrong with my teeth I pay a dentist, if my car needs servicing I pay a mechanic, if my stomach rumbles I pay a cook. It’s worked so far.

Yep, get yer hands in yer pockets. You tight fisted ■■■■ :laughing:

When I was on the road I cooked with gas outside in fine weather and inside if not. On long-haul work it was easier if I had trailer boxes, otherwise I did it all on the diesel tank. Either way, I always used fresh, whole ingredients wherever possible. Obviously things like apples, potatoes, carrots and onions could easily be stored in the cab but meat and fish had to be found and bought just before consumption (as I generally avoided cab fridges which took up too much room and ran the battery down - yes I know they’re much better now). Part of the charm of driving abroad was wandering into the local butcher or the village delicatessen. But I kept odd tins of meat (but never veg) so that I could make a quick stew. I always had plenty of garlic on the go and a good supply of vino collapso to wash it all down with. As for coffee: I used a cafetiere, ground coffee and UHF milk. I almost never cooked in Europe (especially Germany, France or Spain) because the roadside facilities were so excellent. Turkey was first-rate too. I cab-cooked in UK more than anywhere else, except outside Europe. Robert

eagerbeaver:
Yep, get yer hands in yer pockets. You tight fisted ■■■■ :laughing:

That reminds me; next time we’re in The Ropey Anchor it’s your turn to pay for the food!