Cab cooking

I’m thinking of going tramping and looking into little gas camping stoves to cook in the cab. I’ve seen it before where a good place to use this is folding the passenger seat down and using the top of it to but the stove on. Does anyone do this? And what do you put between the seat (or whatever surface your cooking on) and the stove to protect the seat from any heat? Something that doesn’t conduct heat, won’t set on fire itself, but is also nice and small to store away during the day?

Just put a towel down…The bottom does’nt get that hot to be honest…

Best thing I’ve ever bought! And as said don’t get that hot underneath. Depends on type your after but I got a halfords one that uses universal canisters that my local sells for a quid.

My scanny has loads of space in middle cos of engine hump so I put mine there. Nice fry up for breakfast, soup, pasta whatever will fit in 20cm pan and sorted!

Word of warning - ask bossy person first! I did and even though insurers might not like it as he said , if I ‘don’t know about it’ it’s fine !

Depends on your relationship, he knows I’m not stupid so wasn’t bothered. I can think of a few at our place he would be though!

Out of courtesy - ask first

The small single burner stoves you can buy from ebay or motor factors for around £15 are ideal . The gas canisters are cheap and long lasting. I personally wouldnt use it in an enclosed space, outside is safer (weather dependant) and for safety always disconnect the canister from the valve when its not in use, its via a small lever on the front. I tend to only use it for boiling water for instant porridge/ cereals/ pastas and tea ect as theres then no washing up of the saucepan.

Ive just ordered a new stove my cheap £10 one is not sealing the gas tins any more it sent a flame out of the side of it so went in the bin today have got one of these coming
outbackbarbeque.co.uk/shop/o … tml#SID=92

Hope the link works

Ensure the ‘O’ ring sealing the gas cannister is in good nick as I had one that leaked and when I pressed the ignite button it ignited the gas that had escaped and sunk into the drivers and passenger footwell, lots of yellow flames !! :open_mouth:

I’ve got a economy double burner stove from Go Outdoors for £14 with the fo outdoors card, it runs off a 3.5 kg propane cylinder. I can boil some veg up whilst frying/grilling some chicken at the same time or have 2 frying pans on the go at once for a full English.
Don’t just stick to the usuall either, knock up some stir fry with whatever meat you like or currys etc. prepare your stuff like pepers, onion, garlic, ginger etc on a Sunday put them in tubs and it saves you chopping everything up in the week. If you have a fridge put stuff like chilli, stew, curry you have made over the weekend into plastic containers and you’ll have your snap for the week. Even better if you have a freezer section so it keeps longer.

Was cooking at the Beginning,but later came a Law in Place who gave me lots of Time off. Went then to Truck Stops. Wasnt that bad. OK.Had no Diabetes then.
Otherwise the Stem and sparkling Oil will set your Cab in a All-Day Cleaning session

Slightly off topic, but frozen sliced/diced veg (peppers, onions, ect) can be bought for £1/kg bag in the supermarket so saving you £’s and effort buying & chopping fresh veg up.
So just shove a few out of the bag in the freezer in a carton on Sunday.

Hell …you can even get frozen mashed potatoes these days.

My girlfriend cooks meals for me, which she freezes and which I heat up in a pan. I also carry breakfast stuff and cheese and such. The small single burner cookers mentioned above are great, but buy a quality one. And use your head, open the windows/roof hatch and check (sniff/listen) for a leak when you connect the cannister.

I like to mooch around the fresh meat and produce in M&S or Waitrose in the services, as you can often pick up reasonably priced items that are reduced because of their sell by date.

Ham egg and chips are now an occasional treat, rather than a staple diet :laughing: :laughing:

Cooking with a camping stove in a cab is no more dangerous than cooking in the kitchen. If you smell gas, DO NOT light the stove or use anything else that can spark.

peirre:

Yes it’s called a McDonald’s milkshake

blue estate:

peirre:

Yes it’s called a McDonald’s milkshake

don’t you mean McPuke ■■
Normally I’d rather go hungry than go in a Mac D, however I did buy a coffee from the one in Lisboa airport T2 recently.

raymundo:
Ensure the ‘O’ ring sealing the gas cannister is in good nick as I had one that leaked and when I pressed the ignite button it ignited the gas that had escaped and sunk into the drivers and passenger footwell, lots of yellow flames !! :open_mouth:

OhDear, so that can happen! I was always very careful with the seal, a little bit of spit on it before tightening it up to help lube the ‘o’-ring and make a better seal, also a little dab of cooking oil on the seal once in a while seems to keep it in good condition.

I cooked on a stove for many years, when carbon-monoxide alarms came out I was quite shocked at how easy they are to set off when using the stove in a cab, (i spent a lot of time up north and would be keeping the windows shut to keep the midge out) so as mentioned above really important to create as much ventilation as possible, windows open, engine on and blowers on at a high level. Also in the winter time the condensation is a big problem cooking, especially simmering stuff like pasta. I would be away for long periods and everything ends up damp, driving around with washing lines up inside trying to air stuff off.

A mate had a total disaster, a very long time ago paraffin pump up primus stoves were the thing, but they could be dangerous when warming and would occasionally flare sending a plume of burning parafin into the air, the midge was bad and this lad was using it in the cab, it flared and set fire to the insdie of the roof, he got it put out but what a mess, his boss had no sympathy and told him to get on with it, the lad had this semi burnt out cab for years, and with no internal roof the metal ceiling would drip condensation on him continuously - LOL

I always used the bigger Camping Gaz bottle, with a second in reserve so that I never got caught short. Cooking in the cab is fine as long you open one of the windows an inch or so, or open the roof hatch. I would strongly recommend always changing the bottle outside the cab.:wink: Robert

Robert that’s what I used a double ring and grill one with a 5kg gas bottle - always opened the roof hatch to ventilate and by far the best thing other than a small tv a ever bought.

war1974:
Robert that’s what I used a double ring and grill one with a 5kg gas bottle - always opened the roof hatch to ventilate and by far the best thing other than a small tv a ever bought.

Spot on with the double burner, mate! I had one of those, so you could have the kettle going and a saucepan on at the same time. I always kept a little squat glass (that couldn’t be knocked over) for a nice splosh of pre-prandial Rioja while I was stirring the old camion stew. Happy days, eh! Robert

was perfect use to fit snugly in my engine hump no hassle and as you say 1 pan 1 kettle and you could do a bit of toast to go with your beans!

Don’t bother with a gas stove. You won’t use it. Pain in the arse with all the hassle to set it up, cook, creating lots of washing up, and not to mention all the space the stuff takes up, plus the risk of carrying gas canisters. Get with the times and get a pure sine inverter and a microwave. I can set mine up in 1 minute, bung a meal in the microwave, cook it in 3 minutes, throw away the container and all I have to clean is the fork with a wet wipe.

Tris:
Don’t bother with a gas stove. You won’t use it. Pain in the arse with all the hassle to set it up, cook, creating lots of washing up, and not to mention all the space the stuff takes up, plus the risk of carrying gas canisters. Get with the times and get a pure sine inverter and a microwave. I can set mine up in 1 minute, bung a meal in the microwave, cook it in 3 minutes, throw away the container and all I have to clean is the fork with a wet wipe.

Some of us would rather prepare and cook our own snap rather than nuke it. Plus what does a stove and gas bottle take up? If you have good storage space for stuff and a fridge for food you won’t know any different. Unless you are tramping in a car transporter.

Tris:
all the space the stuff takes up

A gas stove & cooking kit probably about the same volume of space as a microwave and inverter.

An even more minimalistic approach to stoves / pots is the zebrahead billy can, details of which can be found here at ukgser.com/forums/showthread … oves/page4