Cab Conversion

Has anyone removed their sleeper beds and isntalled another row of seats in the back of their cabs?> If so, could you give me some pointers please?

Mods - if I’ve put this in the wrong section could you move it please?

Dave

The Mercedes training vehicles have this set up.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete,

Do they now! I don’t suppose you have any contacts/access etc. as I’d like to do the same to my Iveco.

Dave

Mercedes wanted me to take on a franchise for their driver cpc training which involved renting a converted vehicle from them. The conversion was done at the factory and, from memory, gave 4 seats (poss 5) behind the driver. All fully belted and proper job.

To convert an Iveco I would approach the manufacturer first. After that there’s folks advertising chassis alterations and they may be able to help.

I didn’t take Merc up on their kind offer so I don’t know any more.

The training wagons in the army was the same sort of set up, small MAN cabs not sure what type 2 normal seats and a seat in the middle set back where the bunk would be

Young_AL:
The training wagons in the army was the same sort of set up, small MAN cabs not sure what type 2 normal seats and a seat in the middle set back where the bunk would be

And slightly higher with a big break pedal.

I was driving a new coach built mercedes removal wagon a few months ago and that had three (maybe 4) rear seats/bench and seat belts, I cannot remember who did the conversion but I suggest phoning around the companies that build removal wagons as i’m sure it’s not a one off.

Hi Davemfox.I Think most manufacturers must have a conversion or someone who does them for them.My boss has a variety of companies one of which is a training school for truck driving.We have a Scania topline and a Volvo globetrotter both of which have a row of three seats behind the drivers seat instead of beds.Mike

Theres a brand new factory fitted Duel fuel FM Volvo kitted out with 4 seats, for use as a training vehicle/regular truck, theres even a table/shelf between the 2 back seats, so if your doing a day run its a cracking truck to use as there`s loads of room to stretch out while waiting to tip

Thanks for all the replies gents. I’ve contacted Iveco and am waiting on them coming back to me…

Dave

I contatced Iveco and they referred me to my local dealer, who went back to Iveco!

The bottom line is that Iveco don’t really offer a conversion kit!! My local dealer has said that a company called Scot Seats do similar conversions. Has anyone had any dealings with them, or can recommend a similar outfit?

Dave

Peter Smythe:
The Mercedes training vehicles have this set up.

True. I took my test in an Ex-Merc training vehicle and it had 7 seats, 4 in the back.

It really wouldn’t be too hard to do. You could just get two double passanger seats out of a Transit type van and they would have all the seat belt fittings. Just take out the bunk and bolt to the floor. You may need to add some strengthening at the mounting points or mount them to some box section and then fix that to the cab floor.

If you want a firm to do it I would think for anywhere doing minibus conversions it would be a day’s job.

Still not having much luck with this. Anyone have any contacts/suggestions?

Dave

The army use MANs supplied by Ryders, maybe speak to Ryders

Update on this!

I finally found a place that was willing to do the job just outside Preston - JM Horseboxes (http://www.jmhorseboxes.co.uk/) - excellent set of lads there who are really passionate about converting trucks and building bespoke horseboxes/motorsport trucks. I cannot fault their workmanship.

I’ll post some pics up of the seat conversion.

Not so good is the fact that there is NOBODY in Scotland who was willing or interested in doing this job - how pathetic is that!

Dave