Cab break in, France

One of our drivers has woken up this morning to find his passenger door slightly open and all his cash gone, every thing else not touched, this happened at the shell services, aire du mont de just north of Reims on the southbound side.

Bed News, but lads, can we not keep our money in a few places around the cab rather than one place, resulting in it ALL been nicked.

These criminals are after money, not bothered about the amount so tuck up some money nice and safe

Put your seat belts through the door handle and clip them in as normal, you might have to slightly adjust the seat but it does work. Also you can permanently leave passenger one in if you so wish.

Hi all.This really ■■■■■,for anyone to be robbed is bad but when it’s in your own ‘‘home’’ it’s worse.WHY can’t truck manufacturers make some additional safety device to add to trucks.When i lived in Holland and worked for Pilkington we had Scanias.Due to several drivers being robbed a lot of guys fixed some home made gadgets for keeping the doors closed even when the lock was opened.I took off one of the bolts on the door panel and welded a piece of chain on to it[only about 4ins].This was threaded round the grab handle and locked with a padlock.When you opened the door it only opened about 2ins,not enough to get anything in to cut the chain and the movement of opening the door wakes you up anyway.Even if you were gassed the effort of opening the door makes most theives go somewhere else.Alot of companies also fitted small safes for money,passport,cards,etc.The money is not the biggest problem,it’s replacing all your personal papers.Mike

I always kept my cash hidden around the cab never in one place for such reasons.

Really sorry to hear that happened. :frowning:

I’m always sceptical of these "robberies " !
I’ve simply never seen any compelling evidence that this is as common place as some drivers would have us believe.
Before I get slated, I’m absolutely certain it has happened to some. BUT I believe most stories to be just that. Stories.

There is for a lot of drivers no need to make the story up of a robbery, it’s there own money.
Hardly any company gives the driver running money.
It happens a lot more than you think, and the experience leaves for a long time his mark.
Your lucky if it hasn’t happened to you, but why would anybody make the story up, you don’t impress anybody with it.
It’s absolute ■■■■ whne it happens, and your gutted for days why it happened to you.
Been 30 years on the road, happens only once, but never forget it!!!

Spoke to him again, he is a good lad and I would be extremely surprised if he made it up, the money was in two places ( not sure where) we get £100 running money and he had £400 of his own including money for various friends baccy which he will have to pay back to them. I hadn’t thought of using the seat belts, I use a strap and ratchet door to door if I think it looks a bit dodgy

russell2587:
Spoke to him again, he is a good lad and I would be extremely surprised if he made it up, the money was in two places ( not sure where) we get £100 running money and he had £400 of his own including money for various friends baccy which he will have to pay back to them. I hadn’t thought of using the seat belts, I use a strap and ratchet door to door if I think it looks a bit dodgy

I agree Russ our gentle giant ‘xtra’ . . . 1, would not make this up and 2, prob hasn’t got the brains too.(sorry ‘xtra’ )He’s also one of our longest serving drivers as the boss would agree no reason to doubt him! its sad to think that fellow drivers would think its some kind of scam!! My guess is once they found the cash they were happy and seeing the size of him they done one as he started to stir! (also the fact he carries £400 round with him and is a single man with no kids shows he isn’t hard up enough to make up a dodgy claim if he gets any of his own cash back!)

russell2587:
One of our drivers has woken up this morning to find his passenger door slightly open and all his cash gone, every thing else not touched, this happened at the shell services, aire du mont de just north of Reims on the southbound side.

was it on the A4 ? VRIGNY AUT A 4 AIRE DE VRIGNY Is the only shell i can find on the shell web site

Happened to me a couple of years ago in Thurrock services, luckily I woke up as he was climbing into cab, instant serious rage, chased him up the park with a tyre iron, he jumped into the back of a car and beat it.

tommy t:

russell2587:

was it on the A4 ? VRIGNY AUT A 4 AIRE DE VRIGNY Is the only shell i can find on the shell web site

just noticed the last bit of the rest area name is missing, it’s aire du mont de nizy on the A26 near j14 north of Reims and the Reims toll booths

This absolutely is not a made up story I assure you but this has happened to me twice, once in Italy and once in Spain. I run in Spain with exterior covers over the locks sorry I cant remember the name of these gizmos but they are white very visual and very effective, They are not cheap About£80 I think but they readily available in Spain and certainly at the Truckstop at Barbezieu N10 France

russell2587:

tommy t:

russell2587:

just noticed the last bit of the rest area name is missing, it’s aire du mont de nizy on the A26 near j14 north of Reims and the Reims toll booths

I have ended up there ( going towards Reims)in the past, after doing a trl swap, the place used to be full at night , parking areas are not very well lit , i suppose like most service areas easy pickings for them, until they encounter someone who stops them permanently
there was no parking spaces available so had to park on a access road within the parking area, folded my n/s mirror in and hoped for the best,lol when i woke up everyone had gone, sun was beating down, cab became an oven .

Portugal used to wonderful for break-ins. I used to leave a wallet in the windscreen with a fiver in it. Broken into in Porto & all they got was the fiver.

I never park on the services now, just jump off the motorway and park where i can.

i always used the ratchet strap method never fails