Cab Accesories

Hi all, just want a bit of advice as I know some truckers on here will have everything INCLUDING their kitchen sink :laughing:

Im driving a daf cf sleeper cab, euro 5 engine and have just bought a 22" tv for the bottom of the bunk to watch on my nights out, along with a 12v 300w power inverter.

The cigarette lighter is only connected to one battery and indicates that its a 12v cigarette port on the dash.

Now ive chcked the out the output wattage on the tv and it says that on mode consumption is 20w, whilst the maximum output is 50w, depending on the use of the tv.

Question is, will my batteries be okay with this, plus the nightheater and the bedlight?

Any peace of mind would be great, what do you power in your cab and how many watts?

62 plate truck too so fairly new batteries…

Cheers!

if you have receipt for tv take it back and look for one with 12v on the back I got 19inch with freeveiw and dvd built in for 90 quid in currys cut the plug of the cable and fit plug to fit never had problem and if worst should happen take the tv back not the cable that you have cut the plug off and for my kettle 24 volt the one to get again get rid of the plug and replace with standard house plug get a 24 supple run to a box type socket done this for years stops the cheap cig style plugs from heating up and meltin don’t know where you r in country but I always use the lad at the fleece junction 42 m6 carlise never had any probs

ryan worsley:
The cigarette lighter is only connected to one battery and indicates that its a 12v cigarette port on the dash.

It’ll be a 12v cig lighter socket, but it’s most likely powered by a built in 24 - 12v dropper rather than only connected to one battery. Not that that’ll make any difference to the wattage available to you, but it means you don’t have to be concerned about one battery being sucked dry.

If this helps at all… im currently running a tv thats about 9 inches, hence the upgrade, i know i can watch that basically all evening… 2 more watts of power wont make much diffwrence will it?

Before the OP plugs anything into anything, it may well be advisable to check the output voltage of ANY socket they plug their kit into with a multi meter that you could buy for 99p
Itll beat letting the smoke genies out

Crocodile clips on the battery with the wires coming in through the bottom of the passenger’s door? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Retired Old â– â– â– â– :
Crocodile clips on the battery with the wires coming in through the bottom of the passenger’s door? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

That method works but you have to keep taking the battery cover off every time the clips come adrift. Its easier if you just randomly keep thrusting em into the fuse box until telly sparks into life :smiley: :imp:

I cant be sure from the photo but if there is a socket to the left of the cigar one it is a 24v lucar socket, plugs available at Maplins amongst other places. Higher amps i think.

ryan worsley:

If this helps at all… im currently running a tv thats about 9 inches, hence the upgrade, i know i can watch that basically all evening… 2 more watts of power wont make much diffwrence will it?

5A 12v = 60watts
15A 24v=360watts

An inverter will only draw what it needs, but it’ll use a bit more to run itself as well.
A 12v inverter is going to be less efficient than a 24v inverter because your 12v inverter supply has to go through a dropper before it gets to your inverter. That means running your engine a bit more to keep your batteries charged for the same amount of telly watching time. Also, a 24v inverter has far more juice available to it for running other things, like a DVD player if you’re in a poor reception area or telly is dire.

You should still be ok running your new telly through your 12v inverter. 50watts will be its initial start-up/warm up draw, once it’s on and up to speed it’ll use 20watts. There shouldn’t be any problem running your telly along with your night heater and interior lights.
I’d invest in a 24v inverter as soon as possible though.

Simon:

ryan worsley:

5A 12v = 60watts
15A 24v=360watts

An inverter will only draw what it needs, but it’ll use a bit more to run itself as well.
A 12v inverter is going to be less efficient than a 24v inverter because your 12v inverter supply has to go through a dropper before it gets to your inverter. That means running your engine a bit more to keep your batteries charged for the same amount of telly watching time. Also, a 24v inverter has far more juice available to it for running other things, like a DVD player if you’re in a poor reception area or telly is dire.

You should still be ok running your new telly through your 12v inverter. 50watts will be its initial start-up/warm up draw, once it’s on and up to speed it’ll use 20watts. There shouldn’t be any problem running your telly along with your night heater and interior lights.
I’d invest in a 24v inverter as soon as possible though.

Thanks Simon,

I understand now, it certainly does say maximum output 50w, but on the energy sticker most large appliances have on, it says grade a 20 watts. Exactly the piece of mind I was looking for. Thanks :slight_smile: