C1 vocational drivers with grand father rights

Chatting to one of the delivery drivers that come to our place he asked if we knew anything about having to re-take his class C1 to be able to driver legally after 2014 - he has his C1 via gradfather rights… i am totally bemused and have not heard anything about this at - is it just a miss understanding and he is on about his Driver CPC ?

No mate he’s confusing it with DCPC.

He’s right in a sense, inasmuch as he won’t be able to USE his C1 licence to earn a living after 2014 unless he does DCPC; but he won’t need another driving test.

As said he will need to do the 35 hours Driver CPC periodic training before September 2014 to continue driving commercially, but he will not need to take another driving test.

In other words its not worth jack-■■■■■ , not like the old grandfather rights…they still want to skank you for a few hundred quid to drive a tonka…biggest rip off ive ever seen in this industry…plus all the drivers coming upto there 45th birthday can look forward to a hefty tax on there job …medical…DCPC…great getting older…my eye… :imp:

shytalk:
In other words its not worth jack-■■■■■ , not like the old grandfather rights…they still want to skank you for a few hundred quid to drive a tonka…biggest rip off ive ever seen in this industry…plus all the drivers coming upto there 45th birthday can look forward to a hefty tax on there job …medical…DCPC…great getting older…my eye… :imp:

In the case of 7.5 tonners, I’d suggest it’s actually less of a rip-off. If by any chance you hold those grandfather rights, you can still legally jump into a 7.5 and drive it without any training whatsoever. Those of us who already hold HGV’s might reasonably think they’re a doddle to drive, but what about the bloke who’s never driven owt bigger than a car? I’ve seen the results of this scenario before; driver took a 7.5 out of the yard, appriached a junction, he applied the brakes like he would have on his car, locked it up, hit a wall and wrote it off. Not to mention the number of bashed roofs I’ve seen because people forgot how high the ■■■■ things are; tiddlers to us, yes, but dangerous in inexperienced hands like anything else. that was one of the primary reasons why the exemption was dropped, and IMO rightly so.

ok so you need 35 hrs training to drive a 7.5t truck for a living. soooooooooooo what about the guy who goes along to his local vehicle rental depot and hires a vehicle (7.5t. that he has a licence for) to move house■■?,doese he then have to employ a driver who has taken the training??

syramax:
ok so you need 35 hrs training to drive a 7.5t truck for a living. soooooooooooo what about the guy who goes along to his local vehicle rental depot and hires a vehicle (7.5t. that he has a licence for) to move house■■?,doese he then have to employ a driver who has taken the training??

Hard to hire one without O licence and spare margin …

bowser:

syramax:

Hard to hire one without O licence and spare margin …

True although if you could the answer would be no as it’s private use.

syramax:

No because he won’t be driving for commercial purposes, therefore he doesn’t need to do the DCPC.

shytalk:
they still want to skank you for a few hundred quid to drive a tonka…biggest rip off ive ever seen in this industry…

If there weren’t the amount of questions and outright ■■■■■■■■ posted about drivers hours on this forum plus what you see people laughingly call load securing you’d have a point. However there are the questions and outright ■■■■■■■■ posted, there are people without a clue how to load a wagon and secure it so the DCPC is badly needed.

£400 for 35hrs training is cheap.

Conor:

shytalk:
they still want to skank you for a few hundred quid to drive a tonka…biggest rip off ive ever seen in this industry…

If there weren’t the amount of questions and outright ■■■■■■■■ posted about drivers hours on this forum plus what you see people laughingly call load securing you’d have a point. However there are the questions and outright ■■■■■■■■ posted, there are people without a clue how to load a wagon and secure it so the DCPC is badly needed.

£400 for 35hrs training is cheap.

:wink:

Back to my old argument…ive driven trucks for the biggest part of my life…from the little ones to the 44 tonnes…because of ill health a while back my doc wont pass me to go back on class1 …so now im demoted to 7.5 tonne…whoopee i get grandfather rights until 2014 another whoopee ! , i can strap a load and rope and sheet, throw me in any truck you please if i havnt driven it it doesnt take me long to master it, but at my age there aint many i havnt driven, so where is the DCPC GOING TO HELP ME ? its a rip off ! and clever cloggs on here who keeps popping up like a bad smell keeps trying to convince all and sundry we all need it…bollox, i dont thanks.

I’ve been driving 7.5 ton on grandfather rights for ten years between 1997 and 2007. Does this mean I need to do this course to drive in the future?

Clunk:
I’ve been driving 7.5 ton on grandfather rights for ten years between 1997 and 2007. Does this mean I need to do this course to drive in the future?

Yes it does matey…get ya wallet out .

shytalk:
Back to my old argument…ive driven trucks for the biggest part of my life…from the little ones to the 44 tonnes…because of ill health a while back my doc wont pass me to go back on class1 …so now im demoted to 7.5 tonne…whoopee i get grandfather rights until 2014 another whoopee ! , i can strap a load and rope and sheet, throw me in any truck you please if i havnt driven it it doesnt take me long to master it, but at my age there aint many i havnt driven, so where is the DCPC GOING TO HELP ME ? its a rip off ! and clever cloggs on here who keeps popping up like a bad smell keeps trying to convince all and sundry we all need it…bollox, i dont thanks.

I sympathise… but cast yer mind back a few years. When I started working, you didn’t need a comprehensive training course to drive FLT’s, loading shovels, or any other item, of plant either. Nor did you need to do any Elf & Safety stuff before you went on a building site; you just turned up. Same if you were on the railways; as you well know you can’t even set foot trackside now without holding a PTS certificate.

It was only ever a matter of time before some bright spark in Brussels decided we needed this continuous training malarkey, which if we’re being realistic just brings vocational drivers into line with what I’ve mentioned above. I heard FLT drivers putting forward the very same arguments as you years ago; blokes who’d been doing the job since God was in short pants and were without a doubt very experienced. They still had to do the course to keep their jobs. It’s the same for us whether we like it or not. I don’t care much for it either; but luckily I get paid for doing it, and I’d far sooner spend a day in the classroom than getting ■■■■ wet through ■■■■■■■ bags of feed into a dirty old pig shed.

Sidevalve:
In the case of 7.5 tonners, I’d suggest it’s actually less of a rip-off. If by any chance you hold those grandfather rights, you can still legally jump into a 7.5 and drive it without any training whatsoever. Those of us who already hold HGV’s might reasonably think they’re a doddle to drive, but what about the bloke who’s never driven owt bigger than a car? I’ve seen the results of this scenario before; driver took a 7.5 out of the yard, appriached a junction, he applied the brakes like he would have on his car, locked it up, hit a wall and wrote it off. Not to mention the number of bashed roofs I’ve seen because people forgot how high the ■■■■ things are; tiddlers to us, yes, but dangerous in inexperienced hands like anything else. that was one of the primary reasons why the exemption was dropped, and IMO rightly so.

Couldn’t agree more, I can’t imagine my wife jumping in to a 7.5t and she can drive one on her car licence. She is a good car driver but wouldn’t have a clue in a 7.5t truck :open_mouth:
I think it is well needed and not before time.

I hear what your saying, the grandfather rights bit is a joke…your not getting anything ! and trying to sell it to me is as bad as a double glazing sales man, but theres allways someone that swears its the thing to do…why ? because its there job.

Clunk:

To drive any LGV (over 3.5 tonnes GVW) commercially after 09/09/2014 = yes
Privately = no

Does this still apply to the old paper type licences ? I think they expire at 70.

grumbo:
Does this still apply to the old paper type licences ? I think they expire at 70.

Yes it does
jaupt.org.uk/LatestNews/Driv … nce+Update

Paper Licence Holders — Obtaining a Driver qualification card (DQC)

As of the 18th October 2011, following the introduction of new regulation, Holders of a UK paper driving licence will be obliged to exchange it for a photocard licence to receive a DQC following completion of 35 hours periodic training. Paper licences will still be admissible for the attendance of periodic training.

gov.uk/driver-certificate-o … n-card-dqc

If you have a paper licence

You’ll need to swap your paper licence for a photocard licence before you can get your DQC. This is because the DQC needs a photograph and signature, which are taken from the photocard details.