C1 grandfather rights

I’ve read somewhere that if you have C1 grandfather rights on your licence you can drive 7.5 tonners, I’ve also read somewhere that you cannot drive 7.5 tonners for hire or reward if you have the grandfather rights C1.

So can’t I do agency 7.5 tonners until I pass my Class C which I sit it again in a fortnight?

Cheers

allanwhyte77:
I’ve read somewhere that if you have C1 grandfather rights on your licence you can drive 7.5 tonners, I’ve also read somewhere that you cannot drive 7.5 tonners for hire or reward if you have the grandfather rights C1.

So can’t I do agency 7.5 tonners until I pass my Class C which I sit it again in a fortnight?

Cheers

As far as I know If you’ve definitely got cat C1 on your license you can drive a 7.5 tonne goods vehicle regardless of weather or not it’s for commercial purposes,.

However check your license to see if there’s a code 101 next to the C1, if there is then you can not use it for hire or reward, if there’s no code 101 you can drive 7.5 tonners for hire or reward :wink:

If there is a code ( number ) that may give you a clue a 101 code “Not for Hire or Reward”

allanwhyte77:

Someone is getting confused with C1 & D1 me thinks

allanwhyte77:

Cheers

As said, you can do C1 for H&R anytime - no restriction on it for that purpose.

A 101 restriction code next to the catagory is a ‘not for hire and reward’

tachograph:
However check your license to see if there’s a code 101 next to the C1, if there is then you can not use it for hire or reward, if there’s no code 101 you can drive 7.5 tonners for hire or reward :wink:

If you’ve got this next to your C1 entitlement then it’ll be a mistake by the DVLA as it should be restriction free. Obviously if it is there (unlikely) then you can’t drive for hire or reward.

I haven’t got my licence with me at the moment but it does have C1 on it. The only reason I’m asking is there was an add in the paper last night for an agency looking for 7.5 drivers and I thought whilst I’m waiting to pass my Class C, I could try and get some work on 7.5.

Go for it, before i got my C i was driving 7.5 T for 12 years through grandfather rights.

If you passed your car driving test before 1997 then you automatically got C1 on the licence without restriction.

Yup I passed it in 1987. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I’ll have C aswell as C1! :slight_smile:

What kind of a gear box do they have?

allanwhyte77:
What kind of a gear box do they have?

Usually a 5 speed box just like a car, some have a 6 speed, some old mercs have effectively got 4 plus a crawler.

Everyone iv’e driven had 5 or 6 speed straight boxes.

One I drove on friday nice 57 DAF Six speed straight.

regards
paul

Most of the MAN I have drove are a straight 6 speed with 1 reverse gear :laughing:

lol
good job you never mis typed and said men animal

:open_mouth:

a loot of the newer ones have auto boxes now. especially the MAN’s. a pin to drive but ok once you get used to them. just take it easy to start with until you learn how they react to different things like roundabouts and hill starts.