C1 course?

Hi all, can anyone recommend a C1/C1+E course in the Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire area?

Also, how difficult is it to drive a 7.5t compared to a 3.5t transit van - is it the same principles or is a 7.5t more like a full Cat C in how the steering handles and worrying about wheel position?

What are the job opportunities like in my part of the world for a C1 driver? The local paper seems to advertise a few but mostly through agencies.

Are these lot any good - mkc1drivertraining.co.uk/index.php

Any particular reason for wanting C1? if not why not just go straight for C then C+E?

Héraultais:
Any particular reason for wanting C1? if not why not just go straight for C then C+E?

I was going top ask the same question

I went from driving a small van then a sprinter done this for a while then 7.5t ( C1) not a prob just have to remember it is a bit longer & a bit wider but no different

When started driving Cat C or class 2 no real difference to driving a 7.5t

So if used to driving a 3.5t dont worry not a lot of difference maybe a little longer & little wider

But if you can just go for the Cat C as you can & about the same price then you can drive any rigid vehicle

Cheers, i’m on a week long cat C course now and posted this yesterday after a bad day at the office and thinking of other options but today was a lot better, it seemed to click right for the first time all week so in with half a shout for my test tomorrow. It’s all about time on the road and there is a lot to take in in five days, it’s a different way of driving altogether from a 3.5t van to a 19t, 33ft long lorry. Don’t know if I would look for employment sraight away in a similar size vehicle, i’d probably go for a 7.5t job to get some experience of that first. Night driving and bad weather driving are things i’ve not tried for example. It’s all about keeping your speed under control for the Cat C i’ve found. It won’t stall like a van would. If your on the right road line and in the right gear and speed, then your most of the way there.

Good luck for tommorow mate. I have mine first thin in the morning aswell. I seem to find after about 2.5 hours of training i start to make silly little mistakes like forgetting mirrors and stopping to close to cars at traffic lights. All simple things though !

How did it go mate?

halfers:
How did it go mate?

Failed for three silly miss-judgements. 1)Forgot to put handbrake on when stopped, 2)approached a roundabout too quickly and 3)made an on-coming white sports car slow down in a residential street (git!). Apart from that, I only had three minors so I’m not too disheartened. The other two lads on the course also failed and made more mistakes than I did so i’ll give it another go. Instructor said I don’t need any more lessons (told one of the other lads he needed another weeks training!).

All in all, I’ve had to learn how to A) drive properly again as I’d forgotten all my MSM basic stuff though being a delivery driver rushing around everywhere and B) learn how to drive a totally different machine to what I’ve driven before - and for any other newbies reading, it can be done - just slow yourself right down and I lost a couple of days teaching myself that.

I’ve got a real respect for all you guys driving lorries for a living. Driving my Fiesta 5 miles to my parents house after leaving it at home all week was a surreal experience, felt like I was driving a toy car. One other tip for potential newbies reading this is re-learn your MSM routine, use your mirriors in your own car a LOT more (every gear change), stop yourself drifting over to the kerb and imagine you’ve got a range change button on your car gearstick - flick it down when you come to a stop, flick it up when you’re out of second gear.

How did it go for you Halfers?

That’s unlucky. Thats all it seems to be whilst driving in your test. Mirrors mirrors and more mirrors. Thankfully i passed but i made some silly mistakes and had 7 minors. 2 of those were from being hesitant as i didnt want to risk pulling out and making a car slow down as that would of been an instant fail. When i got back to the test centre to do my reverse i ended up about an inch away from the barrier, bit to close haha. But a pass is a pass i suppose.

I know what you mean about getting out of the truck in to the car it feels like your driving a go kart.

halfers:
That’s unlucky. Thats all it seems to be whilst driving in your test. Mirrors mirrors and more mirrors. Thankfully i passed but i made some silly mistakes and had 7 minors. 2 of those were from being hesitant as i didnt want to risk pulling out and making a car slow down as that would of been an instant fail. When i got back to the test centre to do my reverse i ended up about an inch away from the barrier, bit to close haha. But a pass is a pass i suppose.

I know what you mean about getting out of the truck in to the car it feels like your driving a go kart.

Well done mate! Better to take a minor for being hesitant than making the car slow down like I did.

Angloman:

halfers:

Well done mate! Better to take a minor for being hesitant than making the car slow down like I did.

Thats what i thought. Now on for C+e that will be interesting.