C&U Regulations

Does anyone on here have any knowledge of the construction and use regulations please? I’m ordering a new trailer and as of 1st October all new trailers must have side guard rails fitted to the chassis of the trailer. The only way you can stop them from being fitted is by way of an exemption under the constructions and use regulations.

As it is a tipper I’m just wary that farmers always want to bump their wheels of your trailer when loading with grain. These side rails will not take kindly to being rammed by a loading shovel so I was wondering how I would go about getting this exemption using this as a reason? Would I simply take them off myself and state the C&U if I get stopped or do I have to actually apply for exemption?

Cheers
Matt.

I think they come on quick release pins so you can swing them in/fold them towards the chassis if needed for loading. May be wrong though!

Threaten the farmers!

As regards exemptions, the trailer builder should have a good handle on what they can get away with.

With rigid tippers, you can only get away with not having the sideguards, underruns etc if you have a certain amount of chassis ground clearance.

The purpose of the exemption is cross-country mobility. I doubt you could make that argument stick if you have the trailer coupled to a conventional tractor unit, but, as said, the trailer manufacturer should be up to speed with C&U and Type Approval.

here, pages 61 to 77
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … l-2013.pdf

Trukkertone:
here, pages 61 to 77

If I read this correctly then any tipping body is in the ‘exempt’ list?..

Race Trucker:

Trukkertone:
here, pages 61 to 77

If I remember…tippers are also exempt from spray supresssion & rear overhang limitations■■?

sideguards and rear underun have to be fitted to new tippers for type approval but once you are operating the trailer it comes under construction and use regulations which give an exemtion for side guards and rear underun so you can legally remove them no problems

mickcrane:
sideguards and rear underun have to be fitted to new tippers for type approval but once you are operating the trailer it comes under construction and use regulations which give an exemtion for side guards and rear underun so you can legally remove them no problems

Have you done this yourself or do you know someone that has?!
Cheers
Matt.

We used to have terrible problems with the ministry regarding our timber carriages.
The regulations used to say that trailers designed for timber or steel of exceptional length were exempt from the spray and side guard regs but when presenting the trailer for test at Shrewsbury they would fail it,even though it was written in black and white.
Llandrindod Wells test station would pass them.

To save grief from the wheel tappers,we made our own…bolted box section to the chassis and the side guard rails would slide inside the box section,or take them off and a couple of pins and R clips to sit the guards in the right place when travelling.

ShropsBri:
We used to have terrible problems with the ministry regarding our timber carriages.
The regulations used to say that trailers designed for timber or steel of exceptional length were exempt from the spray and side guard regs but when presenting the trailer for test at Shrewsbury they would fail it,even though it was written in black and white.
Llandrindod Wells test station would pass them.

To save grief from the wheel tappers,we made our own…bolted box section to the chassis and the side guard rails would slide inside the box section,or take them off and a couple of pins and R clips to sit the guards in the right place when travelling.

We had great fun on the fallen timber trade, we could get away with almost anything, no sideguards, overweight, mudguards missing, broken bolsters, over length,. Sorry occifer, forestry work, ok driver, on you go :laughing:

The timber buyer would girth a tree whilst it was stood upright, the fellers would drop it and it gained half its own weight in moisture. If we were too much overweight, we could drag a trunk off with a chain and pick it up next time.

Daz1970:

Race Trucker:

Trukkertone:
here, pages 61 to 77

If I remember…tippers are also exempt from spray supresssion & rear overhang limitations■■?

Spray suppression yes, rear over hang not sure

Tipper Tom:

Daz1970:

Race Trucker:

Trukkertone:
here, pages 61 to 77

Spray suppression yes, rear over hang not sure

Rear overhang is not a problem on forestry work :laughing:

EFCO.jpg

xfmatt:

mickcrane:

Cheers
Matt.

done this on a fleet of 50 + tippers told by vosa at swansea that this is ok

mickcrane:

xfmatt:

mickcrane:

Cheers
Matt.

done this on a fleet of 50 + tippers told by vosa at swansea that this is ok

Cheers mate. Do you just remove them and say no more or do you have to sign something/write a letter stating reasons for removal? Cheers.