C.r.t.s ackworth

Posted this on euro forum to try to get anybodys grey cells going but not a lot of responce,
i strarted at Ackworth Transport in 84 the euro work at packed in around the mid 70s there was still some old tilts parked up in the graveyard behind the garage ,there were a few drivers still there that did the euro work but didnt get to know a lot about the old euro work just wondered if any of you old hands have any info.
They started in the 50s and ive been told they were one of the first.

P05136.jpg

$T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssO25BR89iu)OBg~~60_12.jpg

$T2eC16N,!zcE9s4g09trBR9oiyByN!~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!r!E+oZLDp5fBQMi5Ll7O!~~60_12.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!q!FHoV,jDWZBR8o4YdjLg~~60_12.jpg

A few more pic s

BIG AW:
Posted this on euro forum to try to get anybodys grey cells going but not a lot of responce,
i strarted at Ackworth Transport in 84 the euro work at packed in around the mid 70s there was still some old tilts parked up in the graveyard behind the garage ,there were a few drivers still there that did the euro work but didnt get to know a lot about the old euro work just wondered if any of you old hands have any info.

aup andy,i thought your old man would have told you or stuart cuttle,i started at ackworth/onward in 1972 ,but I worked for eric attwood for nearly 4 years before that with plonker & alan Edwards,roy wormald,alan rollins, and quite a few more,so I remember the continental boys at the time were big denis Thorpe not the little one lol, :smiley: danny Griffiths, Frankie parkin,■■■■ horner, I think there was mick cant remember his second name :blush: dave stevos mate,i know they stared in 1951 and ackworth were the first,i remember there used to be a swiss firm come into yard sometimes with there macks I think they mighj have been part owned by storeys not sure, anyway next time I see Frankie parkin ill ask him, he was my brother in law nearly nearly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:,ill see you around andy, royhebb (the worlds best roper & sheeter bar none any takers lol ) :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

aup andy,i thought your old man would have told you or stuart cuttle,i started at ackworth/onward in 1972 ,but I worked for eric attwood for nearly 4 years before that with plonker & alan Edwards,roy wormald,alan rollins, and quite a few more,so I remember the continental boys at the time were big denis Thorpe not the little one lol, :smiley: danny Griffiths, Frankie parkin,■■■■ horner, I think there was mick cant remember his second name :blush: dave stevos mate,i know they stared in 1951 and ackworth were the first,i remember there used to be a swiss firm come into yard sometimes with there macks I think they mighj have been part owned by storeys not sure, anyway next time I see Frankie parkin ill ask him, he was my brother in law nearly nearly :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:,ill see you around andy, royhebb (the worlds best roper & sheeter bar none any takers lol ) :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Roy, does Frankie Parkin still drink like a fish?? I had a few nights out with him when I worked at Birtley. I thought I could drink Newcastle Brown!!! he could drink it strained through a cows arse :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Happy days eh? The first time I met Frankie was at Widnes truck stop about 1986. We got on like a house on fire. Regards Kev. Ps young?? Iain has a shot of your motor at Birtley services when you were delivering the wages, he’s going to put it on the Ackworth/Onward thread shortly.

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

Aup roy i remember Alan Rollins he was on the Mobil job when i was at Ack last i heard he was bad with the cancer? i think Roy Wormald went on to start a firm with his son stevos mate was Mick Barker he went to Barnsley on the M&S job ,and i ant seen Frankie Parkin for years he must have retired by now (tha didnt do much roping and sheeting on that Berwick trunk)thats what mi dad says :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey, one more

Bye Eric,

Kopie van Leon Vangaever.jpg

BIG AW:

hope im putting this in right place,yes frank parkin retired now, he only lives round corner,i havnt seen him for a while but he was a boy alright,when we used to park up in London he used to work behind the bar that the kray twins owned,he ended up in traffic office at purfleet for a while,last job he did was heavy haulage abroad about 11 years ago,tell ur dad hes only jealous cos he couldn’t rope an sheet as good as me,but how could he , with one hand, he always had his pipe in the other :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

hope im putting this in right place,yes frank parkin retired now, he only lives round corner,i havnt seen him for a while but he was a boy alright,when we used to park up in London he used to work behind the bar that the kray twins owned,he ended up in traffic office at purfleet for a while,last job he did was heavy haulage abroad about 11 years ago,tell ur dad hes only jealous cos he couldn’t rope an sheet as good as me,but how could he , with one hand, he always had his pipe in the other :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hiya iain looking forward to seeing foto of my truck,alan rollins died im afraid a few years ago now,he wasn’t that old either,but life goes on :frowning: if I see Frankie ill mention you to him, :wink:

Didnt know Alan had died Roy knew he was poorly, didnt Frankie last work for Vanguard at Leeds ■■ i dont know Danny Griffiths but did he move to Bristol and open an Hotel ■■.
Me dad had the phone in his other hand reporting back to Barker in traffic Roy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
(dont think so ) that little ■■■■ walked by mi dad last year in Tesco and ignored him so me dad pulled him up and all he could do was make out he hadnt reconised him funny thing his me dad ant changed a bit.

BIG AW:
Didnt know Alan had died Roy knew he was poorly, didnt Frankie last work for Vanguard at Leeds ■■ i dont know Danny Griffiths but did he move to Bristol and open an Hotel ■■.
Me dad had the phone in his other hand reporting back to Barker in traffic Roy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
(dont think so ) that little [zb] walked by mi dad last year in Tesco and ignored him so me dad pulled him up and all he could do was make out he hadnt reconised him funny thing his me dad ant changed a bit.

Here you are Roy thats the hotel got this from another Roy , Roy Fields remember him he had this given years ago when he worked for Walker Trowbridge.
Dont think that its still open.
Dont think he had permission to use photo with him blacking out the livery.

BIG AW:

BIG AW:
(dont think so ) that little [zb] walked by mi dad last year in Tesco and ignored him so me dad pulled him up and all he could do was make out he hadnt reconised him funny thing his me dad ant changed a bit.

Here you are Roy thats the hotel got this from another Roy , Roy Fields remember him he had this given years ago when he worked for Walker Trowbridge.

how could he not recognise your dad, last time I saw him he was driving for c&t smiling away :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: he is just like tut orrell always smiling :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,he was the happiest man I ever saw tee hee :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

BIG AW:

how could he not recognise your dad, last time I saw him he was driving for c&t smiling away :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: he is just like tut orrell always smiling :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,he was the happiest man I ever saw tee hee :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lets be fair guys, Al (A.B) would probably walk past his own Mother/Brother/wife in tescos and pretend not to know them!! He’s even handed that way even if he wasn’t in handing out the work!!
AND TBH Roy, IMHO depending on which attributes of rope and sheet you were claiming (speed, neatness?)- Kenty and Dizzy Des must have been quickest, and Ron Harrison was extremely neat! I’ve got one of Barker’s old Traffic sheets somewhere with everybody on it! I’ll see if I can find it.
Nice to hear you’re all still sipping that cup of diesel!
Neil S

hiya neil,dizzy dez now let me see, :smiley: this is a true story, when des & mick booth were shunting in crystal drinks, I used to carry a little notice to put in cab window, with the wording as follows ( the driver of this vehicle did not rope & sheet this trailer ) just in case I picked up a loaded tr from chrystal which was quite a lot :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cos des looked after me because we are mates :blush: :blush: so to be fair to des the sheets were designed for 48 pallets of bottles not a single deck load,but back to sheeting, there was only 2 drivers anywhere near me for neatness-security-all dollys in a line-so much so you could look from the back of the trailer and see straight through the dolly holes and that was on a windy day, :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: so a on a nice warm sunny day well what can I say except wheres my trumpet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: forgot to mention the drivers names,have a guess :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ■■■■■■ & ■■■■ o leaky,and they were way behind :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: wheres the salt

Onwardnupward:

royhebb2:

BIG AW:

BIG AW:

Lets be fair guys, Al (A.B) would probably walk past his own Mother/Brother/wife in tescos and pretend not to know them!! He’s even handed that way even if he wasn’t in handing out the work!!
AND TBH Roy, IMHO depending on which attributes of rope and sheet you were claiming (speed, neatness?)- Kenty and Dizzy Des must have been quickest, and Ron Harrison was extremely neat! I’ve got one of Barker’s old Traffic sheets somewhere with everybody on it! I’ll see if I can find it.
Nice to hear you’re all still sipping that cup of diesel!
Neil S

Aye up Neil hows it going. you might have seen it anyway but if you look through this forum there is an Ackworth/Onward thred with some photos!!you should tap thi dad for some old photos .

Andy

Hi Chaps, good to hear from you!
I have them all! (photos) they will be on our website shortly!

We’re operational again now (as opposed to just leasing the sheds) at Cas depot, its working out quite well, John Storey’s running it.
No wagons though!! they cost too much to run now!!

Onwardnupward:
Hi Chaps, good to hear from you!
I have them all! (photos) they will be on our website shortly!

We’re operational again now (as opposed to just leasing the sheds) at Cas depot, its working out quite well, John Storey’s running it.
No wagons though!! they cost too much to run now!!

hiya neil, so one man went to mow, no more went to mowa meadow,more like went to mow a warehouse,wish him luck,go on get some trucks ill do some part time in between airports, still got every licence :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: if you need me,