C.M.Downton fined 350k

In the construction Index of today it states that C.M.Downton and its customer UPM of Shotton have both been fined £350k over causing the death of a Downton driver by an UPM loading shovel driver.This should not have happened.

leaderlive.co.uk/news/17447 … papermill/

Write up in the local rag.

Often wonder where the money from these fines end up,Would imagine the whole lot goes to the family of the deceased but knowing how government agencies work I doubt the y see a Prenton and it just gets slung in the big fine pot…

The Next of Kin get nothing from the fines. They would claim against the employer’s insurance.

Loss is calculated on what the deceased would have earned in the rest of his life. So a merchant banker is worth many times more than a roadsweeper.

Gardner6LYT:
In the construction Index of today it states that C.M.Downton and its customer UPM of Shotton have both been fined £350k over causing the death of a Downton driver by an UPM loading shovel driver.This should not have happened.

That’ll be ignoring that stupid pointless health and safety some on here keep telling me is a waste of time.

There was a locking gate at the access, a new walkway had been constructed around the building which removed the risk of a collision, and a blue light system had been introduced on the shovel loaders to indicate that they were approaching.

All vehicle movements were halted when operators were walking on the warehouse floor.

Wonder how long it’ll be before someone posts in here they were delivering there and “you can’t believe what stupid health and safety they have.”

Conor:

Gardner6LYT:

That’ll be the lorry driver and loading shovel driver ignoring that stupid pointless health and safety some on here keep telling me is a waste of time.

There appears to have been negligence on the part of the shovel driver but the primary cause was that a safe operating procedure was not in place, not that it was ignored.

"It was clear the risk of death or physical impairment was there because there had been no segregation of vehicles and pedestrians within the warehouse, he said.

Both companies had fully co-operated and made changes and accepted their full responsibilities."

I used to work for Downton’s and was in and out of there almost daily. Shovel drivers playing on their phones, people wandering around, fork lift/clamp drivers on their phones, place was ridiculous. Funny thing was though, the minute you didn’t have your hard hat on people could not wait to come steaming over to you giving it the H&S drivel.

The wearing of a hard hat certainly did not help this chap, and in the VAST majority of cases it is simply a waste of bloody time. Container terminals demand that you wear one, why FFS? Is it going to protect you from a heavy lifter or a crane? Or a container being knocked off on top of you? :unamused:

Of course H&S has it’s place Conor, but it is how it is applied that is important and in the majority of cases it’s bloody pointless.

eagerbeaver:
Container terminals demand that you wear one, why FFS? Is it going to protect you from a heavy lifter or a crane? Or a container being knocked off on top of you? :unamused:

I work within the steel industry namely coils, these are obviously loaded by overhead cranes, I too posed the question regarding hardhat verses a 12tonne coil dropped on my bonce from 25ft in the air…

The reply was somewhat eye opening…

Yes a coil will probably kill you outright nothing much is going to change that, but what about the loose bolt or socket ratchet left up on the gantry that now vibrates loose above your head?

Glad you were wearing the silly hat then eh?!

The obvious hazard is often rarely the one that gets you…

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X704F using Tapatalk

xichrisxi:
Often wonder where the money from these fines end up,Would imagine the whole lot goes to the family of the deceased but knowing how government agencies work I doubt the y see a Prenton and it just gets slung in the big fine pot…

I would think the Hse get a fair chunk as they charge a huge amount per hour when investigating such events.

eagerbeaver:
I used to work for Downton’s and was in and out of there almost daily. Shovel drivers playing on their phones, people wandering around, fork lift/clamp drivers on their phones, place was ridiculous. Funny thing was though, the minute you didn’t have your hard hat on people could not wait to come steaming over to you giving it the H&S drivel.

The wearing of a hard hat certainly did not help this chap, and in the VAST majority of cases it is simply a waste of bloody time. Container terminals demand that you wear one, why FFS? Is it going to protect you from a heavy lifter or a crane? Or a container being knocked off on top of you? :unamused:

Of course H&S has it’s place Conor, but it is how it is applied that is important and in the majority of cases it’s bloody pointless.

Which Downton depot were you at? I know of a convicted ■■■■■■■■■■ who drives at the Gildersome depot. Obviously they never did a criminal check on him

ArcticMonkey:

eagerbeaver:

Which Downton depot were you at? I know of a convicted [zb] who drives at the Gildersome depot. Obviously they never did a criminal check on him

Runcorn mate.

Punchy Dan:

xichrisxi:

I would think the Hse get a fair chunk as they charge a huge amount per hour when investigating such events.

That’s the ‘costs’…basically the HSE is funded through these investigations. As soon as the HSE turns up, the meter is running. That’s why nearly everyone pleads guilty at the first opportunity.

Reef:

eagerbeaver:
Container terminals demand that you wear one, why FFS? Is it going to protect you from a heavy lifter or a crane? Or a container being knocked off on top of you? :unamused:

I work within the steel industry namely coils, these are obviously loaded by overhead cranes, I too posed the question regarding hardhat verses a 12tonne coil dropped on my bonce from 25ft in the air…

Yes a coil will probably kill you outright nothing much is going to change that, but what about the loose bolt or socket ratchet left up on the gantry that now vibrates loose above your head?

Exactly,my hard hat is scratched n marked,if something does that to plastic what would happen to skin?
Everybit of ‘daft’ health n safety is there because as many on here,know bertter,unable or unwilling to follow basic instruction

Reef:

eagerbeaver:

I have been doing a fair bit of work from a cage recently and it has always struck me (no pun intended) that the forklift driver is in more danger than me; I could so easily drop something accidentally.