C+E Trouble changing down the box to 5th gear

thanks for previous advice lads appreciated it by the way i passed on wednesday 3rd time at garrets green birmingham with 3 minors wooo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well Done. Got the result. :smiley:

SI_A:
thanks for previous advice lads appreciated it by the way i passed on wednesday 3rd time at garrets green birmingham with 3 minors wooo :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi SI_A

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your LGV test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

If you don’t mind me saying so, that was rather a good score. Nice one mate!! :smiley:

Congrats on passing :wink:

Hello everyone been a while since i posted on here since class 2 i guess :open_mouth:

I just wanted a bit of sound advice of the tnuk drivers basically i have had 4 days training for C+E from last tuesday to friday with bit of training this tuesday before my test i’m having a bit of trouble at times with 5th gear it seems to be when changing down from 7 or 6 not all the time but seems to be hard to get in at the best of times my fellow trainee was also struggling my instructor assures me that 5th gear is always quite difficult with all trucks (sorry is a 4 over 4 gearbox) this seems to be intermittent and wondered if there was any techniques i could use to try and aim for a smoother gear change. cause when it happens its horrendous.

i didnt really have this problem in any class 2 splitters, i just dont want to get a load of minors or serious for gear changes on tuesday for somthing completely avoidable or do i skip 5th and try to go 6 to 4 :laughing: thanks in advance lads !

Are you trying fifth gear when traveling a bit to fast maybe? Other thing I found it can be difficult to select a different gear when going around a corner or a roundabout, as the gravitional forces act. Thus the cab is moving in a outward movement. If you get what i mean.

at times i have but i have to rev the engine quite high from 4 to 5th to make sure it goes in 99% of the time but seem sto go in eaiser changing down from around 20 mph to 16 mph anything above or below its a no go just me pushing furiously and its like the gear has moved lol

Sounds like a bulk ring on the selector in the gearbox has a problem. Maybe you should ask if anyone else has a problem with it.

Your reving to over come the pressure in the selector that could be worn.

Have you tried double-de-clutching ?

Hi. It’s total nonsense to say that all trucks have trouble engaging 5th gear!! There are two normal reasons for it being a struggle and both have been touched on already. I don’t know what the truck is or how weary it is but many trucks will pull from walking pace (literally just moving) in 5th gear with no problem. Remember that the truck is empty - it’s clearly a different ball game when loaded. Bearing in mind the truck will pull from, say, 5 mph in 5th you’d be asking a lot to get it into 5th at, say, more than 10 or 12 mph. It’s so common for candidates to try and ram it in at anywhere from 20mph upwards. It won’t like it! So the first suggestion is slow it right down.
Following on from this, you could try using 6th more. Again, depending on the vehicle, 6th will comfortably deal with quicker turns and roundabouts. Time and time again I’ve had folk come from other trainers and they’re hell bent on changing down for no real reason. It’s best to use the highest gear in which both you and the truck are comfortable. If it will pull, it’s comfortable. If you feel you haven’t got full control, the gear is too high.
And, of course, it could be a mechanical fault. You can’t do much about that but the trainer needs to get it sorted. It’s unfair to use a vehicle in anything but A1 condition for training - especially in things like the gearbox department.
The crucial thing from the OP is that the trainer doesn’t seem to be able to help.
Said it time and time again - - not all training is the same. Any half-decent trainer should be able to sort this problem out - - even if it’s a mechanical fault. There’s methods of driving for a test where you can drive happily all day without using 5th.
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow - suggest you ask your trainer for advice. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks its a foden 04 plate by the way thanks for the advice much appreciated.

its a foden 04 plate

which could be as good as when it was new or could be an absolute knacker-box. Either way, your instructor should be able to sort it with you.

Good luck for tomorrow, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

From what you are describing above Peter I would say you are probably using 8 speed knock over Iveco vehices as we make exactly the same assumptions about turnings and roundabouts.

We move away in 3rd then go directly to 5th. Thats the end of low range until we physically stop again. We only go up to 7th in a 30mph area and the rev counter sits nicely in the centre of the green band.

Changing up we advise not to exceed 1800rpm in each gear. Changing down from say 8th to 6th on a junction approach we advise drop the speed to 20-25mph before engaging 6th. If the speed drops as low as 10mph use 5th.

Not all trucks will be identical but probably not a lot of difference. Strangely with the drawbar attached not a lot really changes despite the extra weight (except the fuel consumption increases by about 20%)

The key to a smooth downwards change is GET THE SPEED DOWN. On an upwards gear change take a slight pause in neutral in between the gears to allow the engine time to slow down.

Regards

John
Flair Training