C + E training

Passed my class c 5 weeks ago and decided to my class 1 whilst the training I had for my class 2 was still fresh in my head although completely different thing altogether some of the basics will be the same so went for my assessment yesterday with the same company that I done my class 2 with for obvious reasons anyway wasn’t sure if I would take to class 1 driving so if the assessment didn’t work out or I didn’t feel comfortable then I would be happy enough with my class 2 here’s a little diary of the event .

Arrived at depot 9.45am assessment was at 10.00am booked in had a wee chat to instructor didn’t feel nervous at all I was sure that was going to change shortly when I was introduced to the Volvo unit with I think 14m long trailer attached .

Instructor talked me through the controls showed me where everything was ect then said he’d drive for a wee while so I could see how it was done road positioning speed braking ect thought when he meant a wee while he would drive further than 500yrds but he did drive through 2 round a bouts so had a wee idea and as I live in the town I know the area

Anyway he stops after the 500yrds and says ok Tom in the hot seat on you go he sat in the instructor seat giving me directions and instructions watching every move I make after about 5min thought to myself this is not for me and all I’ve done is drive in a straight line on a wide road with no dramas (was out about an hour all in )

Then after a wee while he took me through the town centre plenty of traffic parked cars up through tight streets no mercy by the way

At the end of the assessment at the depot he got me to do a reverse parking exercise which I did very well in my own opinion but it’s the instructors opinion that counts anyway he was very pleased with my drive plus part way through he decided to move into the passenger seat rather than the middle instructors seat and stopped giving me instructions he let me drive with just his directions thought it all went well so booked training for 5 days starting 11th November 2013 with test on the 5th day any tips or views would be very appreciated cheers folks

I was in a similar position last year, did class 2 in June, then class 1 in October while the learning mentality was fresh.

Got to say, I found the artic far easier than the rigid, weird, considering I was driving 7.5s full time.

PaulNowak:
I was in a similar position last year, did class 2 in June, then class 1 in October while the learning mentality was fresh.

Got to say, I found the artic far easier than the rigid, weird, considering I was driving 7.5s full time.

Yer felt the same Paul once I got to grips with the vehicle I was fine and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but by no means think I will just turn up and fly thro training and test still got a lot to learn thanks for the reply m8

Good luck mate I had bout 8months between class 2 and class 1 I’m just waiting for insurance to clear with a company then hope to be on artics at weekends pulling refrigerated trailer :grimacing:

Toddy5453:
Good luck mate I had bout 8months between class 2 and class 1 I’m just waiting for insurance to clear with a company then hope to be on artics at weekends pulling refrigerated trailer :grimacing:

Yer thanks Toddy hope it all goes well for you I have a full time job at mo this is a wee ambition of mine to get to class 1 put out a little fortune so far I will do a wee training diary when I start to keep everyone updated cheers m8

Just remember, you can’t see everything in your mirrors on a reverse.

DO NOT FEAR THE SHUNT!

I was winging it (test day nerves) and to be honest I hadn’t got a clue what was going on.

Straighten her up, calm yourself down and have another go.

Yes (and you don’t find this out usually) a shunt counts as a minor fault, but is it such a big deal to pass with a clean sheet?

For me it was a financial thing. There was no money in the bank for a retest. I either passed it first time, or waited for a windfall. Which might have been so far off, I’d have needed retraining.