C+E training - W & D or Full Artic?

I’m still looking at doing my artic licence but undecided as to do in W&D or full artic?

I can see pros and cons for either but for those who have done it which did you think helped in real life?

W&D - plenty of trucks on road so work is there for these but does this limit you to not having artic uncouple - couple experience?

Is is easy to move to a tractor unit ?

Conversely - are you limited from passing in an artic unit to trying to get W&D work ?

Personally I think I could pass a W&D easy ( ok well easier!) but would I then struggle if faced with a full artic?

Do companies actually ask what type you passed in?

Pass in a W&D and you’ll struggle in an artic for a few days. Pass in an artic, you’ll struggle in a W&D for a few days. Horses for courses.

That’s what I figured, trying to get feel for which might be best in long run

This subject has previously been “done to death”! We operate both w+d and artic so I have no axe to grind and I’ll just tell you the facts. Without a doubt, it’s easier to pass in w+d. To master an artic (with a little assistance) takes less time than you’d imagine. It’s harder to train on an artic - - but our pass rate is every bit as good with artic as w+d. I put that down to folks really concentrating on the size and configuration of the truck.

Everyone is after 2 things. Firstly, pass the test. Secondly, be capable of driving artics. Personally, I recommend training on w+d and then a conversion course (3 hours) to artic without the pressure of a test.

But, as I said, our pass rate on artic matches that on w+d.

Folks passing on artic then being faced with w+d will only have to learn the different coupling and get used to a different pivot point on the reversing.

We have a local employer who takes our new CE drivers and they run a huge fleet of w+d and artic. Whatever someone has passed in, they will train them to deal with the other one.

There really is no definitive right and wrong.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Book in where you feel comfortable irrespective of W&D artic, auto manual.

Get the Licence then you learn the job in hand.

Paul :smiley:

Thanks for replies guys, think it’s safe to say get licence and think about the shortcomings and address after !

Paul - I’ll see about wandering over to your place tomorrow or sat as nothing on and your only 10 miles or so away and can then talk to your staff about way forward

Won’t go into auto or manual then :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

dcgpx:
Thanks for replies guys, think it’s safe to say get licence and think about the shortcomings and address after !

Paul - I’ll see about wandering over to your place tomorrow or sat as nothing on and your only 10 miles or so away and can then talk to your staff about way forward

Won’t go into auto or manual then :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Give me a ring before you come just to make sure I’m around. (No staff I do it all)

Hope to see you soon.

Paul :smiley:

Ok will do - thanks

Good choice. With Paul it’ll be w+d manual.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just on this I have my old HGV 2 I went to do my class 1 this year and they put me in a W+D
But I can drive that already on my licence, they said its easy to pass your class1, my Q why can I not drive a artic then if the new rules and test allow you to pass driving a W+D and my licence is. CE but with a code against the artic part.

andrew.vaughan.1804:
Just on this I have my old HGV 2 I went to do my class 1 this year and they put me in a W+D
But I can drive that already on my licence, they said its easy to pass your class1, my Q why can I not drive a artic then if the new rules and test allow you to pass driving a W+D and my licence is. CE but with a code against the artic part.

When the rules changed from the old HGV system to the new LGV system there was an issue with those who were given free W&D without passing a trailer test

They could either revoke their W&D entitlements (not very fair) or give them a restricted C+E (fairer)

That left the anomaly where those with W&D only could get full C+E by driving themselves alone to a DVSA test station in a W&D, put on L plates, do the test and then pass or fail remove L plates and drive away by themselves

The same sort of thing also occurs for the B+E test where a B driver can take a B towing set up to do the B+E test

if your going to do it, do it properly. do it in a full size artic

if your new to this then when you pass and you go to your first job, you dont want to look like a ■■■■■■■■ not knowing how to couple and uncouple properly

the procedure is different for W&D

trainers only do W&D so they can teach class 2 and class 1 after all

one other point…how many W&D do you see on the road anyway?

ARTIC my friend…if your anywhere near the north west go to transport training academy in atherton

thats my ten bobs worth…

Timmo

ROG:

andrew.vaughan.1804:

When the rules changed from the old HGV system to the new LGV system there was an issue with those who were given free W&D without passing a trailer test

They could either revoke their W&D entitlements (not very fair) or give them a restricted C+E (fairer)

That left the anomaly where those with W&D only could get full C+E by driving themselves alone to a DVSA test station in a W&D, put on L plates, do the test and then pass or fail remove L plates and drive away by themselves

The same sort of thing also occurs for the B+E test where a B driver can take a B towing set up to do the B+E test

clear as mud :wink:

I passed in a wagon & drag and nobody’s ever asked which type of truck I passed in. All the work I’ve done has been in artics. I did get some practice in an artic before but it wasn’t a whole lot of use because of the instructor’s behaviour (which I mentioned in a previous thread). If you like, you can get a lesson in an artic after your test (which I’d recommend) but the important thing is passing the test and you can much more easily do that in a W&D.